Words I Might Have Ate

I'm Having Trouble Trying To Sleep

"Dude, can we take a break, please?" I begged. Billie Joe had us working on that damn song for hours. He wouldn't even listen to me when I told him we could work on it tomorrow... actually, later today, cause it was after twelve.
"Yeah," Tre agreed. "I'm thirsty, and hungry, and tired of doing this." Billie just stared at us in disbelief. Sometimes that guy would go mental over music. I know he loves it a lot, but geez... sometimes people need breaks.
"Guys, we almost got it down."
"Exactly! So we can work on it later, okay? We'll get it before the show. Just chill." Billie sighed. I got up from the bed and put my bass down on it. "I'm gonna go get us some drinks, okay?" He nodded. I left his room and went downstairs, but stopped when I saw Carrie asleep on the couch. I chuckled to myself as I saw her.
Her arm was hanging over the side of the couch with the remote falling from her hand. I continued into the kitchen and got the drinks out of the fridge. I took one last look at Carrie after I came out of the kitchen, then continued upstairs into Billie Joe's room.
"Here ya go," I said, handing Billie and Tre their drinks. I sat down on the bed and popped mine open.
"What's Carrie doing?" Tre asked. I smiled at the sound of her name.
"Sleeping." Billie raised an eyebrow after taking a swig of his beer. I also took a swig of mine.
"Why is she sleeping?" I shrugged.
"She fell asleep watching Tv. I guess because she was bored because she feels awkward around you because you treat her like shit." Tre nodded.
"I'd place my money on that." Billie glared at me.
"I don't get why you just won't ask her back out." He rolled his eyes.
"Because, I don't like her anymore." I rolled my eyes also. What a crock of bullshit.
"Dude, you need to make up your mind. If you don't like her anymore, then why the fuck are we working on this song that's about her?"
"Yeah," Tre agreed. Billie just stayed silent. He's a dipstick sometimes.
"Fine. I'm going to sleep, since there's no point in working on the song." I got up from the bed and started to walk out of the room, but Billie's sigh stopped me.
"Okay, I do still like her. I'm just scared of what she'll say." I rolled my eyes and turned around.
"Dude, do you ever listen to me and Tre?"
"Sometimes. Depends on what you're talking about." I ignored that comment and continued.
"Carrie's gonna say yes. She wants to go back out with you."
"Then why'd she break up with me in the first goddamn place?" I shrugged.
"I don't know. She never really specified with me."
"Yeah, never told me anything either," Tre added. Billie sighed again. He's so confused. He doesn't know what to do anymore. I feel bad for the guy. He's my best friend, and I can't really help him cause he doesn't want my help.
"Well, I am going to sleep. I'm tired."
"Where you going to sleep at? My bed's in here." I shifted my eyes and took another swig of my beer.
"I know. I was gonna get a blanket for Carrie, that's all. I'll be back." Tre and Billie nodded and I went out of the room and to the hall closet to get an extra blanket. Most of them smelt funny, but then again, so did Billie's blanket. I grabbed one at random and brought it downstairs into the living room.
I draped it over Carrie and turned off the Tv with the remote she had in her hand. I then went back upstairs into Billie's room and sat on the edge of the bed. We all sat in silence for a bit. It was weird too.
"I'm not tired," Billie suddenly said.
"How come? We've been practicing ever since we got home." Tre started laughing for some reason. I raised an eyebrow at him.
"You said 'practicing.' Sounds like we've been practicing sexual activities."
"Tre, shut up," I chuckled. I turned my attention to Billie and he just shrugged.
"Well, I did some speed earlier, so that could explain why I'm not tired." I glared at him.
"Didn't I tell you not to do any more of that shit?" He rolled his eyes with a slight groan.
"Mike, don't even start."
"Don't tell me to not start. That shit's not good for you--"
"No drug is good for you Mike, but does that stop us with pot?" I just stayed silent. "Besides, I only did some so we could stay up and get that song done."
