Sequel: Pieces of Truth
Status: Completed! (Updated for layout, format, and grammar on Sept. 17, 2012)

Paper Lanterns

Those Days Are Gone and Now It Seems

I heaved a sigh, and sat in the grass outside for lunch. It was nice out, for April. As I ate, I began to people watch. The preps, the jocks, the nerds and the druggies.

It seemed that everyone fit into some group. Everybody but me. I had a few close friends, but not as close as I was with him.

Like, Kristen. I've known that girl since tenth grade, but now she always ditched me to hang out with her boyfriend Sam, much like today.

Lunch was over, and I ran to my locker, grabbed my needed books, then rushed off to art.

I sat near the middle of the class, with a girl named Sarah.

She had light red hair, a pale complexion with a few scattered freckles, and dark blue eyes. She was probably three or four inches taller than me, and pretty nice. I zoned out, and just drew the whole period, then went off to Latin.

Glaring at the clock, I threatened it under my breath, and finally, it hit 2:45, and classes were over. I had the pleasure of walking home again today, so I wasn't in a hurry to get to the lockers.

Another note was waiting for me as I piled a few things into my backpack. I opened the envelope during my walk, and read:

Grace, I love how you defy the norm. How different you are, and how you don't give a damn. You say what you feel, and its the truth. xxx

During the course of my journey home, I made a quick stop at Rod's Hickory Pit. Actually, it was pretty far out of the way, but I had a few reasons for my visit.

Many kids my age worked there, including Mike and Billie, as I had heard. I knew for a fact that Sarah from art class was there, so I sat at the counter.

"Hey Sare," I greeted her warmly.

"Hey there Grace, long time no see." we both laughed, and I heard,

"Sarah, not on the clock!" from a firm, motherly voice I couldn't help but recognize.

"Sorry Ollie," Sarah laughed, and got me a Coke, and an order of french fries.

"Hi Mrs. Armstrong," I smiled politely as she looked me over while wiping up the counter.

"Elanore?" she seemed surprised, and froze.

"Ollie, everyone calls me Grace, remember?" I pleaded with her.

"Oh yes! Right then, Grace. So, how've you been?" She smiled kindly. There was the Ollie I knew and loved.

"I've been okay. You're son's been annoying the living.. daylight out of me."

"Really now? He hasn't been as mopey and angry lately. At least when I see him. It's almost like he's a
happy kid," she smiled but then lowered her voice, "how have things been at home?"

"Same old, same old. Jeff's at baseball four times a week, then a game every Saturday, and Dad doesn't get home till way late, and he's out the door the next morning."

"I'm so sorry, hun. You know, if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm usually right here. But if you can't find me, then you should talk to Billie Joe. He knows what it's like.."

"I'm not sure he does," I cut her off.

"How do you mean?"

"Well, not to be a total dramatic or anything, but here goes. He had a friend through it all, then.. after my mom, I didn't have one. He had me, but I didn't have him to go to for comfort."

Oh shit. Not again.

"I can't believe him. That boy is in for it."

"That's not all."

"Oh?"

"Now, he's always around, like everything is and has been hunky-dory. Does your son have mental disabilities? I already told him that I don't want to forgive him, and won't that easily."

Ollie shook her head, "Well, I'll have a little talk with him. See if I can get some answers. Come in and we'll talk whenever you feel like it, okay?"

"Sure, Ollie. And thanks so much."

"No worries honey, I'm always here."

I ate in silence, paid, and walked home. Being Monday, Jeff was home, and he had made macaroni and cheese before going up to his room for some reason.

I quickly did homework, then drove over to some kid's house to give some drum lessons.

The kid, uh.. Steven? Knew what he was doing, and it pretty much came naturally. Either that or he learned fast, so it didn't take long to give him new material.

I drove back home ate a bit of the mac and cheese, then went up to my room and wrote. Bits and pieces of lyrics had been forming, and all I had to do was put it together. Then of course, I had to find a sound that would emphasize it.

I knew for a fact that Billie was a musical genius, but I doubt he'd even want to speak to me after what I had said.

So there I sat, for two hours trying to come up with something decent.

The week had gone by quickly, and I had noticed two things; one, I kept receiving little notes in my locker, the latest one asked me to be at Gilman's tomorrow, and two, Billie wasn't in English, or anywhere else for that matter.

Jeff, being the brother that he is, was glad that Billie wasn't around.

It was a bit lonely, because I didn't have many classes with Sarah, and Kristen was always gone with Sam. So I basically hung around with kids I sort of knew, but wasn't the greatest friends with.

I felt guilty for everything I had said to Billie, and didn't mean any of it. But I couldn't just take it back.
We aren't little kids anymore. But I sure could apologize.. Right?

I dialed the number to Billie's, and was greeted with a deep, gruff, "Hello?"

"Um, hi. Is Billie home?" I stuttered.

Ollie's new husband, Brad, was neither Billie's nor my favourite person.

"Yeah.." he grumbled at me.

"Well, can I speak to him, please?"

"Hold on."

Then, I heard a loud, "Billie, you good for nothing punk-ass kid, get the hell in here. You got a call."

I cringed, knowing Billie wouldn't be too happy.

I heard Billie mutter, "The fuck? I told Tre to just come over.."

I knew Brad was definitely out of the room by now.

"What now Tre? I'm kinda busy getting ready for tomorrow and shit.."

"Um.. Billie Joe, it's Grace," I squeaked out finally.

"Oh. What do you want? I thought you've outgrown me."

I could tell he was glaring at the wall or the closest thing to him. I shifted nervously, feeling like we were having a physical conversation.

"I kindof needed to talk to you.. Could you come over?"

There was a long pause, then a sigh, followed by, "Fine. I'll be there in a few."

Then he just hung up. I put the phone back, and before I knew it, the doorbell rang. I let Billie in, and we sat across from each other at the kitchen table. There really was no going back now.

"Before I spill, I'd like to ask that you save your comments until after I get everything out. Please?"

He crossed his arms over his chest, thinking. "Fair enough."