Sequel: Pieces of Truth
Status: Completed! (Updated for layout, format, and grammar on Sept. 17, 2012)

Paper Lanterns

But All I Want to Know Right Now

Later that night, I stood in the crowd at Gilman's, waiting for Green Day to get on stage.

"How's everybody fucking doin' tonight?!" Billie yelled into the mic, only to be greeted by the audience he'd won over a few weeks ago. They began the set and I watched, still awed. I noticed a golden hibiscus in Billie's back pocket and three songs later, he said,

"This next one goes out to a girl I'm very close with. I hope she knows that. This is called 1,000 Hours."

"AW!" laughed the guys of the crowd, and Billie laughed with them.

He quickly re-tuned, then pulled out the hibiscus, sticking the stem of it between his strings and fingerboard, at the very top of the neck, and began.

"Starlit night,
The moon is shining bright
You're the one I need.
Up at your window
I see a shadow
Silhouette of your grace."


I took in a sharp breath, and my mind went numb, only the music getting through.

"Here's this flower,
I picked for all the hours
That you've spent with me.
The one I love,
That I've been dreaming of,
Sailing across the sea.

Let my hands flow through
Your hair. Moving closer,
A kiss. we'll share
Passionate love to be all night long
We'll never break, as one too strong

Nothing's more
Than what our love is for
As I kiss your cheek
Oh so softly
Hands flowing down my back
1,000 hours, I'll never leave
Our romance
Is a love trance
And now we'll never part
1,000 hours
of such a love shower
We'll never stop, once we start.

Let my hands flow through
Your hair. Moving closer,
A kiss. we'll share
Passionate love to be all night long
We'll never break, as one too strong

Let my hands flow through
Your hair. Moving closer,
A kiss. we'll share
Passionate love to be all night long
We'll never break, as one too strong."


I stared as Billie walked off the stage, along with Mike and Tre. I was sort of watching the next band, not totally focused, when someone tapped my shoulder.

"Billie wants to talk to you outside," Tre told me, and I nodded. He walked me to the front door, and pushed me out gently.

I saw Billie to the right, so I went over to him.

"Hey," I half smiled, and he smiled back, stuffing his hands in his jean's pockets.

"Great set tonight," I let out quickly, feeling awkward and unsure of myself.

"Thanks," he pulled out the flower from his back pocket, and placed it in my hair, tucking it behind my ear.

I felt myself flush, and Billie's eyes lit up at the sight.

"Gray.. There's something I gotta tell you. It's okay if you don't like it, but I have to get it out there." I nodded, urging him on.

"IthinkI'minlovewithyou," he said in one breath.

"What?" I asked, and he looked taken back, almost insulted.

"Slower this time," I knew what he said, I just wanted to make sure.

"I-think-I'm-in-love-with-you," he enunciated, and I smiled.

"I think I'm in love with you too."

I watched a huge grin spread over his face, as he pulled me into a lovely kiss. It wasn't lustful or demanding, it was tender, romantic, and euphoric.

"Oh finally!" I heard Tre, who was clapping.

"I thought I'd have to do it for ya man!"

"Shut up, you ruined it!" I shouted at Tre, who ran back inside.

"Grace?"

"Yes, Billie Joe?" I replied, once I'd turned back to face him.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Of course."

He gave me a tight hug, and a quick kiss, before asking, "So, how'd you like your song?"

"I loved it," I told him, lacing my fingers with his.

"Want me to take you home?" he asked, and I shook my head.

"I brought my car. But I'll drive you back, and I'll just crash with you, if that's okay."

"Yeah, that's cool," he led me inside, and gathered his equipment, then loaded it into my car, and we were off.

"I'm really glad you asked me, Billie."

"Well, I'm happy I worked up the balls to finally ask," he laughed.

I pulled up, and helped lug the amps up to the third floor, and into the apartment.

"Holy fuck am I tired," I yawned.

"Then go to bed," Billie told me, and I just stared at him.

"Where?"

"My room, duhh," he rolled his eyes with a faint smile, pushing me into the room.

"Can I borrow some pj's?" He nodded, pulling out boxers and a plain white tee for me.

"Thanks," I smiled, taking them and changing in the bathroom.

Once I'd gotten into bed, Billie had stripped down to his boxers and undershirt, and grabbed a pillow.

"I'll be on the," I cut him off.

"You'll be right here, with me."

With a smirk, he hopped into bed next to me, and pressed his lips to mine. My mind went blank, and I was filled with that feeling.. The one where everything is perfect, and nothing matters but the two of us.

I pulled away, just to catch my breath.

"Goodnight, Billie Joe," I smiled, laying down, and he did the same; pulling me into him, he whispered,

"Goodnight my Grace," and kissed my cheek.

I turned off the bedside lamp, and snuggled into Billie, completely engulfed in his comforting arms and aroma.

I had no trouble falling asleep; I felt safe, and the restlessness was gone. All I know, is that this is one of those moments that last a lifetime.

[Billie Joe]

When I opened my eyes the next morning, with Grace in my arms, I felt like the luckiest guy on earth. I gazed at her soft facial features. She was pale, but it made her somewhat more attractive to me. Her eyelids hid those amazing, bright seafoam eyes, and auburn locks of hair were covering her forehead, hanging over her eyes.

A small smile was set on her lips, and I could only imagine why.

She's not just 'that girl I grew up with.' Grace is 'that girl I fell in love with on day one.' I pulled her in closer, and played with her hair, until I fell back asleep.