Sequel: Pieces of Truth
Status: Completed! (Updated for layout, format, and grammar on Sept. 17, 2012)

Paper Lanterns

As The Days Go On I Wonder

Drew walked in, shutting the door behind him.

"Grace, I'm so sorry about earlier. I just got so jealous and I wasn't thinking! I swear on my life that it'll never happen again. I just want a second chance."

"Drew..." I looked from Billie to him.

"This is neither the time nor the place to ask me something like that. There are much bigger things on my plate."

"Like him?" he sneered at Billie, who glared back.

"Yes. I can't worry about his health and be in a relationship right now. I'll have to think.. So just go home Drew."

With that, he hung his head, and left.

"Now, what were you saying?" I changed the subject quickly.

"Oh yeah. You do have reasons! You're alive, I'm alive, and we're on the road to best friendhood. Plus you saved the Band, and I'm eternally grateful."

I smiled, and no, I didn't fake it this time.

"Aaah! There she is! My Gray is back!"

"Yeah, yeah. Don't get too used to it!"

"Anyways. Next subject. I'm sorry for getting all pissed and shit when you pulled that prank on me and Tre. It was pretty good, but I'm not used to being the butt of a joke."

"It's alright. I'm over it.. But I think you're too moody for your own good. Too smart as well. Are you on your man-period or something?"

"AHH SICK! MENTAL PICTURE!!" Once the words escaped his lips, an image appeared in my mind as well.

"Oh fuck!" I shrieked, trying to blink the thought away. "Okay. All good," I proclaimed, now dirty-image free.

After we both finished his dinner, Billie and I were playing twenty questions, when he asked, "Do you want to get back with Drew?"

"Excuse me?"

"You heard what I said," he lowered his voice.

"Just making sure.. I really don't know. He's not that great. I mean.. Drew's a nice guy, but I don't see him like he sees me.. Or like he says he sees me. I'm not going to get his hopes up though. I'll tell him on Monday I guess."

The doctor and a few nurses came in. Dr. Schiller asked me,

"We heard that Mr. Armstrong has been moving his legs around?"

"Yeah..?"

"I think it's still asleep.." Billie said more to himself than anyone else. Still, the doc heard.

"Well, that's a good sign. We're just going to take him for some quick rescans and tests. You can come along if you'd like, Miss."

"Um, okay?" I followed as the nurses rolled Billie out of the room.

Dr. Schiller walked beside me, and said, "The boy's mother told us you are very good friends with him. You'd have to be blind, deaf, and stupid not to see it," in a hushed tone.

"Oh," I whispered, not totally understanding.

"Oh!" I finally grasped the concept. "No sir. We aren't together."

"Well, then you two are the stupid ones," a nurse, Molly, her name tag read, laughed, as well as the other nurses. I knew I was blushing a pretty deep red, because I caught Billie's wide smile before he was wheeled to the CAT scanner.

I sat there in my own world, thinking about their statements. I couldn't possibly like Billie more than a friend. Granted, there was no way on Earth you couldn't be attracted to the guy. Billie Joe had an amazing personality, as well as his looks.

Though... If I did feel that way about Billie, he surely would think of me that way. That's just how things work.. Guys are clueless idiots.

But there's no helping it now. I love the way he over exaggerates, and pouts when he doesn't get his way. How I can read his amazing, bright green eyes like a book, or how I used to. Now he can cover certain tells with some unrecognizable ones.

Before I could continue my thoughts, we were back in room 408 and I heard my name being called.

"Huh?" I looked up.

Billie laughed, "Holy shit girl! Were you out of it or what!?"

I faintly smiled, sitting down.

"Sorry, I was just thinking."

"About?"

"I'd rather not talk about it."

"Oh," his face fell, a look of hurt crossed his features.

"I didn't mean it like that. It's just not important."

I began to stare off into space, mentally listing everything I loved about Billie.

"Guess what," he suddenly blurted.

"What?"

"You're graduating in a week in a half."

"Ohh. Yeah," I remembered. Finals were coming up, but I felt ready. I had no distractions in class, so I took fairly decent notes, and did my work.

"What're you gonna do after that?" he asked.

"I have no idea.."

"Well, what do you want out of life?"

My first thought was, 'You,' but I kept that to myself, and shrugged.

"I'm not sure. I guess travel for a bit, and find a nice city with cool people near the beach."

"So you're gonna sit back and watch life pass by?"

"No, I'm going to sit back and wave as it passes me by. There's a difference."

"No there isn't!"

"You know we could 'yeah-huh' and 'nuh-uh' all day."

"I know, you could.. Start a band! Go, dare I say it, to college! Be in my band, and do gigs and shit. Don't just settle when you know something great is out there for you."

"I guess you're right.."

"Trust me, I know I'm right," he smirked.

The next week and a half was a busy hell. Between visiting Billie and studying for finals.. It was terrible. Not to mention Drew. He'd come to be extremely creepy and weird when he was alone with me. But in public, he was a goody-goody.

I kept receiving little sweet notes in my locker, so I asked Drew, who was totally oblivious, and I believed him when he said that it wasn't him.

Graduation day rolled around, and my last note said to meet the person after the whole ceremony thing on the bench under the large Oak tree outside the school.

Dressed in my cap and gown, I waited for my name to be called, and then received my diploma.

'Oh thank God!' I cheered inwardly at the thought of school finally being done. I received flowers from my Dad, as well as congratulations from Ollie, and my cousins who had attended. Even Mike, Tre, and Billie Joe came, but the three left shortly after.

Probably ten minutes after people began to leave, I hugged everyone one more time, then made my way to the tree. Upon sitting on the bench, I noticed another envelope, and opened it.

Grace, look to the left.

Still holding the piece of paper, I rolled my eyes, sighing, and looked up to my left, to see that no one was there.