Words I Might Have Ate

Now it Seems I Can't Keep My Mind off of You

One week. One week since the breakup. The hardest breakup of my life. I liked him a lot, but it wasn't working out. I had to end it. I had many reasons; a major one being my parents. I shouldn't care what they thought about him, but it kept itching away at my mind.
I broke up with the school's asshole to the teachers, scum to the jocks, and leader to the outcasts; Billie Joe Armstrong. We had been dating for seven months, two weeks, and five days. It was the longest relationship I had ever had, and the hardest to give up. I think I may have loved him, but I had to let him go. Ever since then, he's been treating me like shit.
He truly didn't want to end it, so now he holds a grudge against me, no matter how much he may have liked me before. He barely speaks to me anymore, and if he does, it's just to insult me. It's hard going to school every day, knowing he'll be there. I hoped we could have remained friends after the breakup, but he certainly didn't want to.
He lives down the street from me too, so every day when I walk to school, he's always not far behind, talking to his friends about how much he hates me. His friends were nice to me though. They didn't say much to me, but when they did, it wasn't a negative comment. I liked his friends. They didn't treat me like dirt like Billie Joe did.
I sometimes felt bad for him. When we were dating, he told me that I was the only good thing in his life. I knew what he meant too. His Mom invited me to dinner at his house a couple of times. She was nice. He had five other siblings though, and they weren't exactly the richest people in the world. His Mom had to work two jobs, and that was just enough to pay bills, let alone buy groceries.
He also had a dickhead stepdad who none of them could stand, except his mother. He brought home the bacon though, so I think that was the main reason he was there. I knew Billie Joe's home life. I'm sure his friends did too, cause he hung out with them a lot. I would see them all walking down the street with him, going into his house. I would sometimes watch them have band practice in his garage. They wouldn't know I was watching though. Hm... I wonder if that sounds stalker-ish.
Anyway, that week had been the hardest of my life. I hoped as time went by, he would quit with the insults and drop the grudge, but it never happened. It doesn't seem like it will happen either.
My Mom and dad on the other hand are glad I broke up with him. They didn't approve of him at all. They didn't like how he dressed, even though it was the same as me, but they didn't like how I dressed either. They didn't like how he looked--he had his nose pierced and hair dyed a reddish, pinkish deal--and they certainly didn't like how he acted. He smoked, drank and used 'profane language.' I loved how he acted cause I like to see my parents pissed off. It was funny.
I had went to his small birthday party too when we were going out. In fact, it had only been a month after his birthday when I broke up with him. We started dating at the beginning of the school year, and broke up after Spring break. I couldn't wait 'til Summer vacation came. Then I wouldn't have to hear his voice and sit next to him in Science.
It was Friday, the end of the week, finally. I didn't want to go to school, but my parents wouldn't let me stay home. I heard footsteps inside my room and I knew exactly who it was.
"Carrie, wake up." It was my dad. He woke me up everyday because he never thought I could wake up on my own. I can't, but that's not the point.
"I'm up," I groaned. "Dad, do I have to go to school today?" He nodded. "I hate school." He snorted airily.
"That Billy Joel kid engraved that in your mind, huh?" I glared at him.
"Dad, don't start, please."
"I never liked him."
"I know that! Please, I don't wanna talk about him! Just get out so I can get dressed!" He raised his brow at my sudden outburst at him and backed out of my room. "And it's Billie Joe, not 'Billy Joel.'" He ignored my last comment and went back into the hallway.
I huffed and walked out of my room and into the bathroom. I washed my face, brushed my teeth, and brushed my hair. I didn't need to take a shower since I took one last night. Heh. I remember Billie Joe wanted to take a shower with me. It was when my parents were gone visiting family, and I had the house to myself. They didn't want me to be alone, but I convinced them that I wouldn't do anything I would regret.
Billie Joe had come over and I had to take a shower, and he insisted on taking one with me. I said no, and he had a little hissy fit. He was so cute... Anyway...
I walked out of the bathroom, shaking my thoughts away, and back into my room. I opened my drawer and pulled out a pair of black jeans, and a black Blondie shirt. Billie Joe had bought me that shirt for my birthday.
