One of the Boys...Right?

Chapter 13

January 12th

*Jess*

I dropped my bag next to my desk and sat in the chair in my English classroom.

“You look half dead.” Kelsey sat down beside me. She was the only one of my friends in the class.

“Someone said there was gonna be a lockdown drill today. I can sleep during that.” I yawned.

“Why would they tell us-“ Kelsey began.

“Red area.” a panicky voice sounded over the intercom. Our teacher, Mr. Bell, closed the door and turned off all the lights.

“See? A drill. Night.” I put my head down. A second later, a *bang* echoed through the hallway. I immediately looked toward the door. One more *bang* followed. Mr. Bell motioned for us to get on the floor. My phone began to buzz in my pocket. I looked around and noticed that other students had their phones out too, so I opened mine.

It was from Bam: u & kelsey okay?.

I sent back: um maybe... were hearing bangs in the hallway.

He replied: JJ...that’s a gun.

“Holy shit.” I whispered. People turned to me, some asking questions with their eyes, some looking at me like I was giving away a hiding spot in a game.

‘It’s a gun’ I mouthed. I saw faces become pale, people begin to shake, and eyes begin to well up as the people around me started to wonder if their friends would make it out alive.

*Bam*

I watched the clock on the wall slowly tick. Raab and Dunn were sitting next to me, under the windows. People around us were texting. My phone buzzed. JJ and I had been texting back and forth. At first, she had been asking questions. But now, she sounded more and more panicked.

From her: bam bam...im scared. I hear shots in the hallway and its too quiet in here. I just want to go home.

I could almost see her fighting back tears.

I sent back: itll be okay, jj. were all gonna get out

She replied: alive?

I said: please don’t think like that.

The last message I got from her was: bam bam. I don’t think im making it. Hes in the room. I love all of you.

‘Please, jj. You’ll make it out.’ I sent.

I never checked to see if I had a reply.

But I could hear people replying to our actions as Raab, Dunn, and I ran out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
why is it that in most of my stories, bad things happen in chapter 13?