Sequel: Don't Forget

Maybe Memories

Hogwarts, First Year

If my thoughts remain happy, I will not give up hope. I am innocent. If I think about happiness. My first year at Hogwarts, that ought to do it....

Feeling slightly out of place, Sirius Black followed his cousins Andromeda, Bellatrix, and Narcissa down the King's Cross platform. Of course, Andromeda was just seeing if they got onto the train safely, she had been out of Hogwarts for a year. Both Bella and Narcissa had done this before, though Narcissa was only entering for the second time. Sirius hadn't. There was platform nine...platform ten, but no sign of nine and three-quarters. Bellatrix looked at Sirius and actually laughed, before she ran through the wall. This didn't make the usually confident and carefree boy feel any better.

"It's easy, Sirius," Andromeda reassured him, noticing the panic on his face, "all you have to do is walk, maybe at a fast pace, and don't be scared. I'll be right behind you."

Eleven-year-old Sirius Black pushed the cart in front of him, speeding up as he went, and really went through the wall. He was beyond excited, and admittedly relived. He smiled widely, looking around at the crowded platform where his soon-to-be classmates were talking among themselves and saying goodbye to their families.

Bellatrix and Narcissa were waiting with their arms crossed and the usual scowls painted on their face.

"Be nice and sit with him," Dromeda fussed at her younger sisters before pointing for them to go and board.

"We will," Bellatrix said and smiled sweetly.

Sirius followed his cousins onto the Hogwarts Express. Truth be told, he'd rather sit alone then go through a whole train ride with Bellatrix. Of course, they sat with their stupid friends, and Bellatrix screeched, "Go sit somewhere else!" Not that he minded. Sirius just rolled his eyes and made his way to the very back of the train. He sighed with relief and plopped down into his seat. Maybe he would be lucky enough to sit alone the whole way there.

And, of course not. A kind of skinny boy holding a book stood in the doorway, "Pardon me," he said quietly, "may I sit here?" Surely he had the same idea Sirius did, sit alone.

"I guess..." Sirius said and shrugged. There was something slightly intriguing about this boy. Something made Sirius want to get to know him better.

The boy smiled. "Thanks," he sat across from Sirius, "the other seats are mostly taken..."

"I'm Sirius Black."

"Oh," he said awkwardly, "I'm Remus Lupin."

"Is this your first year?" Sirius questioned.

"Yes."

"It's mine too."

The train ride wasn't so bad. A small girl had come and sat with them too. She was too nervous to talk. Though, she looked too pitiful not to at least introduce himself to. From that point on, Sirius Black and Estelle Grant talked until they reached Hogwarts. She was a muggle-born and had no clue about magic. Sirius actually found it quite fascinating. Lupin looked up from his book occasionally to join into the conversation. He was a half-blood.

The arrival to Hogwarts was brilliant. The first years followed a giant man up to the castle, who announced he was Rubeus Hagrid, the gamekeeper. Then a stern looking woman, Proffesor McGonagall, the transfiguration teacher and head of Gryffindor house, explained to them they were going to be sorted in front of the other students in the Great Hall.

Sirius knew he would be sorted into Slytherin, as much as he hoped he wouldn't be. His father was, his father's father, and his father's father's father, his mother, his uncle, his cousins who he had come to the platform with. It was inevitable. His entire family were in Slytherin.

His family would not be happy with him as it was, making friend with a muggle-born and a half-blood already. He himself found no harm in this, but they would turn their noses up. Maybe it would be best if he pleased them by being in Slytherin.

The ceremony began, and if it weren't for Erica Andrew, the Hufflepuff, and Aaron Bansley, the Ravenclaw, Sirius would have been called first.

He sat there on the stool hoping, just by a chance, he would be sorted into a different house. And, then the sorting hat was placed on his head (it was nothing like Bellatrix said it was, there was no painful shock or feeling of someone prying into your brain), then bellowed out, "Gryffindor!"

Feeling like he was on top of the world, Sirius marched to the Gryffindor table. A triumphant grin spread across his face as the Gryffindors congratulated him. From the table across the room, Bellatrix was sending him a death-glare, and Narcissa was looking slightly worried. Though, at this moment, Sirius could've cared less.

