One of the Boys...Right?

Chapter 11

"Pass the rolls, please." Devon said with his mouth full.

"Dont talk with food in your mouth, Devon. It's rude." aunt Elise scolded him.

"Faith. It's a piece of ham. It wont stain your dress." Noah rolled his eyes at his sister who was eating slowly.

"Jess, I never asked. How was April? I know she's been busy since Phil's operation." aunt Kelly said after taking a sip of champagne. She hated alcohol, but uncle Jim insisted we have champagne for dinner.

"She was fine. I didn't stay too long because she was making dinner. She was using the pie recipe you gave her." I said.

"Didn't she use it at Thanksgiving?" Kelsey asked.

"Were you over at their house for Thanksgiving, too? Do you go around the neighborhood for holidays?" uncle Jim laughed.

"No, uncle Jim. She doesn't. Her parents are out of town. And we were all over at my friend's house for Thanksgiving. We go there every year." I said icily.

"I think she did, Kelsey." aunt Kelly intervened in the conversation so I wouldnt be tempted to launch my fork across the table at my uncle.

"So why don't you go there for Christmas, too?" Devon asked.

"Because they have family over and we have family over." aunt Kelly explained.

"Are Jessie's mommy and daddy at her friend's house?" Noah asked. I gripped my fork so hard that my knuckles turned white.

"No, Noah." uncle Jim sighed.

"Where are they?" Faith asked.

"Dead." uncle Jim finally said. I brought my head up so fast that I thought my necklace would snap. Kelsey gasped.

"JIM!" aunt Kelly exclaimed.

"Kelly, they ask the same question every year. I'm tired of hearing it. Noah, Jessie's parents died when she was 8." uncle Jim explained.

Everything goes to hell when wine is involved.

"JIM!" it was aunt Elise's turn to exclaim. I stood up so fast that I knocked over my glass of milk.

"What are you going to tell them next, uncle Jim? You wanna tell them how my mom and dad died?" I seethed.

"That's a little graphic. Maybe when they're older." he shrugged.

"I can't believe you. I'm ashamed to be your niece. I'm surprised my dad wasn't ashamed to be your brother. You're acting like nothing happened!" I was shaking. Tears balanced on the rims of my eyes.

"Faith, Devon, Noah, Katie. I'm sorry that you have to call THAT" I pointed to my uncle. "Your dad." I finished.

"Now you wait just a second, Jessica. You're acting like a brat, do you know that? Your parents died. Do you expect everything to be handed to you?" he stood as well.

"I don't expect anything to be handed to me! I work my ass off just to get through my day-to-day stuff! And then I have to deal with you, always criticizing me and making fun of everything I do! You may think it's funny, but it isn't! I finally start to feel normal after 8 years and then you make me feel like I don't belong!" I yelled.

"You're just like your mother. Always yelling and wanting to fight. To this day, I don't know what my brother saw in that woman." uncle Jim said bitterly.

"I have a perfectly good reason to yell! It's because you're an asshole who walks all over people who are different than you!" the tears spilled over.

I stomped away from the table, to the stairs, and finally up to my room. Once Aleu was safely inside and sitting on my bed, I slammed the door as hard as I could. I kicked off my shoes and almost tore off the dress, changing into black pants and a dark red wrap top. I put on a pair of black flats and wiped my eyes on an old scarf. From my closet I grabbed a simple black jacket that I only wore for special occasions. Finally, I picked up Aleu and walked downstairs.

"Jess? Where are you going?" aunt Kelly stood and followed me.

"Well, since your brother is officially a douchebag, I'm going where I'm welcome." I said simply.

"The cemetery?" uncle Jim asked.

"Very cute. Then why aren't you in hell where you belong?" I yelled.

"I'm going to Bam's. The only people there are April and Bam." I admitted to aunt Kelly.

"I'm coming with you. The dinner was great, Ms. Walker, but I can't stay either." Kelsey appeared in a pair of black pants and a sparkly blue top. Her hair was pulled up in a bun and she was holding a black bag, which I assumed contained her dress.

"I'll call you when everyone leaves. I'm sorry, honey." aunt Kelly frowned. I shrugged and walked out the door.

"What's in the bag?" I asked as I clipped on Aleu's leash and let her jump through the snow. Kelsey reached into the bag and pulled out boxes with my name on them. I recognized the paper from the presents aunt Elise was carrying earlier.

"Your presents." she said proudly.

"I never doubted why you were my best friend." I smiled, despite what had just happened.