Status: Finished.

One Chance

II

It all started on the last day of Junior year.

Brian Miller was hosting the annual last-summer-before-senior-year party. It was a school tradition, passed on from each senior class to the next. It was the kickoff to the summer, and usually the hardest party to top. The kitchen was filled with vodka, other hard liquors and wine, the fridge filled with bottles of cheap beer. The back yard had buckets of ice, a few energy drinks and sodas, and warm beer kegs. The entire house was swarmed with underage kids, most already wasted or on their way to it.

Noelle arrived to the party late, too late to be considered fashionable. She glanced at the living room-turned-dance floor as she passed through, shaking her head at all the people practically having sex with their clothes on. She knew she wasn’t much better herself, but she did have the decency to take it to a bedroom or push the boy away after a while. There was some techno beat pouring out of the expensive-looking sound system, followed by some hip hop or rap song Noelle had never heard in her life. She weaved her way through the room, through the kitchen, and found the big red bucket on the deck in the back yard. It was filled with mostly water bottles and sodas, for the few like herself who either didn’t drink or wanted to dilute some of the stronger alcohol. She pulled a bottle from the ice and checked the seal before cracking it open. As she gulped down half of it, she took in the backyard.

The scene was much the same as in the living room, just fewer people and a lesser volume. There was another stereo system set up in the corner of the deck, playing the same songs as in the house. Girls were dressed in small, tight tops, short skirts and high heels that were only really appropriate for strippers. A few of the girls were in tight jeans, with more tasteful footwear, but they were far and few between. Almost half of the boys were half-naked or getting there, running around either without a shirt or in only boxers and socks. Couples, whether they were dating or not, were making out in corners, grinding their hips together to the beat of the music, or screaming at each other unnecessarily loud. Noelle couldn’t help but to feel out of place and under dressed as she looked around; she was the only one without a date or a friend, and was dressed nothing like the other girls. Her hair was pulled back into a sloppy bun, with her bangs falling into her eyes and pieces coming loose on the sides. She was the only one, male or female, wearing flared jeans, though hers were ripped at the knees and cuff. She wasn’t, however, the only one wearing beat-up converse, or a band tee. Tonight was just a Blink-182 type of night.

Noelle knew the feeling would pass eventually, she just had to get in the middle of the crowd and act like the drunken idiot she really wasn’t. Tossing the empty bottle in the trash, she made her way back into the house. A few people greeted her, giving her sloppy kisses on the cheek or a rushed hug, some only choosing to yell across the room. She smiled and waved and hugged back, slipping right into the vibe and routine of the party. She was completely at home by the time she slipped into the center of the dance floor, cozied up next to the boy she sat next to for freshman science. He’d gotten cuter since she’d last paid any attention to him, letting his hair get a bit longer and his body thin out. He was far gone enough to wrap his arms around Noelle’s waist and call her a name other than her own, which was more than okay with her. Halfway through the second song, the boy had been kissing her neck, so Noelle turned to face him, kissing him hungrily on the lips. He moved his hands to her hips, pushing his lips harder against hers. He slurred something that sounded like an invitation to find an empty room, but Noelle smirked and pulled away, pressing a finger to his lips before walking away with her hips swaying.

Alex had arrived to the party right on time, waiting with the small crowd in the driveway until the clock struck ten and the party officially began. Fast paced, upbeat dance-y music was already pouring out of the speakers as he searched for the kitchen. It was easily found, and already swarming with people reaching for bottles. Alex sat back, leaning against a counter, and watched as the kids fought for their first-choice beverages. Once they got their share, they dispersed, with the majority of them going to the living room. A few went to the deck, some for beer and some to smoke. That was the one rule, Alex noticed, no matter who hosted the party: if you were going to smoke, you sure as hell had better do it outside. It was also the one rule, unlike the rest, that everyone obeyed no matter how far gone they were. They all knew from their first high school party, sophomore year, that you could get the smell and the stains of booze and puke off the carpet and the walls. The stench of tobacco was much more reluctant to leave, as they found out.

Alex smiled slightly at the memory; Gina’s parents had come home after a long weekend to find their three-story house spotless. All the beds were made, dishes were sparkling, and the carpets had vacuum lines. Everything was exactly as it was when they left –except for the smell of cigarette smoke that was still lingering in the air. Gina had gotten busted, for smoking, not the party, which lead to the school holding an assembly on the dangers of smoking and drinking. No one had taken it seriously, but from that day on they all smoked outside whichever house the party was held in.

After the crowd around the booze died down, Alex grabbed the first bottle he could and downed a good sip. Bottle in hand, he roamed the house and yard, dancing with anyone who was willing, and only leaving to get something new to drink. He didn’t pay as much attention the girls that quite obviously hoped he’d pick them to drag down the hall as he usually did, though. Tonight, he had his eyes glued on one girl, and one girl alone. She was in the center of the crowd, only a few away from Alex, dancing with an unfamiliar boy. The acted as if they had either known each other forever, or were completely wasted. Alex voted for the latter, but still couldn’t deny he was a tiny bit jealous of the boy. Even though the girl wasn’t his type at all, he couldn’t deny that she was gorgeous. She had on jeans and a Blink tee shirt –which automatically made her awesome- along with sneakers and barely any makeup. Compared to the girls wearing next to nothing that he usually went for, Alex saw that this girl was different. There wasn’t any glaze over her eyes, and when she turned to make out with the boy, there was no near-miss, and no hesitation when she pulled away. She smiled confidently as she left the boy standing there, stunned and with a near-problem.

