Status: Definite Hiatus

He's A Handsome Woman

I'm Looking Through You

"She's crazy!" Ryan sputtered, running his fingers through Beth's long hair.
They had arrived back in Brendon and Beth's hotel room, where Ryan had remained meek until Beth excused herself to the restroom and left them in the seperate living room, not knowing that Brendon and Ryan were the male equivalent to gossiping girls.
"I mean, she nearly tore my ear off while she was talking it off!" Ryan continued, pacing in front of Brendon.
Brendon meanwhile, only nodded in agreement as he stared transfixed at the person Beth really was. He had gotten so used to talking to her as Ryan, he had forgotten she was another seperate person. A part of him had even tried to repress that fact, but it was impossible to ignore when he saw Beth in Ryan's body dragging herself along. Despite the awkward position she was in, half leaned over, expression in pain, Brendon was like a deer in headlights.
She was beautiful in a way that the adjective overwhelmed who Beth really was. For someone who had thousands of millions of girl's faces blurred in his memory, every kind of face that exists, it was hard for one face to stop him, yet hers did. On later reflection Brendon decided it had something to do with knowing Beth before seeing her, always having that question mark in his mind above her name. The Beth he knew was intwined with his best friend, so nonsexual the term didn't even exist. Having her really there, her body at least, in the car with him... Brendon couldn't explain it.
"Brendon are you even listening to me?" Ryan yelled, stopping in front of him.
"Yeah, yeah..." He muttered, shaking himself out of the stupor.
Ryan folded his arms across his chest, not realizing how much of a tribute it was to Beth's breasts, or how much effort it took Brendon to avert his attention elsewhere.
"You weren't listening at all!" He fumed.
"Yes I was," Brendon sighed. "And I think you're the crazy one. Beth is just as freaked out as you, probably more and scared shitless as well. You're both in the same boat, maybe you should work together instead of blaming her for all of this. Keep it up and you'll be like this forever."
Ryan narrowed his eyes, staring down Brendon for a moment before letting out a deep sigh and stalking toward the door, grabbing his jacket along the way.
"Where are you going?" Brendon asked, an eyebrow raised.
Glaring, Ryan slipped on Beth's jacket, even grabbing her purse, putting his hand on the door handle. "I need a drink. I'll be back later."
Brendon could still hear his footsteps stalking down the hallway outside the room when Beth peered in the room, concern etched in Ryan's features.
"I don't think he realized that I'm not legal to drink. He'll be back in no time." She said meekly, still lingering at the doorway farthest from Brendon.
Brendon shook his head. "Not Ryan, he's not like that. If he wants a drink he'll find a way. And in a hot chick's body it won't take as long as usual."
Beth rose an eyebrow in mild surprise to his words. "Hot?"
Blood rushed to Brendon's cheeks as he tore his eyes from hers, nervously stammering under his breath. When he gave up defending himself after a few seconds, he decided to change the subject.
"Why a-are you all the way over there?"
Beth seemed jolted back into reality by his words, or at least reminded of it in a meek fashion.
"Oh, I... just..." Brendon couldn't quite hear what she was saying, but what Beth mumbled sounded like she was trying to giving them space. By the blush on her cheeks Brendon got the feeling she overheard their discussion and was embarrassed.
Neither of them said anything for a few moments, Beth still standing in the entryway while Brendon tried thinking of a clever, witty, cool thing to say to get her onto the couch next to him. All he could think of was pie, and the fact this was for all intensive purposes his best friend. Aside from the mind of an eighteen year old girl being inside him, it was Ryan's eyes in Ryan's body staring at him. This argument didn't seem effective on his clammy hands or pounding heart.
"Brendon?" The very familiar voice of the best friend he'd been thinking about asked, breaking Brendon's internal debate.
His only response was an unintelligent grunt he made, being drawn out of his mind. Beth took it as an acknowledgement.
"Ryan left, and frankly I'm getting sick of being surrounded by different variations of floral print, so I was wondering..." At this a tenative, inviting smile appeared. "Do you fancy a tour of the city?"
The eager expression on Ryan's face seemed to muddle itself in Brendon's mind, and though he knew it was really Ryan he was looking at, internally, all he saw was the dark haired beauty from that afternoon. It didn't make his answer hard.
"I'd love one."
_________________________________________________________________________________

