Please Don't Leave Me

1/1

“Well if you’re going to be like that, then maybe you should just leave!” I shouted.

“Fine, just don’t expect me to come back this time! I’m tired of this shit, Anabelle.”

He stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind him. I flinched when I heard the front door slam shut. I collapsed on the bed, my head in my hands. This is the second time this week we’ve fought. We’ve been doing that a lot lately. He always came back, always. But this time I feared he wouldn’t. I don’t think I could stand losing him, even through all the fights, I still loved him.

I wiped my eyes, stood up and started picking up the room, I figured as long as he’s gone for now, I might as well pick up the house. Wouldn’t want Jasper coming back to a pig-sty.

As I was picking up our room, I came across and old photo album. It was full of photos of Jasper and I. The earliest photos of us being in high school. I say on the bed with the album in my lap, smiling at all the old memories returning as I looked at the photos.

”Come on, Anabelle, let’s go ride the Farris wheel,” Jasper said as he dragged me towards it.

“Jazz, you know how scared I am of heights.”

“Hey, I’ll hold your hand the whole time. I won’t let anything happen to you. Come on. Please?”

How could I say no when he was being so sweet? I nodded and he continued pulling me towards the Farris wheel. We came to the end of the line, I looked up, it was so big. My breaths came out shaky as I realized how high we’d be at the top.

I felt Jasper wrap his arms around my waist and rest his head on my shoulder.

“Hey, it’ll all be alright. I’ll be right next to you the whole time,” he whispered in my ear.

I turned my head and kissed him, he pulled away and smiled at me. He grabbed my hand and pulled me forwards. I sat as close as possible to him when we got on. Then as the ride started, I buried my face in his shoulder and held onto his hand tightly.

“Anabelle, look.”

I lifted my head from his shoulder slightly to see we were at the top. You could see the whole fair. Everyone looked like ants running around. And the sky, my god, the sun was setting, making the sky a mixture of yellows, oranges and pinks. It was beautiful.

“See? There was nothing to ever worry about,” he said.

“I guess you were right,” I laughed.

“Yup. Hey, Anabelle?”

“Yes, Jasper.”

“I love you.”

“As I love you.”

A grin broke out on his face as he pulled me into him. I felt him kiss my head and wrap his arms around me. Holding me as we both watched the sun sink below the tree tops.


I remembered that day like it was yesterday. The photo was of us standing in front of the Farris wheel, it behind us twinkling with its lights.

Looking at the picture, I realized how much it hurt for him to be away from me. I wanted him back. Pushing the album aside, I ran out the room to the phone. My fingers ran over the numbers, I knew them by heart. The ringing was nerve racking, I just wanted to hear his voice. And that I did, but it was just his voice-mail. I hung up and tried again. No luck.

I laid on the couch, I’ll try to call him again in a bit. I turned on the TV, hoping to help distract me some and relax me. At one point the pictures became fuzzy and the sound faded away, as I drifted off to sleep.

_______________________________________________________

There was loud knocking at my door. I rolled over and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I headed towards the door, opening it to be greeted by two police officers.

“Are you Mrs. Anabelle Fray?” one of them asked.

“Yes, how may I help you?”

“We need you to come with us.”

“May I ask why?”

“Your husband, Jasper, ma’am. He’s been in an accident.”

“An accident? Wh-what happened?”

“Just come with us ma’am. We’ll explain it all on the way to the hospital.”

_______________________________________________________

Upon arriving to the hospital, I had learned Jasper was hit by a car. They warned me he looked bad and he may not make it through the night. My heart broke when I heard this. He couldn’t die, I needed him. He was my world, my everything, he can’t just leave me.

They led me to his room, telling me to talk all the time I needed. I took deep breaths, preparing myself for the unknown horror I was about to face. As the door shut behind me all was silent except for the beeping of the machines and ragged breathing. I took one last breath and turned around.

The sight alone brought me to my knees. Tears leaking from my eyes, sobs escaping me. He lay there bloodied and broken, tubes sticking out from his arms, monitors hooked up to him. I couldn’t bring myself up from the floor. I knew what they meant when they said he may not make it. He looked more dead than alive right now.

With a great amount of effort, I brought myself to my feet. I hurried to a chair before my knees could give way again. I gently took his hand in my own and kissed it softly. As I looked back up at him, I noticed him watching me. His eyes barely open. I can’t imagine how hard it must have been for him to keep them that way.

“Anabelle.”

“I’m here, sweetheart, I’m here.”

I gently brushed the hair out of his face. He leaned into my hand, staring at me still.

“I. Love. You,” he wheezed.

“I love you too, Jasper.”

More tears flowed from my eyes. I couldn’t stand seeing him like this.

“Jasper. Oh, Jasper. Please don’t leave me. I’d do anything to keep you, please keep fighting. I’m sorry, so sorry. I need you here. What would I do without you? Please, please don’t leave me.”

I felt his hold on my hand loosen and his eyes drooping closed even more. His ragged breathing getting slower. As realization of the moment hit me, I cried even more. He was barely even there.

“No! No, Jasper! No, you can’t Fight! Please, fight!” I yelled.

Nurses came running in, as did the officers.

“Honey, it’s his time, just pl-” one of the nurses started, but I wouldn’t let her continue.

“No! No, you don’t know anything! Shut up, he can make it. I know it! Fight, Jasper! Don’t leave me!”

The officers came and pulled me from my chair. I tried to fight against them. Jaspers eyes were slowly closing. The heart monitor faltered, but kept going. Keep going!

“Don’t leave me! Please. Please don’t leave me! I love you.”

Fighting against the officers hold on me was useless. All I could do now was yell. People gathered outside the room, to see what all the noise was about.

“I love you, Anabelle. Never forget,” I heard him say.

“Don’t leave me!” I yelled as his eyes slipped close, dropping to my knees.

“Don’t leave me,” I whispered, as I heard that final beep of the heart monitor.
♠ ♠ ♠
For Jinxeh's One-Shot challenge.

Comments?