Status: On Hiatus

Mannequins: Heroes and Prodigies

Close Calls

When we reached the Great Hall he smilled at me before going and sitting with his classmates, and I took my place with my house. Through the meal I picked at my food. People talked around me, but no one talked to me. This was normal though, seeing as I liked to keep to myself as of late. I can be a bubbly person, but it's rare that it happens. Getting fed up with playing with my bowl of yogurt I pushed it away and stood from the bench. Walking out of the great hall I was sure that no one noticed me. I was short enough to possibly pass for a tall student sitting down, and I moved almost silently. How could anyone notice me?
I moved through the halls and found myself at the portrait of the Fat Lady. "Draught of Courage" I said with determination in my voice. The picture absentmindedly swung open and I stormed in. By this time everyone would be finishing their breakfast and heading to class. Everyone except me that is. I walked up the stairs to my dormitory and set to work on the mirror. I had to do this, I needed to know what he was doing. I was desperate to find out the cause of this madness.
The day passed on with little notice from me, I went down to lunch early and was back in my dorm before anyone noticed. I worked well into the night when an owl pecked at my window. With a flick of my wand the glass flung open and the owl perched itself on my shoulder. The light brown barn owl nudged my ear with his beak insisting that I open the letter. I knew that this was Scarletti's owl, so I decided to let it wait a while.
The feathered pet only got more persistent, dropping the letter and nipping my ear and hair. Fed up with it's antics I dropped what I was doing and grabbed the envelope. Tearing open the sealed lip I pulled the contents out violently.

Esie,

Where were you today? I didn't hardly see you at any of the meals, except when you stormed out of breakfast this morning. Has it anything to do with Dustin? He won't talk much to me either, or is it to do with the friends you made here? I hear that you got pretty chummy with Harry Potter and his friends. Do tell about that, I cant wait for all the juicy details. I suppose you're busy though, having been missing all day. Write back.

Scar


I put down the parchment with her loopy writing and sighed. Only she would be able to point out my obvious flaws and hit the nail on the head. Shaking my head I tried to go back to working on the mirror but Jacub (Scar's owl) kept trying to nip at my fingers. I glared at him and flicked him away getting annoyed with his insistent bothering. This wasn't enough for the stupid little feather duster though and he hopped back biting my finger hard enough to draw blood. "Stupid bloody bird." I cursed while sucking on my knuckle. Giving up, I grabbed some spare parchment and a quil.

Scarletti,

Your bloody bird is a royal pain in my arse. Get a new one. As for the questions, I've been working on a project all day, and it has nothing to do with Dustin or anyone else here. It was simply a moment of weakness that I befriended them, and I'm trying to sever the momentary ties I made with them. There are no juicy details and if you so need to speak with me again, please do not send the bloody bird! Yours truly,

Estika


I forcefully gave the little owl the letter and shooed it out the window. By now I was too frustrated to work on my project so I shoved it to the side and folded my arms across my desk. Laying my head in them I sighed aggravatedly and tried to calm myself. Looking into the night sky, the moon and starts shinning brightly I got an idea. Pyro floated over and landed on my head looking into my face upside down. turning around I performed a locking charm on the door and opened my window. Grasping his legs I said to him, "Come on Pyro, take me to the forest" and with that he flew carrying me like it was nothing. In a moment of carelessness I completely forgot that should someone be looking out a window and see a flaming bird and person soaring across the school grounds they may have some questions. He dropped me at the edge of the forest and went on to hunt for himself. I took a few steps into the trees cloak and felt my body melt down and my senses change. Not a moment later I was a lot shorter, standing on four legs and could feel my light red fur rustle in the cool evening wind. It had been long since I'd transformed into my animagus form of a fox.
Sniffing the ground I trotted lightly further into the forest, my tail lowly swinging with my strides and eyes analysing everything from my short stature. AS of yet I couldn't tell why they'd named it the Forbidden Forest, there was no forbodding danger in it that I could tell. That was until I ran into a giant acromantula though. Then my perspective changed a fair bit.
"Who is it?" it asked in a deep, bored voice.
I kept quiet, not out of fear of spiders but knowing that it would kill me without a second thought.
"I know you are a wizard, and I do not believe you are Hagrid." still I made no sound and did not move. "If you will not confirm this, then I will have to allow my children their meal. It is not often that one wanders onto us, and when one does I cannot deny them the satisfaction."
My eyes widened and I slowly backed up until a hoard of smalled acromantulas started swarming out of the cave. Then I started to run. As I ran for my life I barked as loud as I could hoping that Pyro would hear me. I'd have changed back into a human, but that would risk the chance of them catching me in the moment that I was vulnerable and I wouldn't be nearly as fast.
I ran for what felt like forever but was probably just a few seconds, ducking under branches and jumping over large stones when I felt claws dig into my back and the ground leave my feet. Looking up I saw Pyro carrying me into the sky, and looking back and down I saw a few of the furry, giant spiders trying to jump at us. For a fox I was reletively small, only a foot and a half off the ground; still the size of a kit. Sighing I waited getting back to my dorm so I could change back.
If you thought looking out the window and seeing a flaming bird taking a girl into the forest might have been a bad sight, I could only imagine what one might think seeing the same pheonix bringing back a small fox instead of the girl. This didn't cross my mind though until we were through my window and the creature had unceremoniously dropped me on the floor. As I hit the wood a small yelp came out of my throat. Once I got to my feet again I glared at Pyro in an unmenacing way and gave a little growl of displeasure.
Transforming back I put my hands on my hips and glared a little harder. "And you couldn't have dropped my on the bed, or somewhere else a little more gently?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Dedicated to the-heartless97