Crystal Shards

Six

Armstrong, Hughes and I stood around Ed looking at his drawings. There was something really familiar about one of his drawings, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

“Ed, is this like what the two had?” I asked as I took of my jacket and lifted up the back of my shirt.

His eyes widened, “That’s exactly like it, except theirs was much more noticeable and not as faded.” I lowered my shirt and slid my jacket back on. The Fuhrer entered and started looking over Ed’s notes. Armstrong, Hughes and I tried to keep as perfect a poster as we could.

“I snuck out of my office to give Fullmetal the Melon. Crystal!”

“Y – yes.”

“You’re still on guard duty.” He said jumping out of the window. Ed had decided to visit his master se we hoped on a train and headed out to Dublith. Winry wanted to come since Rush Valley, famous for Auto Mail, was on the way. On the train when they talked about their master it was always of them dieing young. I sat beside Al on the Aisle side. Once we arrived in Rush Valley Winry went overboard with glee at how much auto – mail there was. I sighed; there was no one else here with Crystal.

“Everyone, this auto – mail’s a rare make!” A guy said grabbing Ed’s arm. People quickly crowded around him and stripped off his clothing to get a better look. Once Ed was finally dressed he couldn’t find his pocket watch. The townsfolk said that Paninya would have most likely stolen it but they wouldn’t tell us where she might be unless they got a look at Ed’s auto – mail once more.

“You want to see auto – mail. Here’s some auto mail!” I said undoing my boats. They rushed over in awe and started examining them. I sighed at how much trouble these two could get into. Once they were finished they told us to go to the mountains to a man name Dominic, we started off. Ed started to fight her once we found her running across a bridge. Winry started falling for Paninya’s auto mail. I just stayed out of it mainly because I didn’t care a thing about the trouble Ed got in. We were quickly introduced to Dominic and he gave Ed false hope that he would grow if his auto mail was lighter.

“What I’m really interested in are those – what are they glass?” He asked rolling his chair over to me and pushed me into a chair as he tore off my shoes. “How can these be so sturdy?”

“They’re crystal – from the mines just east of Droulliard.” I stated as he poked and prodded my legs.

“No scratches, no chips, nothing but a perfectly smooth finish; tell me, who made them.”

“A friend of mine – Winry’s cousin – Richard Rockbell.”

“Son of William Rockbell?” I nodded. He sat in awe still poking at my legs, “Can – I detach them?”

I shock my head, “Although they’re sturdier than Metal they are painful as hell when they need to get changed.” Al was pulling Ed out of the room.

“So – Vanity – how did you lose your legs?” Paninya asked after she told us her story about losing both her parents and legs in a train accident.

“Well, my sister died from an illness – so my brothers roped my family in on doing a human transmutation. They all lost their lives – and I lost my legs in the attempt. When Richard found me I was half – dead.” I said simply as if it didn’t matter. To me I’d told the story enough that it now held next to no meaning. Dominic left the room. After Winry had opened Ed’s alchemy bound pocket watch they gave it too me to give to Ed. I found Ed wandering the halls half – dead. “Ed.”

“Miss Sadila says the baby’s being born!” He yelled once he finally got it out. I ran and told Winry and she got Dominic to go into town on a horse and bring back a doctor. We all entered the room of Sadila and her husband and everyone but Winry and I were going nuts.

“You know what we have to do Vanity?”

“Make a delivery?”

“Yes.” Winry got on an apron and ordered Ed and Al to get some hot water, Paninya to get towels and sent me to get some Rubbing Alcohol from the storeroom.

“Paninya, Vanity – can you help me out?” Winry asked. We nodded and walked into the room after her, the boys outside. As soon as the head was out I fainted.