Sequel: Pieces of Truth
Status: Completed! (Updated for layout, format, and grammar on Sept. 17, 2012)

Paper Lanterns

To This Day I'm Asking, Why

I carefully got out of bed, and went into the bathroom across the hall. After looking in the mirror, I decided I didn't look anymore disheveled than usual, and I didn't feel sore.

'Thank god,' I sighed, relieved that I hadn't slept with Billie.

I went into the kitchen, and poured a bowl of Rice Krispies, then sat on the couch. Eventually Billie came out, looking tired as hell. He sat down beside me, a goofy smile on his face.

"Hey babe."

"G'morning, Beej," I continued to eat, and set the bowl on the coffee table once I'd finished.

Billie gave me a soft kiss, and sent me a wink once he'd pulled away.

"Ready for round two?" he asked me in a hushed voice, as I just stared at him obliviously.

"What?"

"You don't remember!?" I shook my head.

"We-"

"Good morning you guys!" Mike said, a cup of coffee in hand.

"Hey," I smiled.

"Bye you guys," Mike laughed, heading for work.

I turned back to Billie.

"We what?"

"Almost did the dirty, but,"

"Oh .. thank god. I was really worried. What's wrong with you, getting me all freaked out?"

"Let me finish! But I stopped, because I knew we wouldn't remember a thing, and I want you to be able to brag about what a good fuck I am to all your girlfriends."

I smiled, slightly laughing, "How thoughtful of you."

I gave him a kiss before continuing, "It really means a lot that you didn't take advantage of the situation."

"Much to my displeasure..." he grumbled.

"Don't worry, it'll come sometime. You just have to be patient."

We sat in silence until I told him, "I'm going to go see my dad at his office today.. I need to tell him about what happened."

Billie nodded in understanding.

"Do you want me to go with you?"

"That'd be a good idea, don't you think?"

"Yep, silly me. What on earth was I thinking?"

I laughed, and got up to get dressed in the bedroom. In my dark jeans, black Beatles tee, and chucks, I did my makeup while Billie got dressed.

"Ready?" he asked, holding out his hand. I nodded slightly, lacing my fingers with his as we entered one of the many buildings of San Francisco. We went up to the tenth floor, and went over to the assistant, Rachel.

"Hey, is my dad in?" I asked her.

"Yeah, he just got back from lunch. Should I let him know you're here?"

"Nah, we'll just go in." She nodded with a slight smile towards his door, and I led the way.

After knocking, I opened the door, pulling Billie in.

"Hey Dad," I smiled at him.

"Hi there sweetheart. How've you been? I was really worried when I found out you moved, but there must be some rational explanation as..to.." he trailed off, staring at Billie, only breaking his gaze to eye our entwined hands.

"Oh," he let out quietly, sitting in his nice chair.

We sat in the chairs opposite from him, and endured an awkward silence.

"So, what brings the two of you here?" Dad finally asked, looking a bit nervous.

"Uh.. I thought I should tell you where I'm living, and why I moved out." I glanced over to Billie, who nodded, urging me on. When I looked back to my dad, his face had only grown more pale and he seemed fidgety.

"Okay," I took a breath, "the old captain of Jeff's varsity baseball team came up with this initiation dare thing to sort of pass the torch to the new pitcher, and being high and drunk, the guy came up with a terrible thing.. The old captain tried to sexually assault me."

My father nodded, "I already know."

"What?!" Billie and I spat, and Dad just continued.

"Jeff came to me and told me all about what they tried to do. How they were drunk, and didn't know any better."

"That's a bunch of bull! He was dead sober when he tried to do it! Oh, and did he mention that the time he said I 'fell down the stairs' was because of him!? He came home from practice high, and beat the fucking shit out of me! I went to Billie Joe in both cases, because I knew you'd take his side!"

"Grace, I didn't.."

"Yeah. You didn't know. That's why I live with Billie Joe and his friend Mike. I've got a job and good friends who actually care."

Again, I looked to Billie, as if asking permission to tell him about us. It took him a second to catch on and he nodded.

"And I have Billie Joe, Dad. He's always been there for me, and is probably the best boyfriend I could ask for.."

'Aside from our little fights now and then'

"I know, you don't have to tell me what a great kid BJ is."

"Thanks," he smiled, feeling an ego boost.

"And I'm glad you're doing something with yourself, instead of throwing your life away like your brother is."

"You need to send him to rehab or something, because he's seriously gotten out of hand," I told him.

Dad considered this, and answered, "Anything to get him sober."

We talked for a little while longer, then Dad wanted to 'speak with Billie alone,' which means give him the talk..

That 'I'll murder you if you touch/hurt my daughter' overprotective-Dad talk.

So, I went out and had a chat with Rachel.

"Who's that guy you came in with? He's really cute," she asked in a giddy tone, making me flush.

"That's my boyfriend, Billie Joe."

"Ooh! So what does he do for a living now that you guys are out of school?"

"He and his band have a record deal, and I work at Amoeba. How's life here?"

"It's going fine. Same old, same old, ya know?" I nodded.

"Its like, I do the same thing day after day.. I'm too young!" She laughed. Rae's only twenty two now. She's interning here, and going to UC Berkley.

"You should hang out with me. We could hit the mall or stroll Telegraph.." I wrote down my number on her pad of paper as Billie came out.

"Gotta run," I told Rachel, seeing the look on his face.

"Bye, I'll call you soon." I smiled, and pulled Billie into the elevator.

"What'd he say?"

"I think your dad has connections to the mob," was all he could say.

"Uh.. yeah. About that. Remember my uncle Louis, and how we all called him Uncle Louie?"

He nodded.

"He worked for a head of a family, but the guy was taken out? And Louie was next in line, so he's the new boss."

"He said if I ever did anything to hurt you, he and his buddies would make sure I'd never reproduce."

"Well, you'd better not let that happen, huh?" I smiled, giving him a lingering kiss, rubbing my hands up and down his sides teasingly.