‹ Prequel: Smiling Politely

For One Beat More

She Keeps My Heart Beating For One Beat More

“Come here Nicholls,” Lexi smiled, holding her hand out to Matt. BMTH were hosting the Warped barbecue tonight and she had taken her job as cocktail mixer very seriously.

Matt smiled lopsidedly at her as he took her hand and pulled her into his chest, “You, missus, are a wee bit steamin‘.”

“Yes I am,” she nodded with a giggle, kissing him softly.

He smiled at her, still a little high from the blunt he and Oli had shared earlier, and ran his hand from her waist round to the small of her back enjoying the feeling of the soft cotton of her rose printed dress, his eyes never leaving her heavily eyeliner ones. She thought she could feel the slight heat of a blush spreading across her cheeks at the weight of his hand on her body and was only mildly aware of their surroundings but she had never felt safer.

“I really fucking love you, ye know tha‘, righ‘?” he stated more than asked.

Her eyes danced across his face, she liked to look at him and make sure nothing had changed, that he was still her Matt, “I love you too.”

“Good,” he grinned, making her laugh. They remained standing as close as possible in the middle of the parking lot, ignoring the party going on around them for what was probably a much longer time than either of them realised.

“I’m glad Amanda decided to come out with the Drop Dead guys,” Lexi mused as she watched her friend and her boyfriend dance together.

Matt nodded, “Me too. Given Oli somethin’ t’ do with his time other than be a cock.”

“But he wouldn’t be Oli if he wasn’t being a cock,” she smiled.

“This is true. Come on,” he entwined his fingers with hers, “We’ve got a longish drive tonight.”

She nodded and smiled, “To Las Vegas.”

Matt deposited his red cup of beer into a nearby trash can as Lexi waved at Lee Barratt, her friend and the drummer of Gallows.

“The Entertainment Capital of The World.”

They waved at one of the Leone twins as he stumbled past on his way to refill his cup.

“Sin City.”

They reached the dark bus and Matt propped her against it before he let go of her hand to fumble at his belt loop for the keys.

“Capital of Second Chances.”

He successfully opened the door and maneuvered her up the steps, one hand on her back, the other closing the door behind them.

“Lost Wages.”

She dodged the crap around the place as his hands on her hips guided her through the dark lounge towards the bunk area.

“The City of Lights.”

He helped her tug off her dress and into one of his shirts before she curled into their bunk, her back against the wall so he had plenty of room.

He sighed as he watched her eyes flutter closed and she folded her hands under her head, “I need t’ keep ye off tha’ Wikipedia.”
♠ ♠ ♠
they are too cute for words. comments.....