Status: Finished.

Play Dead

Two

---- Meagan's POV---

There's something about you now
I can't quite figure out
Everything she does is beautiful
Everything she does is right


As the lyrics played in my brain, I walked into the kitchen where the wine was sitting on the counter and looked up to see Matt standing there alone, searching the sea of people who came to grieve from the loss, but I’m sure he still felt incredibly alone. In a way I felt it too, because of everything between the two of us.

I had felt that way ever since I watched him walk out of my life. I walked next to him picking up the wine bottle and popping the cork off the top. I poured it into the glass and sighed, glancing at him for a few seconds. I poured some wine in my glass as I noticed his eyes on me I glanced back biting my lip before walking away.

I didn’t know if I should say something to him or not, so I opted to stay quiet. I felt a sudden chill as I walked toward the living room where the rest of the crowd was and I sat down where I was sitting before next to Zack. He smiled and pulled me in for another hug. “I see you found more to drink.”

“Yeah, but it’s still not enough.” I sighed.

“Well this should be over soon and I’ll take you out to a bar, how does that sound?” He grinned.

“Sounds good Zack.” I let a small smile form on my face for the first time today. I had the sudden urge to use the restroom and walked toward the bathroom slowly. I straightened out my dress and sighed when Michelle approached me embracing me.

“Hey honey.” She frowned releasing me.

“Hey Shell.” I didn’t feel like crying anymore.

I didn’t just lose a sister, I had lost every chance I ever had with Matt, and It was then that I realized it. I had hoped that maybe, just maybe if he saw me, he’d try to approach me or at least talk to me and the one time I was actually close to him he chose to ignore me. I ran my hands through my hair and stood there holding Michelle’s hand as she cried more. “I can’t believe she’s gone.” She cried leaning into me.

“I know Shell, it’s gonna be okay.” I soothed her rubbing her back. I felt another chill coming from behind me.

I shivered and looked around, feeling a pair of eyes on me I saw Matt in the same position as earlier. He was staring at me with longing in his eyes, the same look I had returned. “I have to go to the bathroom.” She mumbled and walked away. I bowed my head glancing at Brian who walked toward me embracing me.

“Have you gotten to talk to him yet Mae?” He asked quietly.

“No, he doesn’t want to hear what I have to say.” I shook my head.

“I have some information you might want to know.” He took my arm and yanked me away from the crowd into their small dining room where we could be alone. I looked behind me as Zack walked toward Matt giving him a hug.

--- Valery's POV---

The conversation Brian was having with Meagan peeked my interest greatly, but my curiosity only increased when I saw Leana and Jimmy walk in with a small child cradled in her arms. Leana wasn’t pregnant, and I knew she hadn’t had any children, what was going on.

I pushed open the door and eavesdropped on the conversation. “What is it Brian?” Her voice shook with fear, and I slipped my body through the door.

“We found him.” He replied.

“You found him!” She shrieked.

“We found you’re son.” Jimmy interjected as Leana entered the room with the small infant.

--- Meagan's POV---

I covered my mouth, and I couldn’t stop the tears as I saw my little boy. His second birthday just passed, and he was very grown up since I last held him in my arms. “He was still at the adoption agency.” She pursed her lips. “No one had adopted him, so I told the people that I was his mother.”

“You didn’t have to do this Lee.” I cried as she placed him in my arms. He giggled almost instantly, which brought a smile to my face.

“Yes, we did.” She nodded. “You need your son Meagan. You’ve been depressed ever since you gave him up.”

“Yeah.” I sighed looking down at him. He looked exactly like Matt, which only pained me more knowing he was in the next room. Leana walked forward and touched my face softly.

“He needs to know sweetie.” She nodded. “You need to tell him. He’d want to know.”

“I bet if Val were alive she’d fucking kill me.” I groaned.

“You were with Matt before she was.” Jimmy pointed out. “She’d find some way to understand.”

--- Valery's POV---

When I heard that sentence it was then that I realized what my unfinished business was. I was supposed to bring Meagan and Matt back together, I never knew what had happened, but I continued to listen in while checking to see if Zack was keeping Matt distracted.

“I love Matt.” She sighed. “I loved him enough then to let him go, you guys were just getting off your feet, Matt didn’t need the responsibility, and I was too young.”

“You did what you thought was best sweetie.” Jimmy placed his hands in her lap as she sat down.

“At the time, I wasn’t going to be able to make him happy, so I was glad he started dating Val, but seeing them together nearly killed me.” She sighed. “But I want him to be happy Jim.” I wiped my face.

“I’m gonna go check on Michelle.” Brian said before walking back into the kitchen.

“But did you ever think that maybe what’s best for the both of you is to be together?” He smiled a bit.

“I love him Jim, but he won’t talk to me, he won’t even look at me.” She sniffled as she held the bouncing baby in her arms. He looked exactly like Matt, it was obvious that this was his child. I felt wrong for keeping them apart, I felt like a horrible sister and a horrible wife.

It became clear what I needed to do: Matt needed to move on and so did my sister. They needed to be together, but I knew just as much as anyone else that knew him, he was incredibly stubborn. At this point we all needed to move on and he needed to be a father to his son. I just had to figure out how I was going to get them together.