Status: Finished.

One Chance

IV

It wasn’t long before the bottle of Jaeger was completely empty.

When Noelle had first started explaining, she and Alex were passing it between themselves. Not even halfway through, Noelle had taken more turns than Alex. Once the story ended, about ten minutes ago, she was keeping it for herself. Alex didn’t argue, and for that Noelle was grateful. She stared straight ahead with an emotionless expression, sipping the drink, and occasionally putting it down long enough to pull a cigarette out of her bag. Alex sat next to her the entire time, looking anywhere but at her. Noelle knew that he occasionally stole a glance at her, though; she could feel his stare burning into the side of her cheek.

She tilted the bottle up and her head back to get the last few drops that remained in the bottom. Tossing it to the grass in front of her, she turned so her body was facing Alex. He continued to look everywhere but at her, completely oblivious to her gaze.

“You know,” She said, puffing smoke out of the corner of her mouth, “aside from the whole staring at me when you think I’m not looking, you’re actually kind of really hot.”

Alex sat and blinked at her. “Um…thanks?”

She was still looking at him, biting her lip, and nodding ever so slightly. “No, I mean, like, really, really hot. Like…” She sucked in her bottom lip and flicked her eyes to the ground, obviously trying to think of the right word.

“Like…?” Alex prompted, suddenly curious. He still wasn’t sure if he liked this new, completely drunk Noelle.

“Ah, fuck it.”

Before Alex had a chance to ask what “it” was, Noelle was leaning over, throwing her arms around his neck, and was kissing him.

Alex would be lying if he said he wasn’t completely surprised.

He’d also be lying if he said he wasn’t enjoying every second of it.

She tasted like alcohol and cigarettes and smelled faintly like mint, and so he kissed back, pulling Noelle down onto the grass beside him. Noelle quickly removed her hands from the back of his neck and tangled them into his hair, scooting so she was closer to him.

“Okay, now you’re really, really, really hot.” She told him, slurring the words slightly.

Grinning like an idiot, he replied, “Am I now? You’re really, really gorgeous, you know.”

Instead of answering, Noelle kissed him again.

Alex soon found himself being pulled up from the grass by his hand.

Noelle was pulling him closer, sloppily kissing his neck, and then his lips, as they stumbled back into the house. She kept tripping, and assuming it was from the alcohol, Alex just laughed, and attempted to catch her as best he could. A few times he almost ended up falling down with her, but managed to use a counter or wall, or nearby person to steady themselves. With Alex guiding, they managed to make up to a second floor hallway. He reached to turn a doorknob, but Noelle swatted his hand away, pointing to the empty beer bottle outside of it.

“Taken.” She said, stumbling farther into the dark. Alex followed, quickly looping his arms around her waist and pushing her against the wall, kissing her urgently again. In one quick movement, he had her picked up and over his shoulder, and was walking into an empty room. He kicked the door shut, hiding the couple under the cover of darkness. Noelle was flipped down onto the bed, and they resumed kissing, and it wasn’t long before Noelle’s hands found the hem of Alex’s shirt. She tugged on it, clearly wanting it gone, and finally broke away from Alex long enough to start to pull it off.

He stopped her before she could.

“Wait, Noelle…”

She paused briefly, decided whatever he had to say was killing the mood, and went back to attacking his neck and jaw with kisses. Her hands reached for his shirt again, and he grabbed her wrists, holding them still.

“Noelle…I…I can't. I can’t do this to you.”

“Damnit, Alex. Let go of me and take your freaking shirt off already.” She struggled and thrashed around, but Alex’s grip remained strong.

“Noelle, this isn’t right. You’re completely trashed, and I’m barely past drunk. You don’t know what you’re doing, and you’re not going to remember it in the morning, when I’m gone.”

“Alex, I know exactly what I’m doing! I’m trying to fuck you, and you are not cooperating!” She whined at him, pulling her hands away and putting them in her lap to pout up at him. “Now, are you gonna keep talking, or are we going to have sex?”

Alex had to admit that they way she was so blunt, and so sure of herself, was majorly attractive.

He raised his voice involuntarily. “No, Noelle. I told you –I’m not going to do anything when I’m practically sober compared to you. Just lay down and sleep it off.”

“But Alex!” She was whining again, hitting one of her palms against the comforter.

“I’m leaving, Noelle. End of it. Try to sleep.” And he did –Alex walked out of the door, down the stairs, and back to the party, as if nothing had ever happened.

Noelle sat in the dark, trying to comprehend what had just happened. She knew she was drunk, she had kissed –or rather, made out with- Alex, found and empty room, gotten yelled at by Alex to go to sleep, and was now sitting in the dark, completely alone. Feeling like she was going to cry, she pulled herself up and tripped back down the hallway and stairs, right into the dance floor in the living room. She found the boy with fluffy hair, who was almost as drunk as she was, and danced with him. After only a few minutes, they were kissing, and then finding the same empty bedroom she and Alex were just in.

Across the hall, Alex was doing the same.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm thinking there's only one more chapter left of this, maybe two.
This chapter, towards the middle/end was really awkward to write. I hope you can't tell?
It was so far out of my comfort zone, but I think that's what's making it so fun.
c/c?
-Roxie