Sequel: Pieces of Truth
Status: Completed! (Updated for layout, format, and grammar on Sept. 17, 2012)

Paper Lanterns

Just A Friend To You

Now I felt awful. I'd gotten his hopes up, and crushed them. I put the key in my pocket, and lay on the bed. A half an hour later, a knock came to the door.

"Go away," I murmured, but the door opened. I rolled on my side, away from the person who just entered, as they sat on the bed beside me.

"Gracie," Tre cooed, "what's wrong?"

"Billie Joe asked me to move in, and I told him I couldn't right now."

"So? Why're you so upset?" he asked quietly.

"Because! He cleaned and organized for me to move in here. I feel so terrible." I sighed, and Tre placed a comforting hand on my back.

"It's not like we're together or anything, but still."

"Gracie, don't beat yourself up. It's your decision, and he shouldn't have the right to make you feel like shit for saying no."

Then the door burst open, and in fell two people, all over each other, clearly intoxicated. I sat up, switching on the bedside lamp, staring in shock at Billie as he laid on the ground, a blond girl on top of him sucking his face off.

Tre held onto me, and pushed me out the door, immediately shutting it so I couldn't get back in. I turned from the door to face Mike, who was staring at me with wide eyes.

"I need to get out of here. Bye Mike," I slightly smiled at him as I left, walking back home.

[Billie Joe]

"She said no. I don't understand. I'm trying to save her from that hellhole," I told Mike, a beer in one hand, a joint in the other.

"Hey guys! Where's the birthday girl?" Tre asked, and we shrugged.

Shortly after, a tiny, blond girl came up to me, a huge flirty smile on.

"Hey Billie," she giggled.

"Hey?"

'What was this chick's name? Oh what the hell. Anything to get my mind off Grace,' I thought, smiling back.

This girl had me pressed against my bedroom door, and once she broke away to grab something, I moaned out, "Ohh.. Gray."

She opened the door, and I fell backwards into my already occupied room. I looked up just in time to see Grace walk out, and Tre shut the door shortly after, a very scary look on his face telling me I fucked up big time.

[Grace]

For the next two weeks, I had little contact with the outside world. Unless I was at work or talking to Tre, I spent those fourteen days in my room, moping around, playing guitar, or crying. After the sixth day I stopped crying about it, and just started to write angry songs.

I haven't returned any calls.

None from Mike, my Dad, or Billie, who'd been the one to call the fewest times. From what I'd heard from Tre, he's taking it pretty hard too. I'm not the one who did that thing. But I cannot believe him.

I had an hour left of work today, and the door's bell rang, signaling a customer. I looked up discreetly from behind the shelf I was behind, and immediately ducked down.

There stood Billie, pale, with dark circles around his eyes. He looked thinner than usual, and had something in his hands, but I couldn't see.

"Grace, I know you're here. Just come out," he called in a raspy voice; like he hadn't spoken in months.

"Fine. You know what. I'll leave," I heard the bell jingle, and I came out, walking to the counter. There was a single golden coloured hibiscus sitting there, and I picked it up.

"How'd he know.."

Billie came out from behind a shelf, "That they're your favourite?"

I jumped, and spun around, staring at him.

"I gave you one for your birthday in fourth grade."

I nodded, watching as he came closer to me.

"You look awful.. Just as miserable as I feel," I half smiled.

"How do you manage to look beautiful and depressed all at the same time?" he asked me.

"I don't know. Why don't you go find someone who's beautiful, and fuck with her heart."

"I already have.. Grace, I'm so sorry. I know I make the worst choices after being rejected, but I think I know how to fix it."

"It meaning..?"

"My pain, but most of all, yours."

"How can you do that?"

He gently took my hands into his, and took a breath.

"This. You feel it? I know I do.. Something that no one else can touch or feel for another person. I want you to come to Gilman's for our gig tonight, okay?" I nodded slowly, letting it soak in.

"What time?"

"Eight."

"Okay. I'll be there," I told him in a quiet voice.

"Can I take you to lunch?" he asked quickly, fiddling with the corner of a poster.

"Um.. I'm off in thirty minutes," I was interrupted by a ringing phone.

"Hold on," I went to the counter, picking it up.

"Amoeba Music, Grace here, how can I help?"

"Oh hey Ash. Yeah.. I guess. I was about to get off.. Yeah. I guess I could cover till five.. See ya. Bye," I hung up. "Sorry, I have to cover for a friend."

"That's okay. I'll be back in a few," he waved, and headed out the door.

'Uh.. Okay?'

I sat at my post behind the counter, playing solitaire until Billie came back.

"Sandwiches, anyone?" he held up a take out bag and two sodas from a deli down the street.

I nodded, "Sure, thanks for this.."

Billie sat behind the counter with me and gave me my sandwich.

"Don't worry. I couldn't take you to lunch, so I brought it to you."

So we sat and ate, talking to each other like we'd just hung out yesterday. Neither of us brought up the subject, but I wanted to. Against my better judgment, I kept it to myself.

Billie had made it clear that he wasn't leaving until my extra shift was over, and that he'd keep me company.

"Billie Joe, do you really want to sit around in a record store for the next three hours?"

"Only since you're working," he smiled, throwing out our food wrappers.

"Why don't you go hang out with Mike and Tre? I mean, practice for your gig of whatever."

"Sometimes, you just need a break from those two. I need to spend some quality time with you, Grace."