Alex continued to dance with random girls, but was much more conscious of his actions than normal. Or, at least as conscious of them as someone who was completely piss drunk could be. He didn’t make out, and didn’t pull any of the girls down the hallway. He danced, letting the girls do most of it, and kept an eye on the one from earlier. She went from boy to boy with the same confidence, danced for a while, maybe made out with them, and left them hanging right as they thought they were going to get lucky. It was then that Alex realized he had to find this girl. He had to dance with her, he had to kiss her, he had to get her down the hallway and into an empty bedroom one way or another. But he also realized he was no different than the other boys she left: hoping to get laid by the gorgeous girl who knew exactly what she was doing.

At one point, Alex lost sight of her. He was dancing with a new girl, who was altogether too touchy-feely and already on the verge of whispering a certain three words in his ear. She was being clingy, throwing his arms around her waist and pressing herself against him, trying to kiss up his jaw. Alex was already fed up with it, so seeing the confident, not-drunk girl from before making her way towards the deck gave him the perfect excuse to slip away. He pushed the girl off him, shaking her off as she grabbed for his arm, and walked towards the deck, set on at least talking to that one girl.

Noelle had had enough of dancing, enough with the smell of alcohol and cheap beer, and decided that now was a good time as any to take up smoking again. She bummed one off a girl who looked too young to be at a high school party, and lit it off of a tiki torch. Finding a clean, semi-quiet patch of grass right next to the deck, she sprawled out on her back and stared up at the sky. She smoked her cigarette, then got up to find the girl that gave it to her to ask for another. The girl tossed her the rest of the pack, as well as a book of matches. Noelle resumed lying in the grass, chain-smoking and trying to find the motivation to pick out a cute boy to spend the rest of her night with.

Not seconds later did one fall into the grass beside her, laying his head right next to hers, and standing a bottle of Jaeger in between their waists.

“I’m Alex,” he said, surprising even himself with how confidently he said it.

Noelle didn’t answer, but instead took another drag on her cigarette and blew smoke out of the corner of her mouth in Alex’s direction.

“And you are?”

“Not sleeping with you tonight, buddy,” She answered, finally turning to look at him. The second she looked at him, she regretted speaking. The boy was far too cute and far too wasted to pass up the chance.

Instead of getting up, Alex just laid there, listening to the girl next to him breathe and trying to ignore the smell of the smoke swirling around his head. After minutes of silence, Alex took a drink from his bottle.

“Want some?” He offered, holding out the bottle for her to take.

“I don’t want your diseases, thank you. I don’t know how many chicks you’ve kissed with those lips.”

In the back of her mind, Noelle knew she shouldn’t be talking, because she’d already kissed more boys than she could count on one hand. Alex seemed to accept the answer, though, because he laid in silence once again.

“Don’t you get lonely?” He asked after a while.

Noelle furrowed her eyebrows. “Um, what?”

“I saw you. You were going from boy to boy, kissing them and leaving. Which means you’re obviously single, and have no intentions of changing that. And I can tell that you’ve probably slept with as many guys as I have girls. You’re too at ease when you walk away.”

After his short speech, which was surprisingly slurred very little, Noelle was taken aback. He didn’t even know her name, but he was already calling her out on being a slut. Which happened to be the last thing that Noelle saw herself as.

“Your point?” She snapped, starting to sit up and lighting another cigarette.

Alex put his hand on her arm, gently signaling her to stay just a little longer. Something made the girl stay, because she leaned back and offered the pack of smokes to him. He pushed them away, and continued to talk.

“You don’t…” he paused, actually trying to think about what he was going to say. “You don’t have a motive, other than just seeing the look on their faces when you walk away.”

Alex could sense that the girl was rolling her eyes. “I saw you with all those girls earlier. You can’t seriously have a motive other than just wanting to get laid.”

He was genuinely surprised by her comment. It just didn’t seem like something most girls would say. But then again, it seemed like this one was full of surprises. Speaking slowly, he answered, “Yeah? I’m just waiting for the right girl to come along. I know she’s out there, it’s just a matter of where. And I’m not,” He paused to gulp down some more Jaeger, “gonna find her by sitting on my ass, so why not? I’ve had plenty of serious relationships.”

Noelle snorted. “Serious relationships? Is that what you call them? I know who you are, Alex. I’ve heard the stories. They say those three little words, you say them back, and you leave them high and dry. You can’t seriously be telling me it’s all because you’re looking for your future soul mate.”

“But…I am, actually. I'll know I'll know her when I see her.” He said, turning to face her.

“Oh, so now you’re looking for love at first sight?”

“Oh, come on! Don’t tell me you're not hoping to fall in love with one of those boys you’ve fucked.”

Noelle was taken aback. At first, Alex had just seemed…well, drunk. All he wanted was to lie down next to her, try to have a serious conversation with what Noelle assumed were hopes to impress her, and when she wouldn’t cooperate, he got pissed off. Two could play that game.

“You can’t find what doesn’t exist, Alex.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is only gonna be three or four chapters, I've decided.
I think so, at least.
So, how am I doing so far? I'm still a bit iffy with Alex.
Telling me anything you liked or didn't like would be much appreciated.
-Roxie