The ceremony continued, and both Estelle Grant and Remus Lupin were sorted into Gryffindor as well. So were Lily Evans, James Potter, and Peter Pettigrew.

--

Sirius Black and James Potter became inseparable after only a few weeks at school. Sirius began to feel more at home at Hogwarts than he ever did at his own home. He belonged in Gryffindor with James, Lupin, and Estelle. Even Lily Evans who seemed to hate him, and of course Peter Pettigrew, who seemed to be quite impressed with Sirius and James.

Bellatrix found their little posse quite amusing to tease. Narcissa would, of course, follow along giggling. Once at breakfast, Bellatrix passed the Gryffindor table and turned Estelle's rat into a goblet. Estelle cried, which made it that much more amusing to Bellatrix. Sirius went with Estelle to Professor McGonagall.

"How did this happen?" Professor McGonagall questioned eyeing Sirius. She was suspicious of him, considering the week before Sirius got a detention for charming one of Severus Snape's books not to open.

"I don't know who this girl was..." Estelle started.

"My cousin, Bellatrix Black, thought it would be funny to turn Estelle's poor rat into a goblet..." Sirius interjected, fuming.

Professor McGonagall fixed her right up, and Sean, the rat, was back to his normal state.

--

The following day, mail came at breakfast. Dozens, and dozens of owls swooped inside. To his surprise, one of the many family owls dropped a letter in front of him. Sirius opened it to find a letter from his mother:

Sirius Black,

Bellatrix has sent me an owl telling me about how you refused to sit with her on the train, like you were told. Though, that is not my concern. She also told me you were sorted into Gryffindor. That simply will not do. I suppose you cannot help that. You can still help the kinds of people you surround yourself with. James Potter is, yes, a pure-blood, thank goodness! But, your others you've been befriending are...not. I hope to hear that you've straightened this out soon.

Thank you so much for informing me with all this information yourself, by the way.

Bellatrix will be keeping a close eye on you. A pity this is nearly her last year.

Walburga Black


"Charming..." Sirius muttered crumpling the paper.

"What's that?" James questioned from across the table.

"My mother sent me a nice letter," Sirius said, "telling me about my wrong choices."

James straightened out the letter and read it. "How does she know?"

"Bellatrix has it out for me," Sirius rolled his eyes.

"You think it's because you were sorted into a different house then her?" Lupin questioned, "I mean she's family she can't be that bad..."

Sirius laughed, "You don't know Bella. Being in Gryffindor just simply added fuel to the fire."

Not to his surprise, Bellatrix skipped over to his table. "Why hello there, Sirius." She said in much to sweet of a voice. "Did you get a letter from your mum? I did. Aunt Burga told me to keep my eye on you."

"Yes, Bella," Sirius said. "I received a note from my mum telling me how proud she was of me, and she was so glad I made friends!"

"Hmm," Bella grinned, "I don't think she's so happy about the little mudblood, or the filthy half-blood." She looked at Estelle and Lupin. "You two might want to watch your backs."

"Bellatrix, piss off," Sirius said turning around.

She giggled and went on her way.

"Okay, not exactly charming..." Lupin said.

Estelle furrowed her eyebrows, "Mudblood?"

"That's a really nasty term for muggle-borns," Lupin said.

"And if anyone every calls you that again, hex them!" Sirius added.

Lupin rolled his eyes. "It's very rude, yes. Though I don't think hexing them is the solution."

"And why not?" Sirius questioned, "It will teach them you're just as good a wizard as any."

--

The weeks went on, and Sirius decided he definitely didn't care what his family thought. He and James had found their own Slytherin to pick on, Severus Snape, or Snivillus as Sirius liked to call him. This gave Lily Evans even more of a reason to hate the two of them, because Snape was a long time friend of hers. Though Sirius couldn't see why.

When Quidditch season came around, James would hardly leave the field. When they had taken a flying class, James loved it. He automatically became determined to try for a spot on the Quidditch team his second year. Sirius however, found the game amusing, wasn't so sure about flying around with boulders called blungers flying at you and trying to knock you off your broom.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like to think Bellatrix was always a bitch...

Anyway, that was a sort of prologue.