Lies for the Liars

I

Bert smiled a warm, knowing smile. Things felt… Comfortable. Nice. Right.

Nothing could be wrong when this man was in his arms.

With a cold, pale finger, Bert traced his lover’s angular facial features, gliding softly over the skin he had just kissed. The older man looked up, wide-eyed, and his cheeks flushed to form two light circles of pink, in response to the feeling of Bert’s touch.

This was perfection. This was bliss.

“I love you. I love you more than words can say,” Bert said cautiously.

“I love you too, Bert.”

Five words. Infinite power.

This was ecstasy. This was innocence.

This moment was meant to last forever. Eternity was simply not enough time.

Never in his life had Bert felt this way. So eager to give his heart away. So easy to break, but somehow so willing. There was a power this man had over him, something that pulled Bert in and entranced him. It was like a drug that blinded him from evil and enveloped him in a false sense of good. Fairytale beginning and an unpredictable end.

This was dangerous. This was seductive.

A blanket of lies over a maddening truth.

Secrets kept like souls, caught in the throat and trapped by the lips.

The deadly embrace and a venomous kiss.

Words never said, intertwining with fingers laced, holding lost thoughts together.

This was pain. This was pleasure.

This was all Bert ever wanted.