Crystal Shards

Three

The next day we boarded a train and departed for the three day journey to Droulliard.

“How come you had to live so far away?” Ed whined as we passed a station.

“How come you walk around in nothing but your underwear with a girly braid?” I asked puffing my lip out a smidgen.

“Just how old are you Vanity?” Ed asked.

“I’m fifteen. What about you shrimp?” I asked smirking as I turned the page.

“I’m sixteen!” He yelled. My eyes widened in surprise.

“You’re sixteen and you’re shorter than me… I’m five foot three.” I said laughing as we passed through a tunnel, “We’ll be there in about five minutes.”

“Is it true that Droulliard is much more advanced than the rest of Amestris?” Alphonse asked. I nodded before we exited the train. The three of them looked around in awe. People were running all over the train station talking on cell phones, an internet café was across the street.

“Are you guys just going to stand there or do you want to hurry up and get this done with so we can go back to central and see if we can find those records?” I asked walking down the platform steps. They ran to catch up with me.

“This town is so cool!” Al said gleefully.

“It’s not all that exciting once you get used to it.” I said with a mock yawn turning the corner onto a brick path that lead out of town a bit.

“What – we’re not staying in town?” Ed whined once we couldn’t see the town.

“Nope – they live near the mines.” I said as I slid into a farmer’s field. “I’ll be right back!”

I came back a moment later with a truck that had been lying in the ditch. Everyone hopped in the back and I drove out towards the mines. We arrived roughly half an hour later. I turned the ignition off and hopped out of the window since the door was jammed. The others climbed out of the back of the rusty truck. I was yet again tackled to the ground by the tall muscular blonde boy.

“I knew you had to be coming around sometime!” He said hugging me tightly. I squirmed trying to breath.

“You’re just like your cousin.” I wheezed trying to draw in a breath.

“Oh – who are your little friends?” He asked narrowing his eyes, “And why are they all male?”

“The shrimp’s Ed – that’s his brother Alphonse and that muscular man over there is Armstrong.” I said pointing to everyone, “They work with me at Central.”

He sighed, “That’s good – come on inside and I’ll take your measurements.” Richard grabbed my hand and led me inside. The others followed.

“So you all work at central – the shrimp must be pretty good if he passed the exams.” Richard said measuring the length of my arms before he took my hip measurements.

“I am pretty good – I passed it when I was twelve.” Ed said – Richard and I laughed.

“That’s two years older than Vanity.” Richard laughed moving to take my waist. After he was done he told me what he needed to do, “I have to add two and a half inches.”

“How did you figure that out?” Ed yelled.

“It’s easy, you just need to find the right proportion. I can do you if you want.”

“Go right ahead!” After Richard took his measurements he laughed.

“You’re at the right height buddy. Well, it’ll take about a day to get the crystal needed, and another two days per a leg, and one day of rest, so that’s five days then you’re out of here I take it.”

I nodded as I sat in the wheel chair, “Business of course.” Richard undid my boats and slid them off before he detached my legs. I jerked my head back a bit in pain as he detached the nerves. He did the same to the other one. “I missed that pain.”

“It’s pretty late so – Armstrong can have dad’s room since he’s away on business – Vanity can have her normal room and Alphonse can have the empty bed beside my room.

“Where am I supposed to sleep?” Ed asked.

“On the couch.” He replied simply manoeuvring me out of the room laughing.

The days passed by smoothly. The others went into town often to check out the area but I stayed with Richard to keep him company. When it was time to reconnect my legs he had Ed hold the back of the chair so I wouldn’t tip it over – like the first time. Once he connected my right leg I jerked my head back in pain and stifled a scream.

“That’s got to be your best reaction yet,” Richard said affixing the other leg. I let out my breath when he was done.

“That hurt like hell!” I said gasping for air, “But the qualities amazing!” Richard held my hands as I tried to stand. Ed pulled the wheel chair away and kept his hands near my waist in case I fell. I took a small step and fell backwards – Ed caught me. They both chuckled. I shot them both glares as I stood up. This time I was able to take not only a step but a couple before I fell into Richard. “Damn it.”

“Let’s spar.” He said with a perfectly serious look. I smiled and nodded. The two guided me out towards the front yard. I tried to keep my balance as Richard swung kicks and punches at me. I managed to dodge a few but took a couple to my sore jaw. I managed to return a good deal of them, most of them landing.

The next day we waved good bye to Richard and got into the truck, Armstrong was driving this time. We boarded the train and headed back to central.