Status: Finished

First Impressions

X

Jack does not think that the conversation will go well at all. When Oliver stops walking and retraces his steps to where Jack is waiting, Jack can’t help but take a tiny step backwards.

“What’s up, Jack?”

Oliver’s greeting is friendly enough, but that means nothing.

“Just um… I wanted to ask you something… just… you know… a request.”

“A request?”

The confusion written all over Oliver’s face encourages Jack, for some strange reason. “Do you think you could stop picking on my boyfriend?”

Jack feels Rian tug on his arm, but he doesn’t budge. This is for Alex. He’s not going to run away.

“Your…boyfriend? And who might that be, Jack?”

“Alex…Tall skinny kid with dirty blonde hair? You occasionally trip him in the hallways,” Jack says, feeling a sudden rush of confidence.

“Wait, are you telling me that you’re gay?”

Oliver’s confusion turns into amusement.

“I… yes.”

Oliver begins to laugh, and Jack can’t really understand why. What’s so funny about this conversation? Shouldn’t this be the point where Oliver punches him, or something along those lines?

“Barakat, you crack me up.”

Now Jack is the one who’s confused. “What?”

“You’re just saying that to get your little friend out of trouble… I must admit, though, it’s pretty considerate of you.”

“But… I’m being serious.”

Oliver shakes his head and pats Jack on the back. “That’s so cute, Jack. Really though, we all know you’re not gay.”

Now, Jack’s getting pissed. How dare Oliver question his…non-masculinity?

“I’m being serious, Oliver!” Jack shouts causing a few other people walking towards the cafeteria to look over. “Alex is my boyfriend!”

“Wait… you gotta be joking.”

Jack shakes his head violently and, of course, at that moment John O'Callaghan walks by. Oliver grabs his arm to stop him.

“What’s up?”

Oliver points at Jack. “This one’s telling me he’s gay. And that our little buddy Alex is his boyfriend.”

“Sounds legit,” John says, tilting his head to the side. “I kind of figured you were gay, honestly.”

Jack blushes a deep red and Rian pulls on his arm even harder than before. “Well… now that we’re all on the same page here… I would really appreciate it if you kindly left Alex alone…”

He takes one small step back, but Oliver pulls him right back to where he was.

“I don’t think so… That’s not really how it goes, Jack, you know that.”

John grins and goes to reach for Jack’s other arm, but Rian’s too quick for them. He pulls Jack backwards. Jack stumbles briefly, but manages to regain his footing and turn and run towards the school parking lot. If he’s lucky, Alex should just be getting to his car now.

He can’t tell if Oliver and John are behind him, but he’s not going to risk turning back to check. He can hear Rian slowing down beside him.

“I’m gonna meet up with Zack!” he calls to Jack. Jack doesn’t do anything to let Rian know he heard him.

Jack reaches the parking lot seconds later and halts all movement. He didn’t ride to school with Alex this morning, so he has no idea where to look for the car. It could be anywhere… But then he spots Alex walking out of the school building. Jack feels very lucky today.

“Alex!”

Alex slows down and looks around for the voice that called him. When he sees that it’s Jack, he frowns and starts to walk towards his car more quickly.

“Alex, wait up! I have to talk to you!”

Just before he begins to run again, Jack looks over his shoulder. John and Oliver are casually walking his way. They don’t look angry, but jack starts running – just in case.

He slams his hands down on the hood of Alex’s car. “Unlock this damn car right now.”

“Why should I?”

“Because I just attempted to get Oliver and John to leave you alone, and let’s just say that we didn’t quite see eye to eye!”

Alex has a blank stare going on for a few seconds before a grin breaks out. “You told them?”

“Yes, now do what I told you to do, and fucking drive.”

“Where to?”

Jack shrugs. His brain did not get that far yet. “I don’t care. Let’s go to your house.”

“Okay…”

Even on the drive home, Alex doesn’t stop smiling.

“You realize that they’re still going to mess with you, don’t you?” Jack tells him, not exactly sure why the smile is still on his boyfriend’s face.

“Yeah I know that…” Alex says, trailing off. He takes Jack’s hand is his own. “You told them I’m your boyfriend. That’s all I really want.”
♠ ♠ ♠
(: Leave comments and you'll get the next chapter tomorrow <333