One of the Boys...Right?

Chapter 18

*Bam*

“Dude, why are we here?” Dunn stretched in the seat next to me as the woman in charge of the talent show came up to announce the next act.

“Because Kelsey said if we weren’t, she would kill us all?” I shrugged.

“Isn’t she making JJ show up, too?” Novak asked.

“Yeah. Where are those two?” I looked around. I saw all of our classmates and their parents, but I couldn’t find Kelsey or JJ. It had been three days since the shooting, and most of the acts were still the same, but the people performing them still had trouble finishing.

*JJ*

Kelsey and I took our places behind the curtain. She was dressed as Glinda and I was dressed as Elphaba. I put on the hat I had bought the first time I went to go see ‘Wicked’. It was a witch hat.

“Are you ready?” she whispered to me.

“As long as I don’t look at our friends, I’ll be fine.” I took a deep breath. This was the first time I would be singing since my parents’ funeral, 8 years ago.

“Please welcome the next act: Jessica Walker and Kelsey Thompson!” Grace clapped.

*Bam*

“What are Kelsey and JJ doing in the talent show?” Dico’s mouth dropped open. The curtain opened. Kelsey and Jess were on the stage, Kelsey in a yellow dress and JJ in a green tank top, black skirt, and a witch hat.

“Elphie, why couldn’t you stay calm for once...instead of flying off the handle? I hope you’re happy. I hope you’re happy now. I hope you’re happy how you hurt your cause forever. I hope you think you’re clever.” Kelsey sang in an angry tone.

“I hope you’re happy. I hope you’re happy, too. I hope you’re proud how you would grovel in submission, to feed your own ambition!” JJ sang back in the same tone. I had never heard her sing like this before. Neither had anyone else, I could see. The people around us were still and silent, their eyes wide.

*Jess*

I ran offstage as the people who were playing the ‘guards’ captured Kelsey. I ran up a flight of stairs that led to a room on the side of the stage. We had used that room for when the school put on ‘Rapunzel’. The door could be pushed aside so my whole body was visible. A spotlight shone on me as I began to say: “I’m the one you want. It’s me! It’s ME! So if you can’t find me, look to the western skies! As someone told me lately: everyone deserves a chance TO FLY! And if I’m flying solo, at least I’m flying free! To those who ground me (I pointed down and swept my hands over the audience) Take a message back from me: tell them how I am defying gravity! I’m flying high defying gravity, and soon I’ll match them in renown. And nobody...in all of Oz...no wizard that there IS or WAS...is ever gonna bring...ME DOWN!” I belted out. Kelsey was singing : ‘I hope you’re happy!’ and the ‘guards’ were singing: ‘Look at her, she’s wicked! Get her!’ and ‘No one mourns the wicked!’ I belted out ‘DOWN!’ one more time before putting all of my breath into the final ‘AH!’. People stood up and cheered.

I realized that, as I stood up in that room, watching everyone clap for Kelsey and myself, I didn’t feel like Jessica Walker, the girl who never sang. Nor did I feel like JJ, the girl who could be tougher than the guys. I truly felt like Elphaba. A misunderstood girl who wants everything to be alright for herself.

“Well, Ms. Elphaba, would you like to walk down here and take a bow? Or would you like to use your broom?” Grace was standing on the stage with Kelsey.

“Let me catch my breath.” I managed to laugh before closing the wall door and walking down to the stage.

“Give it up for Jessica and Kelsey, as Elphaba and Glinda!” Grace smiled. The people went nuts.

“Take a bow, Jess! You deserve it!” Kelsey grabbed my hand. I took off my witch hat and bowed with her.

“THAT’S MY GIRL!” Aunt Kelly yelled.

“THEY’RE OUR GIRLS!” I heard Bam laugh from the back before he let out an ear-piercing whistle. I wouldn’t have been able to wipe the smile off my face if I tried.

“Are you going to defy gravity? You look like you’re about to float.” Grace laughed.

“I don’t think I can. But I can let my singing to that for me.” I said before me and Kelsey walked off into the backstage area to take off our mikes. Once we were out into the hallway, Kelsey threw her arms around me.

“You rocked!” she squealed. I continued to smile. Bam and the guys came running down the hallway. I felt myself get scooped up into Bam’s arms.

“You were amazing, JJ! Not to be rude, Kelsey, but we already know how you sing amazingly.” he said to her.

“Why didn’t you tell us about that voice you had?” Dunn asked.

“Not to put a cloud on the parade, but the last time I sang was at my parents’ funeral. And I was all choked up, so I couldn’t even finish the song. I thought that if I ever tried to sing again, I would sound like that, so I never did.” I shrugged.

“Are you going to sing more after this?” Dico asked.

“Now what fun would that be if I sang all the time?” I grinned wickedly and stepped away from Bam as I slipped out of my heels.

“No fair!” Raab took a step toward me.

“Oh well!” I picked up my shoes and started running.

“HEY!” I heard Bam laugh. I looked behind me to see my friends chasing me, our laughter echoing off the walls of the empty hall.

Perhaps our laughter wanted to defy gravity as well.
♠ ♠ ♠
i <3 wicked