Sequel: Pieces of Truth
Status: Completed! (Updated for layout, format, and grammar on Sept. 17, 2012)

Paper Lanterns

I Do Not Mind if All I Am is

"So, I shouldn't get a job?"

"That's not what I said," Billie covered.

"How am I going to get my own place if I can't pay for it? How can I buy food or clothes without some sort of income?"

"This is your summer. The last few months of freedom between finishing school and starting a career. I'm saying you should enjoy yourself while it lasts."

I nodded in understanding, "I'm still going to apply at Amoeba. I can't just sit around the house with you for three months."

"Who says we'd just sit around?" he wiggled his eyebrows suggestively, and winked.

"Yea- no. I'm going to get an application today, and see what happens. It's not like you aren't a regular there anyways. I'm sure you'll come distract me," I added, making him smile.

"I guess I could deal with that."

Soon enough, it was the June 3rd, and I was sitting in Mike and Billie's apartment, playing some weird card game. Billie was off his crutches, and I'd gotten the cashier job at Amoeba.

"What're you up to tomorrow, Gracie?" Tre asked.

He called me that for some reason, and I didn't mind at all. He's a really good person to talk to about anything.

"I dunno. I'll probably go in and work, then come here and hang out. Nothing special," I told him.

"But it's your birthday!" Mike shot, surprised.

"Your eighteenth birthday," Tre added.

"Yeah, I know."

"So why not celebrate?" Tre asked, and I looked to Billie, who hadn't said a word, and he just shrugged.

"I don't really want to.. Nobody cares, and I'm too lazy. So just deal."

No one brought up my birthday again, until Tre had left and Mike went to bed. Billie and I were on the couch, watching TV.

"Gray, how come you aren't excited for tomorrow?"

I shrugged, flipping the channel.

"Now, what happens when we don't talk?"

"Someone gets hurt," I let out in a soft voice.

"I don't know. A week ago, I couldn't wait. But now, it's just so.. Blah. So what? I'm eighteen.. Whoo-hoo," I rolled my eyes, and Billie laughed.

"But just think. You're free. You can do whatever, be whoever, and don't have to follow your dad's rules."

"I'm still living with him. I can't afford a place yet."

Billie got this gleam in his eyes; excitement and mischief at the same time.

"What?"

"Nothing," he quickly looked away, a smile on his face.

"Tell me," I demanded.

"No," he shot back.

"Please?"

"Nope."

"Fine. Be that way," I crossed my arms, turning away from him.

I felt an arm drape over my shoulders, and I turned my gaze to Billie, and smiled, zoning off to my thoughts.

Billie Joe is everything anybody could ever want.. and then some. He's so protective, and caring. He knows when to kid around, and when to be serious. He's got his own dreams and ambitions that nobody can touch. He's a musical genius, and wants to use it for the benefit of not only himself, but the musical world.

But there's just one little problem; he's not mine. Sure, he may have some little crush on me or whatever, but there will be someone better. Someone prettier, smarter, and more willing to make him forget.

'I'm not going to get my hopes up,' I told myself over and over, then yawned. I leaned into Billie, resting my head on his shoulder, and quickly fell asleep.

When I woke up, I wasn't on the couch. I could tell I was in Billie's bed, but he wasn't there. The clock read ten am, and I had to be at work at ten thirty. Nobody was in the apartment besides myself. I spotted a note taped to the fridge, and glanced at it.

Gray- gone to band practice at Tre's. I'll pick you up from work at five. xx Billie

I smiled, then went back into Billie's room. I found a clean Operation Ivy shirt that fit well and smelled like Billie Joe. I slipped on my Chucks, grabbed a baggie of Cheerios, and walked to work.

Work was uneventful. Nobody came to visit me, but the manager did let me have a few cassettes for my special day and all.

It was 5:15, and Billie wasn't here to get me.

'He's usually so good about this,' I thought, stacking some records. He was always on time or early when picking me up from Amoeba.

Ten minutes passed, and I was fed up, all ready to leave and walk home, when Billie came in.

"Hey Gray," he smiled.

"Don't you 'hey Gray,' me," I snapped, walking out and getting into the car. When we got to his building, we got out, and went up to the third floor.

He covered my eyes, opened the door, and pushed me in.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRACE!" A crowd of people greeted me. There were twenty or thirty people that I'd become friends with over the years. Sarah, Sam, and Kristen, and even a few of the kids I'd befriended when I was with Drew.

We all hung out, talking, dancing, and getting just a bit high. Before I got the chance to even touch a joint, Billie pulled me off to the bathroom.

"How's the party?"

"Billie Joe! Thank you so much. This is the best present ever!"

"But wait, there's more," he smiled, handing me a small, wrapped box.

I stared at it until he said, "Go ahead, it's not gonna open itself!"

I carefully unwrapped the box, and pulled off the top, to see a key. I picked it up, and examined it.

"Grace, will you move in with me and Mike?" I looked up at him, and saw the bright, hopeful gleam in his eyes, willing and begging me at the same time.

"Billie," I shook my head, "I can't just up and leave my family like that. Not now, at least. With Jeff on drugs, and Dad out of town every other week, I just.. Can't."

"Oh.. Alright then," his gorgeous features fell, a look of hurt all over.

"But, as soon as Fall comes around, we'll see what happens."

"I get it. The offer still stands. From now until you do come and stay." He opened the door, and went out into the crowd.

I made my way to Billie's room, wanting to be alone, and shut the door behind me. I sat on the bed, and noticed something funny.

The room was clean. The opened closet had neatly hung clothes, with extra hangers on the right hand side. I looked and found three empty dresser drawers, and a cleaned off bedside table.

He really wanted me to move in today.