Picking up the pieces with you

Chapter Three

Jessica’s POV

“She needs to see a doctor Frank,” Who the fuck was Frank.

“No she doesn’t Gerard she’s fine. Trust me.” Who the fuck is Gerard?

“You call this fine? She’s been lying unconscious on the bleachers for the last 45 minutes. How the fuck is that fine?” Oh God! Those boys!

“Gerard think about who we know. Nat, Manda, Piper. They’ve all been here, done this and they were fine,” Who the fuck are they talking about? Can’t they shhhh my head hurts.

“Um Frank, not that I don’t trust you but the girls have never smashed their heads against lockers before.” O.k. enough of this.

“Frank’s right I’m fine,” I cracked open an eye just in time to see the cute geeky one fall down about three steps.

“Ahuh, see I an a geeeeeenius. I said she’d waaaaaaaaake up. I said she was fiiiiiiine. You didn’t bellllllllllieve me, but I was riiiiiiiiiiight,” The lip piercing guy started dancing around, getting up in the other two’s faces. I guessed he was Frank. He was quite cute, if not a little spastic.

“Shut up Frank, Master of all-knowing,” The one with shoulder length hair and a gorgeous smile sarcastically said before turning back at me. He had his arms on his hips and was standing one step up from me. Not a bad view really? “I’m Gerard. Are you okay?”

I slowly sat up and took in my surroundings. We were at the east side of the field. The far side of the school. Just sitting here brought up memories. I shrugged them away shivering. “Yeah I’m fine. Just a little cold,” I shivered again.

“Here have this,” Gerard took off his hoody and held it out to me.

“Aww thanks. But that’s okay. I got to get going. Thanks for looking after me” I stood up to leave ignoring the hoody. Oh God I’m going to be sick. I felt myself start to sway as the wind hit me. My head was rushing and I wasn’t sure if I was going to stay conscience. But then some strong hands grabbed my shoulders, steadying me.

“Obviously your not fine. Sit down and put this on,” He practically pushed me back down and handed me his jumper. I turned round ready to argue. I mean who was he to tell me what to do. He didn’t even know me. But all words left me. He was even sexier up close. His hair had fallen in front of his eyes and he casually pushed it aside.

“Thanks,” I stuttered out.

“No problem.” He sat down next to me and looked pointedly at the jumper. I sighed and put it on. There was no way that I had the energy to argue with someone so determined. I pulled my hair free and took a deep breathe in. It smelled really good. Somewhere between cigarettes, grass and hazelnut? “I’m Gerard. And that geek over there who’s still dancing is Frank. Seriously Frank stop. You’ll scare her.” I saw Frank pout and let out a small giggle. He reminded me of myself when I was six. “The other one is Mikey,” He grinned and sat down in front of us.

“Hi,” I bit my lip. What else should I say? “I’m Jessica.” I looked down blushing slightly. It was quite intense when three guys stared continually at you.

“You used to be a cheerleader aye? Went out with Jonathan Parke.” I looked up at Frank, who was staring curiously at me. One eyebrow raised.

“Yeah,” I knew it was too much to hope they didn’t know about me. “Why?”

“Oh I was just wondering,” Wondering my ass? I watched him share a look with Mikey and I stood up.

“Well this has been fun. Thanks for looking after me but I have to go,” I grabbed my bag.

“Jessica, wait.” I felt Gerard’s hand on my wrist and made the mistake of looking up. He looked like he was surrounded by a pink glow. The sun was setting. I really had to go. I quickly pulled out of his wrist and half ran, half jumped down the stairs.

“Thanks for everything,” I yelled over my shoulder before jogging across the field into the car park. I got in my car and took a deep breath, looking in my rear vision mirror to see if they had followed. They hadn’t I started the engine and sped off. It wasn’t till I was home, luckily having bet my whole family, about to have a shower that I realised I was still wearing his jumper. Shit!

**************************************************************************
“Jessica what time will you be home?” My mother called through from the kitchen. My mother is one of those typical, rich, naturally beautiful housewives. She had long red hair and dark green eyes. My sister had inherited both and loved to rub in how she looked like family but I didn’t. Probably because I was adopted but all the same she loved that she could appear ‘better than me’.

“I don’t know.” I yelled back. Never, hopefully.

“Can you pick up your sister from her dance practise at five? You know she got the lead for step and spin this year? Do you remember when you got that? You looked so beautiful, with your hair curled and the cute little purple dress…”

“Whatever mother,” I snorted cutting her off. I hated when she got into one of her reminiscing moods about how ‘perfect’ I used to be.

“Jessica, don’t be like that. We got you that car so you could be helpful. Not so you could drive all over town and desert you family,” I clenched my fists at my side.

“Yeah o.k. Whatever. I’ll pick her up,” Just shut up you stupid bitch. Hmmm banana or mango?

“Oh and we’re going out to dinner tonight,” Banana. Wait what?

“We are? Why?”