"Billie, you didn't have to though, cause we could finish the song later today," Tre explained.
"I know that now because we did good so far on getting the basics done. I only did it to be prepared, okay? I won't do it again." I sighed while rolling my eyes and crawled underneath the covers in Billie's bed.
"I'm going to sleep. I don't care if you don't, but I am." Tre got up from the floor and joined me in the bed.
"Yeah, I'm beat too." He scooted over to me and wrapped his arm around my stomach. I furrowed my brow.
"Tre?"
"Hmm?" he answered.
"Get your arm off of me." I heard him snicker and he slowly pulled his arm off of me.
"Night Mike. Night Billie."
"Ditto," I added. I made myself more comfortable and figured Billie wasn't gonna go to sleep when the lights went out and I heard him leave the room.

I get so sick of people trying to tell me what to do. And then they think I actually listen, and get mad when I don't obey them. Stupid, I swear. But no, I wasn't going to sleep. I didn't know what I was gonna do to pass time. It was gonna be a long night, that's for sure. Hm... where the fuck is David?
I walked downstairs into the living room and saw Carrie sleeping peacefully on the couch. I smiled at the sight of her. I just wanted to crawl on the couch and snuggle up with her. I walked passed the couch and into the kitchen, then went into the garage. I gingerly grabbed Blue and unplugged the amp cord from it, then walked back into the kitchen.
I sat down in one of the kitchen chairs and started playing Words I Might Have Ate. It sounded better with my acoustic, but I still had to try it out on the amp. I didn't even know what time it was, and I didn't care either. I knew it was after twelve, and I was aware that I had to go to school... or did I?
I don't feel like going... I think I'll skip. One day's not gonna hurt, right? Plus, we really need the time to work on the song. But then again... we want people to come to the gig, so we have to tell people about it at school... Eh, I'll figure it out later.
I went back out into the garage and hooked Blue up to the amp. I continued to play the song, and smiled when I liked how it sounded. I turned it down it bit though, cause I didn't want to wake anyone up.
Heh. My Mom thought me and Carrie were dating again when she saw her. That was kinda funny... in a way. When she found out we weren't, she was just like... "Oh. Nice to see you again Carrie." It was like she was disappointed, or something. Then she tried to talk to me about it. This is how it went down:
"If you and Carrie aren't together again, then why is she over here?"
"Mom," I sighed. "I really don't wanna talk about it."
"Just answer the question Bill."
"Mike brought her over here. She's staying with him for a while, and you know, he's staying the night, so she had to too."
"Why won't you ask her back out? I know you still like her."
"Mom, she broke up with me. I'm just gonna wait 'til she apologizes."
"That's not how it goes Billie Joe. You're supposed to make the move."
"Ma, please don't give me relationship advice. I know what I'm doing okay? So just drop this conversation."
"I'm just trying to help you out because I'm tired of your moping, and whining. Carrie is a nice girl, and I know you two were happy together."
"Mom, please!"
And then the conversation ended when I finally tuned her out and walked away. She would've gone on, and on about the subject. I sighed as I turned off the amp because I didn't really want to play anymore. Now I had nothing to do except to smoke cigarettes, eat, maybe write another song... or take some sleeping pills to knock myself out.
I left the garage and went back inside the house. I was a little hungry, but there wasn't anything to eat in the house. That's the whole reason why I ordered pizza earlier. I dug around in my pocket and pulled out my car keys. I went back upstairs into my room, searching for a pair of my shoes, cause I didn't remember where I put the ones I took off.
It was dark in my room, except for the light shining inside from the hallway that I turned on so I could see. I saw my shoes by my bed, so I grabbed them, put them on, then went back downstairs. I switched off the light first, of course.
