Into the Ocean

03

I laid on my slimy rock watching the sun set as I gently sang a beautiful song. My voice echoed all around me, waves crashed against my dark blue, scaly tail. The suns rays caressed my scales, light bouncing all around me. My head tipped back letting my dark wet hair fall down my back. Thoughts of Jack bounced all around my mind. His name like a ghost on my lips, haunting, taunting me. I had watched him come back day after day to the spot where I had told him my new name. His friend would always tag along with him, an orange and white band strapped to his pasty white wrist. I would always wonder what it meant, but didn't dare go back to the human land and find out for myself.

A soft cry broke me from my thoughts, I turned on my side to look back to the shore. I saw the waves crash against the sand, people walking along the foam with loved ones. One boy caught my attention like he had many times before. His head cradled in his hands that were resting against his tanned knees. Soft cries left his mouth as he struggled to keep his sobs in. My heart ached as I saw him lift his head up as a strangled scream bubbled out of his mouth as hot tears scrolled down his cheeks at a fast rate.

My fingers dug into the soft rock I laid against, my stomach clenching with pain and tears forming in my sea foam green eyes. I jumped into the water, the coldness swallowing my body. I swam as fast as I could, tail moving as like a bullet out of water. Fish, coral, seaweed, other mermaids, lobster, crabs, I passed it all. I didn't pay attention to anything but the my destination, land. I reached it after a few seconds, my hands wrapped around the sand as I pushed my body up onto land and grabbed the golden pieces of fabric I had found a couple nights floating around the water. I pulled on the top and tied it around my body, then pulled the skimpy bottom on. Pushing my hair out of my face I walked out from behind the rocks people gazing at me with aw as I passed them by. I searched for Jacks face in the crowd of people by where he was sitting earlier.

When I saw his face up close it made me stop in my tracks. Tears were rolling down his face, his once vibrant green a now dull shade of grass.

"Jack!"

His head snapped up toward his right, his eyes no doubt searching for someone staring at him. He then turned, his eyes catching mine as my feet carried me towards him. He stood shakily, his arms opening as I jumped into his arms wrapping my feet around his midsection, my arms around his neck and pressed my face into my own arms.

His voice was shaky, like I had expected, as he said my name, "Alice."

"Hi," my voice quivered, "why are you crying?"

He hesitated before answering, "My friend died."

His hands gripped my thighs before gently pulling them down so I could stand on my own two feet. I let go of his neck and stepped slightly away from him, to give him space. He slid back down on the ground, his back laying against the sand, his arms sprawled around him. I sat down on the sand next to him my feet crossing over each other like I had seen many other people do here.

"How did he die?" I asked, my voice slightly above a whisper.

Green eyes caught my own sea foam ones, "Cancer."

His eyes left mine, his gaze returned to the clouds over head of us.

"Oh," that's all that left my mouth. I didn't know what to say, I didn't know what Cancer was. I'd never heard of it before. Mother used to tell me stories of the human land, of the race. But, she'd never told me of Cancer, she never told me of many things.

I looked back at Jack, his arms crossed behind his head, his fingers no doubt clutching his hair. His eyes were closed as tears were slowly still coming out of his eyelids. My gaze traveled lower towards his chest, he had on a white shirt, the neckline plunging deep like a V. On a silver chain laid a silver heart locket. It looked similar to something my mother had given me a long time ago. The pendant on his had a vintage design etched into it. I carefully plucked the necklace from his tan skin. I could feel his eyes open gaze at me as I opened it up.

The boys in the picture looked extremely happy. They both wore smiles on their gorgeous faces, Jack's green eyes pierced through the picture, and his friends hair shined through as well. Jack was on the back of his friend, his legs hanging loosely beside his friends waist. Two of his fingers were held high in the hair, his pointer and middle forming a V like shape. I didn't know what it meant, but I knew I shouldn't ask.

"What was your friends name?"

"Zacky," I nodded my head, letting him know I heard him.

"How old was we, and how old are you?"

He gave me a tiny smile, one with barely any feeling in it, "He was 21, and I'm 24. How old are you?"

My heart sped up, how old was I? I technically stopped aging at the age of 20, which was a few years ago, perhaps.

"I'm 23," I took a small pause, "my birthday is coming up soon."

He gazed back at me, his eyes still the dull color he had when I saw him today.

"It's been real nice talking to you again, but I think I need to get back home now. I have to make plans for the," he chocked his gaze shifting for a few seconds, "funeral, for the funeral."

He stood up and stuck his hand out in front of me. I slid my own hand in his, his fingers squeezing my own as he pulled me to my feet.

"See you again soon, Jack?" He nodded his head and turned away from me. His hands digging in his pockets.

I sighed a little and looked back towards the sea, I knew I shouldn't be here. Once he figured out that I was a mermaid he'd leave forever, just like everyone else.
♠ ♠ ♠
I put this story off for a really long time and I'm now just trying to get back in to writing. I'll be updating a lot more now than I ever was and I'm sorry for making everyone wait.

If you want to contact me in any way here are some links;

FORMSPRING.
FACEBOOK.
TUMBLR.