“Well I mean, your father, Ashley and I are. We need you to look after the house and make sure nothing happens,” OMG! That is the worst excuse I think she has eve used. “It’s too celebrate for Ashley. We didn’t think you’d be interested,” Well she’s got me there but that is so not the point.
“Okay sweet as. Bye,” With that I turned on my heel and left the kitchen. My family is so obvious that they hate having me here. I wouldn’t be surprised if I came home one day to find them renting out my room.

“Just a moment Jessica,” I stopped and turned round. She had followed me out into the lounge still mixing the cake mix or whatever it was. “Do you really think that, that ‘jumper’ is appropriate for school?” I looked down. I was wearing Gerard’s hoody again. It was warm and it looked really cute on me.

“Yeah I do,”

“Well I don’t and neither would your school. Now go upstairs and change,” Fuck you.

“They don’t really care what we wear mother. I’m not changing,”

“Jessica, do not argue with me,” Argh I hate you.

“Then don’t tell me what to do,” Just leave me alone.

“I’m your mother. It’s my job to make sure you dress appropriately for society. I can’t have you making the family look bad,” Oh here we go.

“That’s what it’s always about. Isn’t it Mother? The family. You really couldn’t give a flying fuck about me. Either stop being such a bitch or stop trying to be my mother,” Her mouth dropped open and her face turned red. She was on the verge of tears. Maybe I went to far? I stormed out through the living room and the sunroom making sure I slammed the door behind me. If that didn’t give her the hint then nothing would.

I got in my black Evo III, revved the engine and drove off. As much as I hate school, there is no way I was staying at home today.

I stopped of at the dairy. I needed a smoke, badly and I had finished of my packet last night. Technically I shouldn’t be allowed to buy them being only 17 and all, but Jack, the 62 year old shop keeper, and I had a deal. He sells me smoke whenever I want them and I steal my dads $560 bottle of Brandy, once a month and give it to him. His wife would kill us both if she knew, with him having a liver infection and all. Or maybe it was his kidney. I don’t know Biology was never my strong point.

“Hey Jack,” I sing songed as I walked through the door. “Look what your favourite customer brought you today. I placed the brown paper bag on the counter.

“Oh Jessica, you really are an angel.” He beamed at me over his thin, ovular glasses.

“Oh shucks Jack. You’re making me blush. It was no problem. Father won’t even know it’s gone,” I smiled as he reached for my ‘Lucky Strikes’. I grabbed a grape lollipop and popped it in my mouth.

“Here you go little missy,” He placed my smokes on the counter. I made to grab my wallet from my back pocket.

“$10. 80 right? Including the lollypop?”

“Oh no, no. It’s on the house today,” I shook my head.

“Jack I can’t. That would be the third time this month.” He just smiled and me and pushed the cigarettes closer to me.

“If you don’t take it for free, I’ll pay you for the brandy. No arguments. Just take them or you’ll be late for school,”

“But Jack-” I protested but he cut me off.

“No Jessica. Now go.” Stubborn fool. “I’ll see you soon,”

“Fine you win. Thanks Jack.” I basically skipped out of the store. Jack was the greatest, kindest man ever.

As soon as I was back behind the wheel, I lit up a smoke. A thirty pack? That sneaky little codger. I took a deep relaxing drag. Smoking can be such a release. As I drove I noticed how quiet my car seemed. Not for long.

I fumbled through my CD case till I got to my Iron Maiden CD. The best thing about my car was the sound system. I had the newest subs and amps that the market could supply.

I frowned at my CD player. Why the hell wont you go in? I pressed the eject button even though the last CD I had listened to was now sitting in my stereo at home. Snoop Dog? What the hell is that? No, WHY the hell is my sister’s crap in MY car? Fuck this shit.

I rolled down my window. It can lie in the ditch for all I care, stupid piece of shit. I looked at my side mirror and watched it smash into segments. It made me smile.

Now for proper music. I sild it in and lit up another cigarette as the opening beats of ‘Aces High’ came on, tapping my fingers against my steering wheel.

‘There goes the sirens that warn of the air raid,’ I glanced down at the clock. Shit! I only had five minutes to get to school, run to my locker, get my books and run to the other side of the school to get to calculus. I mean come on, why the hell did my locker have to right between the music and the drama departments? I mean I love the fact that its there, it’s basically the only place that isn’t crowded by either, jocks, cheerleaders, teachers, skaters, nerds or stoners. But it’s just so far away from all my classes minus drama.

As I pulled up onto the student car park, I took one last longing drag from my cigarette and stabbed it out. I grabbed my spray from underneath the dashboard and quickly encased myself in the fumes before popping two mints into my mouth. I grabbed my checking that all it’s contents were safely still in there and got out, locking and alarming my car as I did.

As I approached the front doors I saw the stupid old hag Mrs. Cameron standing there, looking hawk eyed and waiting for any latecomers. I swear that was how she got her thrills.

Great detention and I haven’t even been here for five minutes. God I hate this school!