More Than Just A Mark On My Sheets

Zack Merrick-More Than Just A Mark On My Sheets(4)

Zack’s POV:

“Jason Anderson!” Taylor scolded Jason -pulling her now bitten finger out of his mouth- smiling slightly. Taylor and I were all alone on the bus, except for Jason, of course.
“Anderson?” She nodded.
“My last name,”
“Oh,” She cradled Jason in her arms. Jack, Rian and Alex had gone out for drinks, and I stayed behind with Taylor. “Can you hand me that bottle over there?” She pointed at a small bottle filled with formula on the marble counter of the bus we had to stay in for the next two weeks of this tour.
I nodded and grabbed the bottle off of the counter handing it to her. Our hands brushed against each other when she took it out of my hand. I went back to the couch across from her and sat down, watching as she fed Jason.
I still hadn’t held him. In fact, I was still trying to register the fact he was mine. I couldn’t believe I was a father. And to tell you the truth, it scared me shitless.
I looked at Taylor, now. She still looked the same, except her chest had grown, and she had gotten taller, but only by an inch or two; she was still about five foot. He hair was still cropped the way it was the one night twelve months ago, but at the front it had a hint of auburn.
Her eyes were to die for. They were a deep green. You could see her whole personality through those eyes. Once you looked into them, you were hooked; hypnotized, almost.
I didn’t realize I was staring at her until she waved her hand in front of my face. “Zack?”
“Huh? Yeah, sorry,” I said, looking down, embarrassed.
“What were you looking at?” She asked, smiling.
“Nothing,” I mumbled.
She scoffed and giggled. “Sure.” She stood up carefully, laying the empty bottle on Jason’s small body-not having a free hand- and put the bottle in the sink. She came over and sat back down on the couch. “You sure you don’t want to hold him?”
I shook my head. “I don’t want to kill your…our” I corrected myself, swallowing hard at the word. “Baby.”
She laughed. “You wont kill him,” I still shook my head. “Okay,” She yawned. She hadn’t slept for two days because she had to hold Jason while he slept, because we didn’t have a cradle. Jack went out and bought one before he went with Alex and Rian for drinks.
I felt bad, I really did, but there was nothing I could do. Call me a baby, but I was terrified of holding Jason and accidentally dropping him. It was one of my worst fears. Yeah, I know what you’re thinking: I’m pathetic. I know. But you never know, it could happen.
“Hold on,” I walked out of the bus, leaving her confused. Barry was sitting in a lawn chair in front of our bus, playing some game on his iPod. “Barry” I tapped his shoulder.
“Hey man, how’s your girlfriend?”
“What girlfriend?” He cocked his head to the side.
“You and Taylor aren’t going out yet?” I shook my head. I had been shaking y head no a lot these days.
“Nope,” I confirmed. “Anyways,” I started, wanting to get off the subject of dating. “Do you think you could hold Jason while you’re out here? Taylor’s really tired, and I’m still scared of like, dropping him and breaking his neck,”
He nodded and followed me back onto the bus. “Barry Bear!” Taylor squealed quietly, not wanting to wake up the now sleeping Jason. Taylor had become good friends with our security guard in the matter of two days.
“Hey, Taylor,” He greeted, smiling. “I’m taking your son, requests from the father,” He said, carefully lifting Jason out of her arms. “Now sleep, we don’t want anything to happen to that pretty face, I’ll take care of Jason.” Barry demanded, making Taylor smile.
“Thanks, Barry,” She called to him as he shut the bus door, leaving Taylor and I alone. I stood awkwardly before her. “Zack?”
“Yeah?” She smiled. One thing I noticed about Taylor is she always smiled. And it wasn’t a fake one; it was a genuine, real smile.
“You can sit next to me, I don’t bite.” She patted a space next to her.
“Don’t you want to sleep?”
She shook her head. “Not yet. Now sit,” She took my hand and pulled me next to her. I chuckled and got comfortable.
“Do you mind if I ask you something?” I asked. She shook her head and waited for me to continue. “Well, are you positive this baby is mine?”
