Sequel: Pieces of Truth
Status: Completed! (Updated for layout, format, and grammar on Sept. 17, 2012)

Paper Lanterns

That Had You On My Mind

I took my time walking to Tightwad hill, though Chuck had other ideas. Once he saw Billie, all hell broke loose. He took off, I dropped the leash in fear of being dragged, and he jumped up at Billie, licking his face.

"Sorry," I murmured, grabbing the leash, calming Chuck down.

"So, why did I walk all the way up here?"

Truth be told, it wasn't that far of a walk. You could walk almost anywhere, and if you were lazy, you just took the Muni train or a bus. And if you wanted to get across the bay to San Francisco, the BART was your best friend

"I just wanted to hang before practice. I called that Tre guy earlier and we're gonna try him out."

"Well that sounds good," I half smiled.

"But I can't be gone for too long, 'cause Jeff needs a ride to baseball."

Billie's smile faltered, "Oh, when's that?"

"Uh.. Three? Yeah.." It was just around two o'clock now.

"How about we just start walking around that direction, and catch up. It's been what, five years?" He suggested.

I knew. I knew exactly. It'd been five years, three months, and eight days, but I didn't respond.

We walked down Telegraph Avenue, talking about any random thing, or what had been going on in our lives, and Billie asked, "So, do you have a boyfriend?"

"Why do you care? Not like I'm taking applications," I shot.

"Not like I'm filling one out. Just curious."

"No, I don't. Do you?"

"Have a boyfriend, no. But I'm bisexual, so I could just as well. I do have a girlfriend, and I need to break things off with her."

"Okay, one, you're an idiot. Two, it's cool that you explore your sexuality. Three, why are you just gonna dump her?"

"Ah. Now who's curious?"

I turned a light pink.

"I love it when you blush, and you're welcome. She just.. Doesn't support me or the band. She thinks we're delirious and that we wont make it. A lot like John.."

"Is she deaf?" I grumbled, and Billie simply laughed, "I'd like to think so."

We stopped in front of my house.

"Well, if she doesn't respect your dreams, then she doesn't respect you. I'll see you around." I went inside, let Chuck off the leash, and put it away.

"Jeffy!" I called, but no reply.

"Jeff?" I checked upstairs. Nope. In the kitchen, I saw a note.

Grace, caught ride with the guys. be back later.

I sighed in relief, and flopped on the couch. Something had to be on TV. I spent twenty minutes flipping channels. Of course, nothing was on. Really, I mean nothing.

Not even fucking Jeopardy or the Price is Right. So, I walked down to Amoeba Music on Telegraph.
There were a few cassettes I wanted, and a few vinyls, because dad has a pretty nice record player, and the covers are neat.

I walked in, and who do I see?

Mike, and he was talking with Tre.

"Hey Grace, this is Tre Cool. Tre, this is Grace," Mike introduced.

"I know," I groaned.

"You were the hot chick with Jeff who gives those drum classes! How'd he bag a babe like you?"

"Gross. He's my brother!!" I shouted.

Billie's head popped up from behind a shelf of cassettes, "Tre, what the fuck are you doing? Please say you aren't trying to pick up another girl.."

"What?" my voice raised shakily as I moved towards Mike, and away from the wild eyed Tre.

"It's okay, don't worry. Just give him a cookie or something," he told me.

"Cookie? Where?! Tell me, dammit!!"

"Next door in the cafe," Mike pointed, and Tre was off.

"I probably should have warned you he was weird." I shook my head.

"He said we'd be better off if you were our drummer!" Mike and Billie laughed.

"Oh did he?" I felt my cheeks tinge light pink.

"He wasn't joking, was he?"

"Nope. I give drum and guitar lessons."

Mike looked to Billie, "Dude, you never told me that!"

"Dude," he mocked, "I didn't know!" Billie replied as he came over to us.

"Yeah, but I think Tre needs this more than I do. I'll find another band."

"Hey, you played piano right?" Billie was getting that excited gleam in his eyes, which meant he had a plan.

"Yes..?"

"Well you could play the keyboard, backup for Tre or guitar, and write or sing even!" By now he was totally into it, and I felt so bad.

"I don't know.. I'd have to think about this. I don't even know if we're gonna be friends, Billie Joe." His excited grin disappeared.

"Fine. Name your price."

"Excuse me?"

Mike looked just as shocked as I did.

"I want our friendship back. Mike, can I have a few with Grace?" Mike nodded, and went outside to find Tre.

"If you wanted it that bad, you'd have tried five years ago." I told him.

"But it took me the whole time we weren't friends to realize that I miss you."

"What?"

He stared directly into my eyes, and repeated himself, "I miss you."

I glanced away quickly, focusing on my feet.

"People don't tease and harass the person they miss. Or leave them when they need you the most. Or put that person in an awkward, frightening situation just to talk to them. I tried to be civil, even kind to you, Billie Joe. But.. I think.. I think I've just outgrown you."

With that said, I calmly walked to the cassette section, found what I wanted, paid, and left. I went home, the whole time replaying the scene over and over, wondering if it was true.

Monday came, and I was seriously thinking about ditching. It was just one of those days. Upon opening my locker, I was greeted by a small envelope falling to my feet. I looked around, then snatched it up. My name was on the front, so I opened it with ten minutes till class started.

Grace, I love it when you have no idea whats going on around you, even though its pretty obvious. xxx

I didn't recognize the handwriting, but I felt myself blush. Who would do this? Why? Nobody could really like me like that.. I went through my first four classes; Physics, Calculus, History AP, and English, taking notice to Billie's absence in English.

But I couldn't get my mind off the note. I went back to my locker to grab my lunch, and another white envelope fell out. It read:

Grace, I love it when you laugh and smile. You should do it more often. xxx

Same handwriting. I was going to find out who this is, even if it was the last thing I do.