Status: Finished

First Impressions

I

Jack Barakat can remember the exact day that he knew Alex would be his best friend.

The 8 year old was sitting on his front steps, minding his own business, when some tiny blonde kid came walking up his driveway, his whole body hunched over as if he were looking at something on the ground. Jack didn’t know if he should confront the boy or not. Confrontations never turned out well for him, the cast on his wrist proving that. But he stood anyway and walked down to the spot the kid was standing at.

“What are you doing?” Jack asked with both hands in his jeans pockets as best he could with a sprained wrist. His mother told him that if he ever got into another fist fight, he wouldn’t be able to go to the playground anymore. So, Jack decided, keeping his hands in his pockets was the best way to ensure that no fights broke out.

“I was just making sure the lady bug got across the street without getting run over,” the blonde boy said simply, standing up straight.

The first thing Jack noticed about him was his accent. The second thing was that this boy was taking care of a lady bug… Only girls did that!

“Why are you talking like that?”

“Talking like what?”

“I don’t know… You just talk funny.”

“I do not!”

Before Jack could even respond with a ‘yes, you do!’ he was lying on his back in his driveway, staring up at the trees above him. He sat up, rubbing the spot on his arm where the boy had pushed him.

“Oww,” He mumbled to himself, and looked up at the boy who was still standing there.

“I don’t talk funny,” he repeated.

“Fine, you don’t. I don’t care,” Jack said, standing up and brushing the dirt off his clothes. His mother would kill him if he came home with dirty clothes.

“I’m Alex.”

Jack stared at Alex’s hand that he was holding out to him. He took it cautiously. “My name’s Jack…”

Alex grinned and jumped up and down in excitement. “Will you help me get the lady bug back across the street?”

Jack thought about that. Helping a lady bug? That was so…girly. He looked up and down the street, just to make sure that none of the older boys on the block were outside too. If they caught Jack playing with a lady bug, he’d be dead.

“Okay. Sure, I’ll help you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is going to be short... Maybe 7 or 8 chapters. Comment and let me know what you think! The next update will be later tonight or tomorrow. (:

<33