I put on my black converse and grabbed my notebooks that I needed for school. I usually kept my stuff in my locker so I didn't have a binder or backpack or anything. Billie Joe kinda had my old backpack. I left it at his house when I had stayed over there one time. I never got it back.
I walked downstairs and entered the kitchen. My little--annoying as hell--sister was eating cereal at the table. She was thirteen years old, but she still got on my nerves. My dad was eating some eggs at the table and my Mom was over at the stove. My dad dropped his fork on his plate, which got my attention, and he looked up at me, frowning.
"Why are you dressed in all black? Don't you have some lighter colors to wear?" he exasperatedly said. I rolled my eyes.
"Dark blue." I was kidding, of course. He shook his head while looking at his plate. He was always like this. He thinks Billie Joe set a bad example for me. He's so blind to see that I was already like this, even before I started going steady with Billie Joe.
"Carrie, go change into something else," my Mom said, turning around.
"Why?"
"Because I will not have my daughter looking like death." My sister snickered and I glared at her.
"That's what you have Michelle for!" Michelle was the complete opposite of me. She was into pop shit and wore the most revealing clothes, but my Mom and dad never said anything to her. She kinda dressed like Barbie. She dated a lot of guys too and they all wanted to get into her pants. Once again, they never said anything to her.
"Go change now. You're not leaving the house like that."
"Look at her!" I shouted, pointing to Michelle. "She looks like a hooker!" Michelle gasped.
"Carrie, go change!" my dad ordered.
"No! I don't have to! You let her dress like a slut and leave the house so why cant I look like 'death'?" I turned around and stomped out of the kitchen, ignoring their shouts. I walked out the front door and made my way towards the school, which was about five blocks away.
I was used to walking. I did it every day since the first day back to school. I heard a door close and I automatically knew who it was. Billie Joe. I would go to school at the same time everyday and he would always come outside right after I would. Before, we would walk together. Now we don't.
I heard footsteps behind me, but not directly behind me. I then heard the familiar sound of muttering, and I turned around the slightest bit to make sure I was right. And I was. It was Billie Joe, of course, muttering to himself, I'm guessing. Mike and Tre weren't by his side so he couldn't mutter to them.
"What the fuck are you looking at?" I just ignored him and turned back around. He still kept saying stuff to me, even though I wasn't listening. I had learned to do that.
After about ten minutes of walking, I finally made it to school. I trudged my feet up the stairs and walked into the building. I heard Billie Joe mumble something when he went past me, but I just ignored it, as always. I walked to my locker and opened it up to get my stuff.
"Hey hot stuff," my friend Pepper greeted. Her name was Emily Pepper, and Pepper's an awesome name, so everyone calls her Pepper. She was really popular--mainly because she was funny as hell. "So how are you and that stupid prick doing?" I sighed and shut my locker, holding my spiral in one hand.
"He's being all... pricky again." Pepper nodded.
"Yeah. Why are you wearing his clothes he got you?" I looked down at what I was wearing and shrugged. She just nodded unconvincingly with a smirk.
"Yeah, you know you still want him. You think he's a sexy hot piece of ass and you'd do anything to tap that." I laughed and shook my head, then sighed. Partly, she was right. Not about the 'tapping his ass' part though.
"I'll write you a note later and explain things for you, okay?"
"Uh huh..." she said smiling. "I bet you think of sick little fantasies with you and him, don't you?" I laughed and shook my head again.
"Where the fuck do you come up with shit like this?"
"When I go to the bathroom, all these thoughts fill my head." I shook my head with a smile and we walked to our first class, which was Art. Unfortunately, Billie Joe was with us in there. We used to sit next to each other, but since the breakup, I've begged the Art teacher every day for the past week if she could move me somewhere else, but it's always been the same answer. No.
Pepper sits by me also, but it still sucks, cause I'll be drawing something and I could see Billie Joe look at it out of the corner of my eye, and then he'll say something like, 'That's fucking ugly,' or 'You suck,' or 'I'm gonna laugh when you fail.' Some stupid shit like that. I usually ignore him, but Pepper always has something to say to him. I don't mind either.