She nodded. “I got my boyfriend, well, ex-boyfriend, to get a blood test, and it was negative. So it has to be yours, because you’re the only person I’ve had sex with, besides Adam.”
“So, Adam is your ex?” I asked. She nodded again. “Did he break up with you when he found out it wasn’t his kid?”
She shook her head this time. “He broke up with me the day after I lost my virginity to him.”
“Why?” I asked curiously.
She sighed. “That’s all he ever wanted from me. I didn’t know that until the day he dumped me. That’s why I was at that bar that night, I was depressed about it, and I guess I drank a little too much.”
Well that sure didn’t make me feel better about this situation. “I’m sorry,” I said sincerely.
“It’s alright. The only thing that bothered me is that even if it were his, he wouldn’t have helped me. I had to practically beg him to get the blood test. So in a way, I’m kinda glad he’s yours.” She explained.
I nodded slowly. “So what happened with you and your parents?” She immediately bit down on her lip and her whole body became stiff. “You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.” I said quietly.
“It’s… it’s fine,” She said, her words suddenly shaky. She exhaled slowly and looked back at me, her green eyes locking with mine. “What happened was when I came home, they already had my bags packed. I had to have my friend pick me up from the hospital. They wouldn’t even take their own daughter and grandson home,” She mumbled.
“So when I got home, all my clothes were emptied out of my closet, I ran downstairs asking where my stuff was, they pointed to a couple bags, called me a disgrace to the family, gave me all the money out of my bank account, and told me to get out.” She finished up her story.
I had done all of that to her. If it weren’t for me, she wouldn’t have to be a nineteen-year-old mother living on a bus with people she doesn’t even know. It was my fault. I pretty much screwed her life up.
“Taylor, I-I’m sorry,” I stammered out.
“Hey, you don’t have to apologize, it’s my fault, too.” She pointed out. “I shouldn’t have been so drunk. And plus, this is probably putting a downer on your life, too,”
Oh, and that was just the icing on the misery cake for her. She thought I didn’t want her here. Shall we go over the list of shit I’ve now done to this girl? I got her pregnant, causing her to be a teenage mother. Because of that, she got kicked out of her house, and had to live alone. Now, she comes here for help, and she thinks that I don’t even want her here, probably making her feel worthless in the process. Did I miss anything?
“No it’s not.” I denied. Sure, I still wasn’t sure if I was ready to be a father, but its not like I wouldn’t get used to it. And I sure didn’t mind her staying with us.
“Zack, you don’t have to lie,” She smiled
“I’m not lying.” I reassured her. “I mean, yeah, I’m still a little shocked that I have a son,” I swallowed hard. “But that doesn’t mean that I wont get used to it.”
Before she could answer, Jack busted into the bus carrying a box with a picture of a cradle on it. “I have my new bed!” He joked, jumping up and down excitedly.
“I always knew you were a baby,” Alex commented.
“Shut up,” Jack said, setting the box on the floor.
“Thank you Jack!” Taylor squealed, jumping up from the couch and throwing her arms around Jack.
“No problem Taters.” Taylor smiled again. I swear, her smile could make a guy go crazy. Wait, what am I saying? I’m not dating her, I’m just helping out with our son. “Now, go sleep, you look tired.” Jack demanded.
“But it’s only one in the afternoon!” She whined.
“Go.” Alex pointed towards the bunk.
“Nope.” She stomped her foot on the ground.
“Zack, I think you should escort this lady to her bed.” Alex suggested.
“What a wonderful idea,” I chuckled, walking over to her and picking her up.
“Put me the fuck down!” She said when I picked her up bridal style.
“How do you think Jason feels?” I asked sarcastically. “People are picking him up every second of the day.
“But I’m not Jason, so put me down!”
“You’re sleeping. Now.” I said, dropping her lightly in my bunk, which we were forced to share. I’m sure this didn’t make Taylor very comfortable.
“Fine,” She finally gave in. “Wake me up in an hour.” She yawned, turning on her side.
“Alright.” I nodded, leaving her in the bunk to sleep.
There was a lesson learned out of all of this. That lesson was: Never have one-night stands.