More Than Just A Mark On My Sheets

Zack Merrick-More Than Just A Mark On My Sheets(2)

Taylor’s POV:

Twelve months later…

I un-strapped my four month old baby boy, Jason, once I pulled into the parking lot where All Time Low was playing. Jason began crying, and I shushed him, wiping tears that fell from his sparkling blue eyes. It had been a long car ride from my apartment in California to Pennsylvania. I felt my neck to make sure the backstage pass was there, and did the same to Jason.
I tossed my layered, black hair over my shoulder and adjusted Jason on my hip, shutting the car door with foot and pressing the lock button on my car keys. My green eyes searched for the backstage entrance, and when I found it, I checked both mine and Jason’s necks to make sure the backstage passes were around them. I found it hard to believe I had to pay money to get a four-month-old boy a backstage pass.
I sighed and stayed in place for a moment, wondering if I should go through with this. I could just raise this kid on my own. No, I couldn’t. How would I support it? And plus, he had to know.
I began walking, my heels clicking on the blacktop. I could hear All Time Low’s music pounding out of the arena. Yes, I bought backstage passes and didn’t go to see the show. I had a different motive than most of the other girls who had spent months saving up money to get backstage at this show.
Once I got backstage, I had to push my way through multiple crowds of screaming girls. I rolled my eyes and looked around. All Time Low was still playing, and I could hear the bass pounding, and Alex’s voice gliding.
Somebody bumped into me, making me almost lose my balance and drop Jason, but the same person caught me. I looked up and saw a brown haired, brown-eyed boy.
“Sorry,” He apologized.
“It’s fine,” I reassured him.
“I’m John O’Callghan, lead singer of The Maine,” He introduced himself.
“I’m Taylor Anderson,” He smiled.
“Cute kid,” He mentioned, playing with Jason’s small, delicate hand.
“Thanks,”
“So, what brings you backstage?” He asked. I heard Alex saying goodnight to the crowd.
I hesitated. “I’ve gotta introduce a father to his kid,” I bit my lip to keep from crying.
His eyes widened. He looked from me, back to the stage. He seemed to be battling with himself on whether he should go do his show or stay and talk to me. “Crap, I’ve gotta go. I’ll probably be seeing more of you, so you can explain it to me later,” He looked at me apologetically.
I nodded. “You will be,” I said. I knew he would be. I couldn’t go back home, because I had sold my small apartment that I had to move into because I got kicked out of my house. So, the father of this kid was going to help me, whether he wanted to or not. “Good luck,” I said. He nodded and went out onto the stage, four other boys following him.
I was so busy talking to John that I hadn’t seen where All Time Low had went. Shit. I looked around for a security guard until I finally found one and tapped him on the shoulder. “Excuse me?” I said sweetly.
“Yeah?” He said, looking down at me.
“Could you tell me where Zack Merrick is? I need to talk to him,” I bounced Jason on my hip.
“I’m sorry, I can’t do that,” He informed me, shaking his almost bald head.
“Okay, look,” I said, my voice becoming sharp. “This is his kid,” I looked at my beautiful, fatherless boy. He wouldn’t be fatherless anymore if I had any say in it. “And I got kicked out of my house, and I’m only nineteen, and I have no job, and no way of supporting this kid,” Tears began forming in my eyes. “I had to drop out of high school ‘cause he got me pregnant, and then my parents kicked me out of the house once I gave birth, so please, please just tell me where Zack is,” I begged, tears flowing freely now.
“Oh, sweetie, I’m sorry,” The man’s expression softened. “That really sucks,” I nodded. “He’s in the dressing room,” He admitted. “Hey, wait!” I cocked my head to the side. “You’re the girl he mentions all the time,”
“He mentions me?” I asked.
The man nodded. “Um, Taylor, right?” I nodded in response. “Yup, I’ve heard your name every once and a while. Whenever he’s down about a girl he talks about some night with a girl named Taylor, like, a year and two months ago,”
“Thirteen months, actually,” I corrected him. Wow, he actually remembered. I figured he would be so drunk he would even forget my name. I guess not.
“I’m Barry. We’ll be seeing a lot of each other, because I’ll kill Zack if he doesn’t help you out with this, so you’ll probably be touring with us,” I shook his hand.
“Well, I’m Taylor Anderson, and this is Jason,” I introduced Jason and myself properly.
“I can see the Zack in him,” Barry commented.
I forced out a laugh. “He’s got a good set of lungs, too,” I mentioned. “Hey, do you know if Zack has a girlfriend?” I had to know.
“Nope. He broke up with her two days before the tour started,”
“Thanks,” He nodded. “I think I should go get this over with,” I sighed shakily.
“Good luck, I’ll see you later,” He clapped me on the back lightly. “Dressing room is over there,” He pointed to a closed door. I nodded and walked off.
I stopped dead in my tracks a foot away from the door. I could hear the sound of laughter coming out of the room. Should I do this? Or should I just leave now? No, I needed help. Adam wasn’t the father; Adam wouldn’t have helped me, anyway, even if it were his kid. I needed a place to stay, and Jason needed a dad. Zack was going to be the supplier of that, whether he liked it or not. He had to. It was his job.
Anger boiled up inside of me as I thought of the day when I got kicked out.

Flashback

“Where are all my clothes?” I asked, carrying my newborn down the stairs. I had just gotten back from the hospital. My parents were furious with me that I had gotten pregnant at eighteen. So furious, I had to get my friend Allison to pick me up from the hospital.
“Here,” My mother pointed to two large suitcases.
“Why?” I tapped my foot impatiently.
“’Cause you’re going to want them, aren’t you?” She asked. My dad stood next to her, silently.
“Yeah,” I said slowly. “So why aren’t they in my closet?”
“Because you’re not living here anymore,” My dad spoke.
“What?” My eyes widened in disbelief.
My mom handed me a piece of paper. It was all of the money out of my bank account. “This should be enough for an apartment,” My mom muttered.
“You’re kicking me out?” I asked, astonished. I knew they were mad, but I had no idea they would stoop this low.
“You’re a disgrace to us. To the whole family,” My mom said bitterly.
My jaw dropped. “I thought you were my parents,”
“We are,” They both said in unison.
“No, you’re not. Parents care about their children, and forgive them, no matter what they do. I hope they arrest you when somebody rapes me,” My voice was filled with acid. “Oh, and dad? On mom’s fortieth birthday, when you were at work, she went to a strip club,”
And I left, suitcases and child in hand, leaving my so-called “parents” behind, who were now fighting. Through my tears, I chuckled. I promised my mom I would never tell my dad that. Oh well, she deserves it…

End Flashback

“Zack fucking Merrick!” I screamed, flinging the door open, tears clouding my vision and the anger made it hard to keep control.
All four boys looked up, frightened at first, then Alex, Jack and Rian’s expressions turned to confusion, and Zack’s turned into shock. His eyes looked from me, to Jason, and back to me.
Zack still looked the same, his black hair just a little shorter. He had gotten taller, but his blue eyes could still mesmerize anybody. Jason had those eyes, too. This may or may not be surprising to you, but Jason can’t fall asleep unless I put Remembering Sunday on. It may be surprising to you that I can still listen to Zack’s band, but I listen to them everyday.
Jason froze in my arms when his eyes met Zack’s. Jason reached his tiny arm out, but Zack stayed as still as a statue in his place, making Jason cry again. All was silent except for his cries. This would be a long night.