I still do miss him and like him, but he annoys the hell out of me now. I just wish he could just drop the immaturity. Me and Pepper got into our class and sat down at our table. The tardy bell rang and Billie Joe hadn't got in yet.
"I hope he's skipping," I sighed.
"I hope that little motherfucker gets caught." I laughed again. She always made me laugh.
"Mr. Armstrong, late again?" Mrs. Cunningham asked. I looked over to the doorway and he was stepping inside. He noticed me looking at him and he gave me a scowling look.
"Yes Mrs. Cunningham. I was busy escaping the crowd." He glared at me as he said that. I just rolled my eyes and turned around. I could see Pepper glaring at him as he came and sat down next to me.
Almost everyone knew about us going steady and us breaking up. All the guys were on his side... and all the girls. They all thought he was so hot, they didn't understand why I broke up with him, so they thought I was a stupid whore, started rumors about me cheating on him, and joined his side. It was only me and Pepper.
In Art, we were currently working on free drawings, meaning we could draw whatever the hell we wanted but had to make it good and use everything we learned for the year. I was drawing a tiger, Pepper was drawing some couple making out, and I never really paid attention to what Billie Joe was drawing.
Pepper passed me a piece of paper and it read: 'So what's the deal?' I saw Billie Joe looking at the paper and I looked at Pepper and shook my head. She nodded and took the paper back.
"Hey Pepper, could you go get my drawing out of the drawer?" She nodded and went over to the counter to get our drawings.
"What, too lazy to get your own?" Billie Joe asked snidely. I ignored him again. "And now you're too lazy to speak?"
"I don't see your drawing in front of you." He snorted.
"I'll get it when I feel like it."
"Then don't say shit to me."
"I'll say shit to you if I want to."
"Why, because you're still mad at me?"
"No, because you're a whore." I glared at him and he glared right back.
"Hey, chump change, what the fuck are you doing?" Pepper snarled, sitting down and handing me my drawing. Billie Joe snorted again.
"She's the chump change, considering she'll suck a pickle for a nickel." I huffed and I practically saw steam from Pepper's ears.
"You're the one who goes around the whole fucking school acting like you own the goddamn place when you're hitting on every girl you see."
"Including her?" Billie Joe pointed at me and I just wanted to bite his finger off. "I wouldn't touch her with a ten-foot pole."
"Then why the fuck did you date her?" He just glared at Pepper, then got up from the chair and went to retrieve his drawing, I guess. "God, I fucking hate that prick. I don't know what you saw in him."
"He wasn't a prick when I dated him." Pepper snorted.
"God, something sure did crawl up his ass." I nodded. Billie Joe came back and sat down next to me and didn't say another word to us throughout the whole class. The class ended and me and Pepper quickly walked out into the hallway.
"Okay, tell me now. What's the deal?" I shrugged.
"I still like him, you know, but he's being all asshole-ish because I broke up with him. He wouldn't even listen when I tried to apologize. He just flipped me off and walked on."
"I don't see how you can like that stupid penis." I shrugged.
"He was sweet." Pepper's eyes went wide and she started laughing.
"God, I didn't know you guys did all that shit!" I laughed when I realized what she meant.
"No Pepper. He was sweet to me, you know? I could actually talk to him about things." Pepper rolled her eyes.
"Did you ever even have sex with him?" I shook my head.
"That's part of the reason why I broke up with him." Her eyes widened in shock.
"He wasn't giving any up?"
"No, not that. It seemed like that's all he wanted to do." She snorted.
"Why didn't you? I would've." I raised an eyebrow at her.
"Okay, you say you hate him, but then you say you'd fuck him?" She shrugged.
"Hey, sex is sex. Did you guys ever dry hump?"
"Oh my God Pepper," I laughed. "You're so retarded."
"Oh my God, you're so retarded," Billie Joe mocked, walking past us with some of his other friends.
"Fuck you, you waste of semen!" Pepper shouted, flicking him off. Billie Joe's friends went 'ooh.' He just flicked us off as well and continued walking. "So did you guys dry hump?" I rolled my eyes and walked to my next class.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was written in 2007, so excuse the overall ridiculousness of it. This version is also a little different from the original because I needed to change some things.