Sequel: Pieces of Truth
Status: Completed! (Updated for layout, format, and grammar on Sept. 17, 2012)

Paper Lanterns

I'm Understanding now That

The next morning I got up at nine and made waffles while Billie slept. I showered and changed into a pair of jeans and a Misfits shirt, leaving my drying hair down.

Today I was taking the BART to San Francisco, while Billie was at practice. I just wanted to get out for a few hours, but I'd rather have him with me.

"Hey Grace," Billie smiled groggily, now in the kitchen.

"Hey sleepyhead," I laughed, "I'm going to San Fran today. Too bad you've got practice."

"Oh screw that. I'll tell them it's tomorrow instead. When are we leaving?"

"After you eat and get ready."

With that, he grabbed a waffle, and stuffed it in his mouth.

"Kishh?" he asked, coming towards me with a mouthful of half chewed waffles.

"Ew, I'd rather not."

"Fine," he crossed his arms, swallowing hard.

Twenty minutes later, we were on the train to the city. I'd never been under the bay in the train, so I was a little nervous, but Billie kept me distracted the entire time with a quick make out session. When we arrived at our stop, I heard a woman muttering, "Kids these days.." to her friend.

"So, what now?" Billie asked as we walked down the street.

"I dunno," I shrugged, forgetting any reasons I may've wanted to come here in the first place. We went in and out of stores, causing trouble, until we went into the music shop.

Billie picked up some strings and picks, browsing around until he came upon a guitar. I watched him stop, stare longingly at it, then shake his head and walk up to the cashier.

I picked up the guitar; a white 1956 Gibson Les Paul Junior.. After making a mental note, I set it down, and left the store with Billie.

"This is stupid. Why walk around here, when we could sit at home and sleep?' I asked, turning and walking towards the nearest BART stop.

"Or we could be at home.. making out!"

"Uh.. yeah. That too," I rolled my eyes, paying for a ticket.

Back at home, I went into our room to take off my shoes and put things away, when Billie entered. I sat on the bed, untying my Chucks, and Billie came over, now hovering above me.

"Uh, move please?" I looked up.
He gently pushed me backwards and straddled me, placing kisses all over. I caught his lips with mine and tuned out the world until I felt his fingers grazing the skin under my top. I thought for a second, then let it go.. But things began to get more heated and intense, moving way too fast.

"Billie," I panted after pulling away.

"Hmm Grace," he mumbled while kissing my neck, which probably already adorned a hickey or two.

"Stop.. too fast," I breathed, and he immediately quit, getting up.

"I'm sorry," he grumbled, rubbing the back of his neck.

"No.. It's not that I didn't like it. I didn't want to get too into it and do something I may or may not be ready for."

"What makes you think I wouldn't stop and ask if you were ready?"

"The fact that I wouldn't have a rational thought going on in my head.. Unless it was 'ooh yes. I want you here and now.. Don't care where.. Now.' and wouldn't be able to say no."

"I still would've stopped," he told me, obviously not listening to a word I said.

"It's not about that, Billie Joe! It's about how I can't control myself when I'm with you like that. Nothing else matters but us."

"Oh," was all he could say in response.

"So, have fun jacking off tonight. I'm going out," I grabbed my keys, my bag, and left.

I drove to Rod's, and sat at the counter, near the very end.

"Hey there Grace!" Sarah smiled, and waved. I waved back, as she got me the usual; a Coke and fries.

"How's life been? I haven't seen you since your birthday," she asked in her usual friendly manner.

"Oh, it's been okay. I moved in with my boyfriend and I'm working at Amoeba. No clue what I want from life, but I'll figure it out sometime."

"Aw, so you and Billie finally got together?"

"Yeah," I smiled softly.

"That's great to hear. At least one of us isn't single."

"Well, what're you up to?"

"I'm taking a few art classes at UC Berkley and working here. Being too shy, and not asking a boy out.."

"Oh? Do I know this guy?"

She nodded, "Mike.. You know, the one who works here."

"Oh yeah, Billie's friend! He's our roommate too."

"Really?"

"Mmhmm," I nodded again. "You know, you should come over and hang out some time."

"Are you serious? That would be really cool."

"Oh, and could you send Ollie down here when you get a chance?"

"Sure."

"I'll see you soon then?"

"Yep!" Sarah then left me to eat in peace.

Once I'd finished, Ollie came over to me, a small, knowing smile set on her tired face.

"Grace! I'm surprised to see you here by yourself."

"Why?"

"I figured Billie Joe would be trying to take you all over town.. I swear, that boy is so over the top."

"Nah, I made dinner tonight. Nothing was on TV, so I decided to get out," I lied.

"Oh, really now. Alright then. I've got to get back to my station, but you take care, and come by anytime you feel like it."

"Thanks Ollie," I paid and waited for Sarah to get off her shift.

"Hey, Sare?"

"Yeah?"

"You live in a dorm, right?"

"Well, no. I live at my parent's house.."

"Would it be alright if I came over? I'm frustrated with Billie, and I need to think stuff over."

"Yeah, that's fine. Just follow me back."

So I followed Sarah, and once at her house; which wasn't too far from my dad's, she led me to a room.

"This was my brother's, but he's at Texas State playing football." I smiled, and thanked her again before heading to bed.

[Billie Joe]

I watched the hours pass, waiting for Grace to walk in the door with a smile on her face, ready to hear my many apologies.

3 a.m., and she's nowhere to be seen.

So, I called up Tre, begged him to come over, and woke up Mike. When Tre came, I told them everything, and how I didn't get what I did to make her so mad.

"Dude, she's angry because you didn't shut up and listen," Tre told me, to which Mike added, "She's probably cooling down somewhere."

I nodded, running a hand through my hair, and heaved a sigh.

"But where?"