The Silent Servant

The Silent Servant (chapter 2)

She rung the doorbell and stood back. The lord, expecting the visitor, was the one who answered the door. “Hello my dear. My name is Lord Caleb. So I hear you will be working as a house maid for us?” Penny gave him the piece of paper, and he unfolded it smoothly. “Ah, I see, enchanted are you?” The girl nodded. “Pity. But I suppose nothing can be done for it. We’ll pay you once a week, on Sundays. Would you like to see your quarters?” Penny nodded, and Lord Caleb led the way.
As they walked, Lord Caleb told her what everything was. She was particularly entranced by the library, which had more books then she had ever seen. When he told her she could use the library during her breaks, she was ecstatic.
She started working the next day, and during her break, she went to the library. She wanted to find out a way to cure this enchantment that had been laid upon her. She looked up stories and past references. In every story, the enchantment had been broken the same way; true love’s first kiss. In all the stories, the “true love” was a prince. She figured that if every other enchantment had been broken that way, her enchantment must be the same.
Her work brought her across the kitchens. There, she met a boy a little older then she that was working as a chef’s assistant. He immediately fell in love with her, but she had no use for him, for she was in search of a prince, not a cook. However, she did admit to herself that she needed a friend, so she allowed herself to become friends with the boy, nothing more. The boy, who went by the name of Ray, would do anything for Penny, but even after two years of working together, she still didn’t want more then a friendship. Ray was very handsome, polite, intelligent and patient. He was everything any girl would ever want.
Penny sat hopelessly on the couch in the library, awaiting a letter that was to be brought to her on her break. She had known about the letter since the early morning, for Lord Caleb had told her that he would give it to her in the library, and after she read it she could have the rest of the day off. His words and tone made it obvious to Penny that something was wrong, and the only thing she could think about was her mother.
Even though they hadn’t seen each other in two years, they had kept in contact. Penny still loved her mother very much, and didn’t want to lose her, for she held out hope that one day they would have all the money they needed and they would reunite as a family. Lord Caleb entered the library, gave Penny the letter, and left quickly.

Dear Penny,
By the time you read this it will be too late for me. I’ve left you all
my money (not much), but that’s all I could leave you with physically. I sold our house to give you the money from it, because you wouldn’t be able to live their anyway, for you’re 16 and without a husband. I know you still hold hope for your prince to come one day and save you, but things don’t happen that way Penny, I’m sorry. From the way you write about the cook’s assistant, Ray, I know you would be very good together. Don’t wait for your prince any more Penny; go to Ray, for he is the only one that will bring happiness in your life…and money. Always remember I will be right here whenever, if ever, you need me. Just look inside of yourself. We’ll be together one day…I love you Penny.
Love,
Your mother

Penny cried for a long time after that, and when Ray came to see her, she pushed him away. He left quietly, for he decided that she needed her space. Penny thought long and hard, and when she left the library, she wasn’t crying.
When Ray tried to comfort her, she accepted it graciously, but made no moves other then what a friend would make. She had decided she would find her prince, she didn’t want to be silent any more, and a true love’s first kiss was the only thing that could break the enchantment.