Into the Ocean

01

I laid half in the water, half on a slimy rock. The water stretching as far as I could see, as it changed color with the light and the sky, from green to blue to gray. The ripples and waves continuously flowing towards me crashing into the rock then swiftly sliding back.

Seagulls circle and cry in the sky. The water rushed against my tail, as I jumped from my rock into the depths of the cold water. A school of clown fish swim by, their fins flicking the water around them to swim faster as I invaded their territory.

The cool crisp water flowed over my body, I closed my eyes and let the current swallow me. I relaxed my muscles as the current became stronger. Behind my closed eyes, I could see the waves crashing down on me, the impact suffocating me, cutting off all air I could ever want.

My eyes slowly opened as another wave came down on me, sending me towards the ocean shore. I rested my head against the soft crunchy sand, my hair becoming tangled with seaweed that lay beside me. I had to make sure I was still in the blue sparkling refreshing water.

“Blue Bear, come on were going to be late!” I heard a distant voice from far away. I tilted my head towards the voice to see a couple of boys standing more or less of 100 yards.

One of them had bleach white hair, the sun caught a piece of metal on his face, it glistened in the light and sparkled. He had a small smile on his face as he jumped around in the sand. The other boy caught my attention though, his dark brown hair swept across his face as the boys jumped around together, he too held a small smile on his angelic face. They both wore black trunks, with a white shirt, the only difference was the boy with bleach white hair had a small bracelet around his wrist, it looked like a hospital bracelet.

I looked back at the water as waves came toward me, eventually break into foam, creep up to my body, and slide back. A light mist splashes my face as I close my eyes and let the tide draw my body back into the water.

I found myself once again by my favorite rock. It was curved perfectly to lay against and just watch the sunrise and sunset. I knew the rules of my kind though, see a ship; hide. See a person; stay away. Get caught; kill, leave no survivors. Fall in-love with a mortal; forbidden, death penalty.

I sighed and looked up at the sun; it was beautiful how it settled. The purple, orange, yellow, indigo, and light pink all mixed together as I hummed a lullaby.

My thoughts kept creeping back to that young boy, who was he? I hadn’t seen either of them near my water. Were they new to this are? Or were they just visiting?

I hadn’t seen much of him, but from what I saw, he was beautiful. He reminded me of the prince that saved my mother from being damned to the water, he reminded me of my father. A smile sprung to my face, maybe he was my prince to save me. My smile instantly vanished as I scolded myself. I shook my head and pressed my cold cheek to the warm surface of the hard rock. A sizzling sound filled my ear as I winced. The warm surface had burnt my cheek.

I let out a sigh and slid down the rock, softly landing in the water. I flicked my tail once, twice, three times and swam towards the bottom of the ocean.

As I swam I sang. I sang my lullaby my mother had sung to me as I a little baby.

“Wisp less words, flow through her lips with a slither
The inking darkness, coming hither
Grievance sighs, the darkness slides

“Covering the light of day
The moon is here to stay
The stars are watching her enchanting macramé
Of hair that is still of black and of silk
Illuminating in the light
A white halo is in sight
Upon the crown of her head
She sleeps like she is forever dead

“The Black Silk Haired Mermaid
Sees the knight at her front, kneeled
Kissing her hand, Singing a song
That no matter what she is
Or does what is wrong
To walk to lands
And not weep in the waters
He will always be there
To tell her, he loves her,”

As I sang my song, dolphins, guppies, sharks, many fish surrounded and swam along with me humming along as I sang. I gripped the large fin as a dolphin swam under me, pulling me along with it as it jumped out of the water.

Everything went by slowly as a clock ticking by for someone waiting for something exciting. My long black hair swayed behind me in the wind. Water dripping off of my body. As soon as it happened it stopped, we dropped back into the ocean, letting the water engulf us again.

I quickly let go of the fin and swam a different way, losing all traces of other fish. I sighed and let the ocean floor swallow me as I laid my body down. I was damned to this stupid Ocean, forever and eternity until I found love.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment.