Sequel: Pieces of Truth
Status: Completed! (Updated for layout, format, and grammar on Sept. 17, 2012)

Paper Lanterns

I Find It Hard To Keep Control

We sat and ate, carrying on a conversation about the most random things. I was pretty distracted, still entranced by the lights across the bay.

When our meal was finished, Billie put the things back into the car, as well as his crutches. After locking the doors, he slid an arm around my waist, walking me along the pier.

"Billie Joe, don't you think you need those crutches? Your ankle has got to be killing you."

He'd fractured it in the crash; but when the doctors x-rayed him, he couldn't sit still, making them believe it was worse than it actually was.

"Nah. I took some painkillers before I left."

The look of concern didn't leave my face.

"Relax, I'm fine, ooh! Look! Want some ice cream?" he pointed with his free hand to a cart.

"Sure," I smiled. It was no use arguing with him.

Billie bought two vanilla cones, and we continued to walk, eating and joking around.

When Billie drove up to my house, I looked from the door to him.

"Do you want to come in?" It was only 11:30, probably earlier.

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

"Okay then," and we both entered the house.

Dad's car wasn't in the driveway, and Jeff was nowhere to be seen.

Billie followed me up to my bedroom, but being the paranoid person I am, I made sure he was careful.

"I'll be right back. Don't go anywhere, kay?"

"Wouldn't dream of it," he smirked, and I rolled my eyes, heading to the bathroom down the hall.

[Billie Joe]

When Grace left, I strolled around the room, checking out her record and tape collection, the pictures and posters on the surrounding light purple walls, and I saw the teddy bear she's had since third grade sitting on her bed.

I went over to the desk near the door, and saw something that caught my eye.

A letter from UCSD.

Once I picked it up, I knew it was an acceptance letter.

'I'm such an idiot,' my mind yelled at me, 'I should've seen this coming.'

[Grace]

I went back into my room to see Billie standing at my desk, a piece of paper in his hands.

"Billie Joe?" I asked calmly, and he looked up.

'Oh shit..'

There was a look of hurt, disappointment, and anger there. His eyes were slightly glazed over, in a state of disbelief.

"Grace," he croaked, dropping the letter he held. It was my UCSD letter.

"Billie, no. It's not like you think.."

"Oh? So what is it then? Were you planning on telling me? Or were you just going to disappear when fall came," his voice was slightly rising with every word.

I shook my head furiously.

"Shut up and let me explain before you blow your top for no reason!" I snapped, and he opened his mouth, only to shut it.

"Okay, you know how I said I had no clue what I wanted to do, right?" Billie nodded.

"Well, I told my dad, and he said that I'd be better off applying and deciding not to go than waiting all summer, make up my mind, and not get in. Also, I just got the letter today, and I was going to tell you."

"I'm sorry," he sighed, "again."

"It's perfectly fine."

"No, it's not. I just ruined our date."

"Well, there will be plenty of opportunities if you can make up for that little speed bump," I laughed, and sat on my bed. Billie came and sat beside me.

"How's Ralph been?" he asked out of nowhere.

"Huh?"

"How's Ralph?" he repeated, reaching over me and grabbing my bear.

"OH! He's had his ups and downs. Same old, same old."

"Has anyone tried to kidnap him?" Billie laughed.

"Not since Marc Jenson took him in fourth grade. He's learned some kickass karate from Chuck Norris shows though, just in case."

I stared off into space for a bit, then snapped back when I remembered I was going to ask Billie something.

"Hey Beej?" I asked, and he eyed me suspiciously.

"Yes, Gray?"

"I've been wanting to ask you something for the past week, but you have to promise you won't get upset or bent out of shape."

"I can sure try."

"Okay. How come you lied when I asked you about what was bugging you?"

He glanced away, obviously nervous, then looked back at me.

"So you really want the truth?" I nodded.

"I was so fucking jealous of Drew. That he'd known you for what? Two days, and he was already asking you out. It killed me to watch you and him at Rod's when he asked you. I just wanted to beat his face in, but I lied because I didn't want to compromise your relationship with him, or with me."

"You were at Rod's?"

"Yeah. I bus tables with Mike there. But I swear, I wasn't spying on you or anything."

"Billie Joe.."

I completely forgot what I was saying when I felt Billie's lips crash onto mine. For those few seconds, possibly minutes, a euphoric feeling came over me, and nothing mattered except for Billie and myself.

His lips had a slight roughness to them, but were mostly soft and smooth, I took notice, not wanting to forget the feeling. I felt his hands exploring my body, one planted on my waist, the other wandering, as my arms were around his neck, and I was tangling my fingers in his hair.

We were so caught up in ourselves, that I didn't hear the visitor in my room.

"Ahem," came my brother's voice, and I nearly jumped away from Billie.

"What the fuck is going on?" he snapped, glaring.

"Jeff, what do you want?" I stumbled, trying not to make it worse.

"Nevermind that. Why is he here, and why was he kissing you?"

"Because," Billie cut in, "because, my dear boy, Grace and I just came back from a date, and if I'm not mistaken, that's what people who go on dates do. Though you may not know much about the subject."

"Dating? You stay away from my sister! You hear me? She doesn't need or want you."

"What the hell, Jeff!" I stood up, "now, all three of us know that isn't even the slightest bit true! Why would you say that? You can't read my mind!"

Jeff didn't answer, he just continued to glare at Billie.

"Billie Joe, I need to talk to him alone."

He nodded, "I'll be right outside. Just yell if you need me." Billie went into the hall, shutting the door behind him.

"Now, will you tell me why you're so upset?"

"I'm just looking out for my sister! Why aren't you with Drew?"

"Jeff, I broke up with him two weeks ago. It didn't feel right, because I didn't like him the way he was interested in me."

"Just stay away from him, if you know what's good for you."