Crystal Shards

Seven

The next day we were so close to missing the train we had to literally jump on. I followed Ed and Al toward a Meat shop on the outskirts of town. A man came out wearing a bloodied apron and knife

“You’re gotten bigger Ed.” He said simply. “You’re really gotten bigger Al.” He patted him on the head.

“This is Vanity.” Ed said annoyed.

“Welcome to Dublith.” He said smiling. “Izumi – the Elric runts are here.” Within seconds the door opened and Edward had a foot to the face – I hid behind Al in horror. She turned toward us. I gulped. Her demonic grin faded.

“Al! Look at how much you’ve grown!” She said smiling. Al made his way towards her ready to shake her hand, but she flipped him to the ground. She turned to me, “I don’t believe I know you.”

“I’m Vanity, their guard from the military.” I said as she forcefully shock my hand.

“Nice to meet you Vanity, it must be troublesome dealing with these to brats. Do you mind doing some shopping for us while I have a little ‘talk’ with these two?” She asked handing me a list and money before I could even reply. I nodded and made my way through the town getting what was on the list. She terrified me more than those auto – mail freaks in Rush Valley. I arrived back and helped Sig, Izumi’s husband prepare dinner. He was really nice compared to Izumi and Ed. The food was delicious. Sig showed the boys to their room and Izumi wanted to talk to me for a bit.

“Vanity – you should know about the boys.” She said taking a sip of tea, “When my husband and I were on vacation we went through their town when they were having terrible flooding. I helped them out and those two were very persistent in making me their teacher. When I found out they didn’t have any family I finally agreed to it. So I left them on an island forbidding them to use alchemy. They had trouble at first but then the realization that some must eat other living things to live. Then they had progress. When we finally came to pick them up they had figured out the answer to ‘All is one. One is all’. My training that I put them true was tough.”

I focused on my tea as she told the rest of her story.

“When I was pregnant, I fell ill, and the baby wasn’t born into the world alive. So I committed taboo and all sorts of organs were taken from me. I should really tell the boys this too. I’ve been wonder if you lost your legs in the same way?”

I nodded telling her the story about what happened.

“It’s late – we better get to bed.” She said standing up to show me to my room, it was right across the hall from the boy’s room. The bed was much bigger than what I was used too.