I'm With the Band

Well, I'm not

* Amber's Pov*

Charlie.........

He's one of my best ever friends. He's been there for me. He's known me since I was born. He's made laugh and helped me with everything. So I should be happy that he's dating Lana, right?

Well, I'm not.

Lana is one of my best ever friends. She's been there for me. She's known me since I was born. She's made me laugh and helped me with everything. So I should be happy that she's dating Charlie, right?

Well, I'm not.

Lana's got everything. She's skinny, she's pretty. She's got cool clothes and loads of CD's and all her parent's attention. And now she's got Charlie too.

I like Charlie.

We like the same stuff. When we were little, we had the unicorn club. We would gallop round the park, our hands curled over, neighing and giggling. We would watch Star Wars videos, sing the Spongebob theme tune and write creepy vampire stories. We would go swimming and shopping together.

So..........

I like Charlie. He's funny, he's cute....his floppy hair, big Bambi eyes and cute squint glasses. Scrawny shoulders, skinny waist and thin fingers.

Cute.

Of course, he only likes Ms Perfect Lana.

Pale skin. Hazel eyes. Long straight silky brown hair. Perfect waist and neck and.......

She's still my friend.

I'm just angry at her.

" What's wrong, Amber?" Dad asks. We're both sitting on the sofa, Dad reading some drumming magazine, me just sighing painfully. I shake my head.

" Nothing. I'm fine."

Dad gives me a long, hard look-I inherited his blue eyes.

" I am."

Dad won't stop looking at me in that sad way. I sigh, get to my feet and go up to my room. It's messy and dark and I trip over my drum kit as I walk in. Bobby must have been playing it secretly again.

I flop down on my bed and stare at my ceiling. It's pretty boring, and I roll over onto my stomach. I pick up my phone and punch in Tilly's number.

TILLY:Hey?
AMBER:Hey, Tilly, it's me.
TILLY: Hi, Amber. You Okay?
AMBER: No.You?
TILLY: No. Why?
AMBER: Nothing. Why you not Okay?
TILLY: I can't tell you.
AMBER: Is it something to do with Maxie?
TILLY: Maybe.
AMBER: Face it, Tills, you adore him.
TILLY: What's wrong with you, anyway?
AMBER: The whole Charlie thing.
TILLY: Awww, sweetie. Don't worry. It'll be Okay.
AMBER: You're supposed to say I'll be in with a chance.
TILLY: Yeah, but.....they love each other so much.
AMBER: Yeah. I know. Whatever. How's Maxie?
TILLY: Okay. He really hates Japan. He wants to come home, and Uncle Jorden too.
AMBER:I'm not surprised. Do you really miss him?
TILLY:Way. God, I gotta go. Speak soon, sweetie.
AMBER: Bye, Tilly.

I put the phone down and slope over to my computer. I log into the Internet and go on happygoth.com. I check my messages and see I've got one from Charlie:

Message from: Young-and-totally-Hopeless
To: Drummer-girl

Hi Amber.

I haven't spoken for ages, I've been really busy. Mom took me shopping the other day, got some really cool shirts and loads of CD's.
Mikey is driving me up the wall, but Lucie's still a little sweetie. I'm really missing Max, I want him to come home.

Charlie
xox

I click on his link to his page. The screen goes black, with bright red letters across the top-Young-and-totally-Hopeless. Pics of Charlie's fave bands appear, and then I click on a link to his message board.

He's got a big picture of us all-me, Tilly, Max, Lana and himself-last Christmas, squashed together in the warm, snowflakes in our hair. I'm sitting next to him, and his arm is draped round my shoulders.

He's added a new picture.

Ag.

I feel sick.

Him and Lana, her smile sickly sweet. She's a head taller than him but she's resting her head on his shoulder, pouting.

I don't message Charlie back.

See how he likes it.