My Mom would get super pissed if I went anywhere late at night without her knowing, but I was bored, hungry, and wasn't going to sleep anytime soon. I wasn't gonna go out and get pissed out of my mind; I was just gonna go to 7/11 to get something to snack on... maybe a root-beer, or something too. I needed more cigarettes also, cause I think I was running out.
I quietly snuck outside through the back door, cause it was in the kitchen, and you can hear the front door open from upstairs. I went around the side and to the driveway, then quietly opened my car door and tried to close it as quiet as I could.
I cursed my car for being a piece of crap when I started the engine. I hoped to God my Mom and Brad didn't hear it. I backed out of the driveway and down to the 7/11 that wasn't very far away. I parked my car, got out, and to my dismay, found out it was closed, although there was someone else in front of the building, smoking.
"Damn it," I muttered, sitting down on the concrete in front of the building.
"Hey Beej." I raised an eyebrow and looked to my left at the person. He had a hood on over his head, and it was down and dark so I couldn't see his face.
"... Do I know you?"
"Of course you do," he said, blowing out smoke. "It's me, Jimmy." I sighed in relief.
"Oh. Hey Jimmy." He chuckled.
"You thought I was some creep, huh?" I shrugged.
"Kinda." He took another drag and came and sat near me, blowing out the smoke through his nostrils. "Hey, could I bum a smoke off ya?" He nodded and pulled a stick out from his pack that was in his pocket, and handed it to me along with his lighter. "Thanks." I put the cig in my mouth and lit the end, then took a long drag.
Jimmy and I didn't talk much at school, cause I was usually with Mike and Tre, and he was with Pepper and Carrie most of the time... and Dustin and Chris. At Pepper's house, we talked. He was pretty cool. He lent me some acid that night, and I don't remember what the fuck else happened.
"What are you doing here at 1:30 in the morning?" he asked. I shrugged.
"I can't sleep, and there's nothing else to do, cause everyone's asleep. I was also hungry, and running low on cigarettes, so I figured I'd come by the 7/11." Jimmy nodded. "What are you doing here?"
"Just trying to get away from my house for a while. Just... thinking about stuff." I nodded and took another drag.
"Carrie's at my house right now." Jimmy pulled his hood down and looked at me with interest.
"Really?" I nodded.
"No, we're not back together."
"How'd you know I was gonna ask?" I shrugged.
"I just knew." Jimmy nodded again.
"Hey, you got any joints on you?" I shook my head sadly.
"I ran out today."
"Damn," he sighed.
"So what's going on at your house?" He sighed again.
"Shit with my dad. Talking shit about shit. Getting on my fucking nerves. He just needs to shut the fuck up about shit he doesn't know, and quit bitching at me to do every little fucking thing he asks me, cause I'm not his fucking servant that he can treat like shit however and whenever he wants to." My eyes widened at Jimmy's sudden outburst.
"Wow." I patted his back to calm his down. He took another drag from his cigarette and blew out the smoke slowly.
"Sorry. You weren't meant to hear that," he said, a little embarrassed.
"No, it's okay dude. I know how you feel... in a sense." Jimmy sighed. "You coming to our gig tonight?" I asked, trying to change the subject.
"Oh, yeah. I don't wanna be home, so definitely." I nodded and stamped out my cigarette after taking another drag from it. I got up from the sidewalk and started walking back to my car.
"Sorry Jim-Jim, but I gotta get back home before they realize I'm gone. You want a ride?" He shook his head.
"Nah, I'm just gonna hang out here for a while." I shrugged and opened my door.
"Suit yourself." I waved before starting the car and driving out of the parking lot. He waved back, and I... you know... started the car and drove out of the parking lot.
I drove back to my house and quietly shut the door once I got out. I went around to the back and slipped in through the back door, which I left unlocked. I locked it once inside and walked into the living room. Carrie was still asleep on the couch. I just wanted to wake her up and kiss her. I missed her so much.
♠ ♠ ♠
Starts off in Mike's POV then switches over to Billie's.