Hours had passed since Beth and Brendon had been in their hotel room, hours they'd spent making the most of free time and no curfews. It helped Brendon was willing to pick up the tab for the things Beth wanted to show him around town. Hours into the new day and the pair found themselves sprawled out on the dark grass, staring up at the stars.
"Are you still wet?" Beth asked, turning her head to catch a glimpse of Brendon.
Brendon moved his hand from under his head to feel around his chest, the shirt under his hand still quite damp.
"Oh yeah. You?"
Beth didn't even have to check to know she was still soaked through. A few feet away the fountain that they had recently gone swimming in still gurgled and splashed, and was just a few dollars shorter than it had been earlier. Both Brendon and Beth had a handful of quarters, nickels, dimes, and a Canadian penny between them, weighing them down even more.
"Do you think we'll get caught?" Brendon asked casually.
Having spent most of high school doing things like swimming in fountains and playing guitar on the city buses, Beth couldn't help but laugh.
"Trust me Brendon, I think we're good. If anyone asks why we're soaked, just say we got caught in a freak rainstorm."
For a brief moment Beth lifted her head up to glance at the few cars passing by their spit of grass between two main thoroughfairs, then bolted up. She had been certain she'd heard something in the brief silence, and was just as sure she'd seen a brief flash of light.
Brendon sat up with her, trying to follow her stare toward the clump of trees across the street.
"What is it?"
"I think I saw a flash of light over there." Beth muttered in reply, still trying to peer through the darkness.
She couldn't see it, but Brendon rose and eyebrow skeptically. "You think?"
"I know I saw a flash of light." She clarified.
"Maybe it was a UFO." Brendon supplied lightly.
That only earned him a glare from Beth, who finally tore her eyes away from the spot.
"I'm not seeing aliens on top of all this switching bodies nonsense Brendon. That'd be the overcomplication that sends me to the looney bin." She growled tiredly. "No... I'm sure it was a camera."
Brendon's eyebrow, the singular one that hadn't gotten much rest since Beth entered his life, rose once more. Beth's glare, under the same strain as Brendon's eyebrow, remained in place until he said something.
"If it was I'm sure it had nothing to do with us, just lay back down." Brendon murmured, uncharacteristically reaching out and putting his hand on Ryan's shoulder, ignoring the electric feeling in his arm.
They left a few moments later, Beth feeling too uncomfortable from what she was sure was someone taking a picture of them to stay much longer. They returned to the hotel room to find Ryan tipsy and a little shaken, forgetting girls are often the prime targets for drunk pervs. Beth gave him her favorite excuse for her mom when she came in late, and ordered a taxi to take him home. It was a school night after all.
After Ryan left, things in the hotel room seemed to be a little awkward. Brendon almost didn't want to be left alone with Beth all of sudden, with the effect she seemed to have on him. He was beginning to get used to the clammy hands and pusling heart, but the electric tingling feeling in his arm made the other symptoms feel like they were leading to something, and he wasn't sure he wanted them to lead there.
What Brendon didn't know was that hidden amongst the fears about her current predicament, what with not being herself, Beth was beginning to feel the same way, fear included.
And what neither of them knew was somewhere in Hershey, Pennsylvania, blocks away even, a girl was walking around the city, her camera hanging from a strap around her neck. Bits of grass were still stuck in her hair from ducking out of sight quickly and she could feel the mudstains setting into her camoflauge pants, the rest of the ensemble matching. And as she walked, the girl was already beginning to devise her plan that would put a stop to any of Beth, Brendon, and Ryan's especially.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of longer than my usual, which is good since school starts Monday, and I'm halfway through nine so I probably won't update for a while.
Thank you so much TalkingIsMyLife for whoring me out (which I really needed), and for trying to guilt me into updates for my other story... can't make any promises love.
By the way, I just read all of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books, so I'm gonna go crash... when I wake up could there be a few comments on this?

The Beatles - I'm Looking Through You