She's The One Thing I Couldn't Live Without

6/6

We all stood up from our assembly line bow, waving at the audience as they gave us a standing ovation. The thick red curtain began closing, and we moved away from it, standing on the stage.

“Becky! That was awesome, you did so great tonight!” Ruby said, running over to me and giving me an excited hug. I couldn’t stop grinning, and I hugged her back.

“You were fantastic too!” Compliments about the show, and performances were being tossed around loudly. I looked around for Joe, trying to find him so I could tell him that he did a good job.

“Aren’t you supposed to be with Joe right now?” Ruby asked me, and I remembered that he asked me to meet him outside.

“Oh, yeah! Thanks Ruby!” I said, running off towards the door.

“I expect full details at the cast party!” She called out after me, and I left the stage, walking backstage, and out a door that led to the outside of the auditorium. I looked around for Joe, and then I saw him sitting on a bench, an acoustic guitar in his lap. I lifted the dress I was wearing, and ran towards him.

“Hey, Joe, great job tonight.” I said, sitting down next to him. He smiled.

“Thanks Becky, you too.” I looked down, and patted the guitar.

“Any particular reason you brought this?” I asked. He nodded, getting a little more nervous.

“Uh, yeah, actually. I wanted to sing you something.” I became more interested, sitting up a little straighter, smoothing out my dress.

“Sure, Joe. Go ahead.” I told him, smiling warmly at him. Joe smiled back, picking up the guitar, and he started to play it. A few seconds later, he began singing.

There she goes again

The girl I'm in love with

It’s cool we’re just friends

We walk the halls at school

We know it’s casual

It’s cool we’re just…

I don’t want to lead you on

No

But the truth is I’ve grown fond

Yeah

Everyone knows it’s meant to be

Falling in love, just you and me

‘til the end of time

‘til I’m on her mind

It’ll happen

I’ve been making lots of plans

Like a picket fence and a rose garden

I just keep on dreaming

But it’s cool cause we’re just friends

Small talk on IM

Just one word sentences

It’s cool we’re just friends

If I had my way

We’d talk and talk all day

Yeah

Everyone knows it’s meant to be

Falling in love, just you and me

‘til the end of time

‘til I’m on her mind

It’ll happen

I’ve been making lots of plans

Like a picket fence and a rose garden

I just keep on dreaming

But it’s cool cause we’re just friends

Thinking about how

We’re gonna say our vows

It’s cool we’re just friends

She walks down the aisle

I see all my friends smile

Cause now we’re more than friends

Everyone knows it's meant to be

Falling in love, just you and me

‘til the end of time

‘til I'm on her mind

It'll happen

We've been making lots of plans

Like a picket fence and a rose garden

I'll just keep on dreaming

Just keep on thinking of when we used to be just friends


Joe finished playing, strumming the last few notes. He looked up at me, a hesitant smile on his face.

“What did you think?” He asked.

“Joe…that was beautiful! It was wonderful!” I said, honesty ringing in every word. I couldn’t help but feel jealous of the girl he wrote that for; she was one lucky chick.

“I wrote it for you.” Joe’s voice was so quiet, I almost thought I had imagined it.

“Wh-what?” I said, leaning closer so I could hear him. He looked straight into my eyes.

“Rebecca Elizabeth Marie Todd, I am in love with you.” He said, his voice unwavering. I felt a grin slowly spread across my face, and I reached over the guitar, wrapping my arms around his neck.

“Joseph Adam Jonas, I am in love with you.” I whispered into his ear, and I felt his arms wrap around me.

“Good.” Joe said, pulling away, looking me straight in the eyes, and then he kissed me.

You know all of that cliché stuff that they say happens when your true love kisses you? The fireworks, the sparks, the warm, loved feeling?

It’s all true.

I felt myself smiling into the kiss, and I could feel Joe smiling too. We pulled away at the same time, to hear applause from behind us. We turned around to see the entire cast behind us, clapping, cheering, whistling even. I turned bright red, and Joe laughed.

“It’s about time!” I heard Nick shout, and I giggled, shaking my head.

It was about time.
♠ ♠ ♠
tell me what you thought?