Sequel: Pieces of Truth
Status: Completed! (Updated for layout, format, and grammar on Sept. 17, 2012)

Paper Lanterns

So When are All My Troubles Going to End?

[Billie Joe]

Tre, Mike and I entered the apartment a bit past three, laughing at how stupid Tre was being when he had walked into his screen door. As soon as I saw Grace's sleeping figure on the couch, I stopped and told the guys to shut up. We went into the kitchen, and sat at the small table.

"So dude, what'd she say when you asked her to Gilman's?" Tre asked excitedly.

"She said she 'sort of had other plans,' and who says dude?" I laughed, trying to cheer up.

"Man, I'm sorry. Who knows, maybe she'll change her mind," Mike assured me with a smile.

"I didn't even tell her where we're playing. But I have to focus on this gig. I can't let a rejection bring me down further than I've already been."

"Good for you," Mike gave me a brotherly pat on the back, "There'll be other opportunities, you know."

"I hope so," I sighed, and went into my room to think up some new music or something..

[Grace]

I was jerked suddenly out of my nice, peaceful sleep, when I felt something heavy on my back. Immediately, I shrieked in pain, tears blurring my vision. Yeah. I'm pretty damn sore and bruised.

"Get off, please, get off!" I cried, and I heard, "Tre, I think you should listen to her."

Then the weight disappeared, as suddenly as it had come. I sat up, rubbing my eyes.

"Thanks Mike," I gave him a soft smile, then turned to Tre, "And you, Mr. Tub-o-Lard the Third, are going to be dead meat. You wont know when or where, but you'll be in a world of hurt."

Tre cowered behind Mike, shooting me a sad, apologetic look.

"I'm really sorry," he tried.

"Sorry doesn't help," I shook my head.

"What's with all the fucking noise out here?" Billie suddenly appeared from his room, looking very frustrated and tired.

"Uhh.. Sorry Bill," Tre apologized, not wanting to further annoy him.

"Tre just sat on me and woke me up.. It's all good," I explained.

Billie slapped Tre upside the head following my comment.

"Um, Billie?" I asked.

"Yeah?"

"I think it's time I got home.. My dad's probably freaking out.." I really didn't want to leave, but I had to meet my mystery person.

"Bye Mike, bye Lard-Man," I glared at Tre, then smiled and waved at Mike as Billie and I left.

Halfway to my house, I broke the silence, "I'm really sorry I can't make it to your
show tonight. I feel awful."

"It's fine, as long as you promise to come to the next two."

"I promise," I mumbled, looking out the window, spotting my dad's car in the driveway.

"Thanks again BJ," I got out, and he waited until I got inside to drive off.

I went up to my room quietly, but Dad was sitting on my bed, waiting to lecture me.

"Hey Dad," I smiled, but his serious stare didn't falter.

"You were out all night," he began.

"I know, I fell asleep at.."

"Your brother said you took a nasty fall down the stairs, then went out half an hour later?"

"Yeah, I.."

"Why didn't you call or leave a note or something like you usually do?"

"Will you let me speak?!" I nearly shouted.

"God, I went to Kristen's, and accidentally fell asleep. Sorry the movie she picked out was boring and the only way to escape was sleep. Now, if you'd excuse me, I'd like to shower and change," I sent him my pout, and he gave in.

On his way out of the room, he hugged me tightly, shaking his head, muttering, "Teenagers.."

Seven o'clock rolled around, and I was ready for Gilman's.

I didn't really dress up- I had on an Operation Ivy shirt and a pair of those new jeans called 'hiphuggers'. They were a new fad, and didn't go up to your bellybutton, which was nice. I had my black hightop Chucks, my wallet, and I'd done my makeup accordingly.

I arrived at 924 Gilman Street at exactly 7:15, and entered. The building was moderately full, but I just waited and looked around, hoping I wasn't being stood up.

Ten minutes passed by slowly; the band playing was awful, and I looked like an idiot, until someone was pushed into me.

"Ow, fuck!" I grumbled, as he person helped me off the floor.

"Oh, I'm so sorry! Grace? Grace Steffens, from Mar's history class?" I was now on my feet, facing an attractive, dirty blond, bright blue eyed boy.

"Hey Drew," I smiled.

Drew Sanders was a fellow senior at Pinole Valley High. I was in a class or two with him, but we hung out with different crowds.

He was the pitcher of the school baseball team, but was very artistic and hung out with those kids too.

"Do you want to get outta here?" he asked me, then I heard, "Hey everybody!!! I'm Billie, and we're Green Day!"

Someone shouted, "Who the fuck is Green Day?"

I stared at the stage, and saw Billie's look of annoyance and anger, "Formerly known as the band 'Sweet Children' Now shut the hell up and enjoy."

I turned back to Drew, "Nah, I heard this band is awesome."

I had a good time with Drew, which was actually surprising. At the end of the night, before leaving the club, he asked for my number, and if we could go out sometime, so I said yeah. I stayed around a bit after Drew left, sitting at a small table.

"Hey, I thought Billie said you weren't coming?" Mike stated more than asked, coming from somewhere.

"Oh, uh, my other plans led me here."

"Was that Drew Sanders I saw you with?" I felt my cheeks grow warm, as I nodded.

"He's a cool guy."

"Great, now that I have your seal of approval, I need to go. My dad's already pissed that I wasn't home last night. Tell Tre he's in for it, and Billie Joe that I look forward to the next two gigs." With that, I left Gilman's and drove home.