Sequel: Pieces of Truth
Status: Completed! (Updated for layout, format, and grammar on Sept. 17, 2012)

Paper Lanterns

I'm Understanding Now That

Sunday afternoon came, and I was on my way to meet Drew at Rod's for lunch. He'd called earlier, and I didn't have plans.

Dressed in my jeans and a snug red t-shirt, accompanied by my Chucks, I walked to the nearby spot, where Drew was waiting.

During our quick lunch, he kept me entertained with jokes and stories, and I told a few of my own. There were only a few awkward moments, but they weren't extremely freaky, and I had a pretty good time.

Afterwords, we sat in the booth, drinking sodas, and just talking.

"So Grace, a lovely girl, such as yourself, must have a boyfriend. Why hang out with me?" he asked suddenly.

"Well Drew," I joked in the same tone, "Because I don't have a boyfriend.. And I think you're cute, and very fun to be around."

'Woah. Did I just say that?'

"Aahh. I see. I think you're very cute too. More than cute," he grinned, "and I was wondering if you'd be my girlfriend."

"Drew, I don't know.." I stammered, playing with the straw wrapper.

"I know we're not the closest friends, but we'll take it slow at first. I promise." It was sweet how he tried a puppy face, but it didn't quite work for him.. Hell, I'll just pretend it did.

"Okay, then. I'll be your girl," I smiled, and pecked his cheek.

After paying, we went out and walked down to Telegraph. On the way, he hesitantly took my hand and smiled down at me from his current height of six foot two. The whole time we were walking he watched me with a grin on his face, until I finally laughed.

"Drew! What are you doing?"

"Huh? Is it so wrong to look at something so pretty?"

I didn't even respond, I just blushed and looked ahead of us, spotting Tre walking in our direction on the other side of the street, whistling to himself.

'Oh shit. He won't keep his mouth shut if he sees us.'

"Can we go in here?" I pointed to the nearest store, Amoeba Music, and pulled Drew inside.

"Sorry, I want to check out some new stuff," I half smiled, playing it off like I hadn't purposely avoided Tre.

During the next week, Drew and I grew closer, and word had gotten out at school. Apparently, I was now considered 'socially acceptable' in two different cliques. Oh joy.

I don't really like being bothered with stupid questions about my relationship, and it was so annoying.

It was now Friday night, and I just finished up my stupid Latin and math homework assignments, when the phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hey Grace."

"Hi Drew, what's up?"
"Not much, I was just calling to see if you'd like to go out tonight."

I really didn't want to.. I was hoping to hang out with Billie..

"I can't tonight, I have a huge project for Latin due on Monday, and I need to start it."

"Oh. Maybe sometime this week then?"

"Yeah."

"OK, I'll call you later."

"Bye Drew."

He hung up, and so did I.

Upon picking the phone back up, I dialed in Billie's apartment number.

"City morgue, how may we assist you today? We've got a buy one get one half off sale on embalming, coffins, and cremation today, and we're open till midnight or later!" Tre answered, then burst into laughter at his own stupid joke.

"Hey there Tre,are you guys busy or anything?"

"Uhh. Lemme check."

I heard him yelling, "Hey guys! Grace wants to know if we're busy!"

"Oooh! I wanna talk! Let me talk to Gracie!" Billie shouted, grabbing the phone from Tre.

"Gracie, that you?"

"Uh yeah. Billie Joe, are you high?"

"Juss a little."

"Wicked. Can I come over?"

"Grace! I didn't know you were the pot smoking type!"

"Ah, well, that's what you get for thinking! See you soon," I hung up, and drove over to Mike and Billie's apartment.

When I walked in, Tre announced, "The party has arrived!" then hugged me.

"I'm pretty sure this is considered sexual assault," I laughed, pushing him off.

"Now, where's my joint?" I grinned, as Tre handed me one.

"Thanks," I replied, taking a drag.

Once I was pretty out of it, we were sitting on the floor of the living room, Tre asked, "Sooo Grace, who was that guy I saw you holding hands and being all close with last week?"

"Oh, was it the same guy I saw her with at Gilman?" Mike asked as well, and Billie just stared at me. He looked pretty sober now, waiting intently for an answer.

"Uhh. Oh. That's Drew. Mike said he was a cool guy, so we hung out again, and now we're going out," I leaned back into the couch, resting my head on the seat cushion.

"I gotta go guys. I'll be back whenever," Billie grumbled, glancing at the clock, then left the apartment.

From that moment on, we just sat around and watched TV until the high completely wore off.

"Ugh. It's 2 a.m.," I groaned, flipping through channels. Tre was passed out, Mike was in his room, and Billie. Who knows where he is.

Around 3:45, the door creaked open, and someone tiptoed in, then shut the door, trying to be quiet. I sat up, and switched on the light.

"Hey Billie Joe," I greeted him.

"Hi Grace," he said, not looking up from the fridge.

"Um, not to pry, but how come you're back so late?" He pulled out a bottle of water, still not looking at me.

"I went on a walk.. to you know, clear my head.. To think and shit. Guess I got lost in my mind."

"Oh, okay. Well, I'm going to head home. I just wanted to make sure you got back in one piece. I'll see you later."

"You don't have to. I mean, I'd be more than happy to hit the couch."

I shook my head, "No. You get some sleep. I'll drop by tomorrow or something."

"Bye Gray."

I waved, and left Billie's, then drove home. I went up the large tree near my window, where a tree house once resided, but was long since gone, and snuck in with ease. Yeah. I've done it before.. Quite a few times.

Drew called yet again the next day, and I used the Latin project excuse again. I didn't like lying to him, but something was up with Billie. Something where he'd spend hours to days over analyzing, and end up doing something stupid. So instead of worrying myself to death, I picked up the phone and called him.

"Hello?"

"Hey Beej, it's Grace. I'm really bored, so do you want to meet up and get some coffee?"

We decided to meet at the coffee place on Stuart, and once we hung up I got ready and left.