Sequel: Don't Forget

Maybe Memories

Rat, Deer, Cat, and Dog?

Sirius' mother sent him off to Diagon Alley so he could shop for his new school supplies the moment the list arrived. Although, he was pleased to be out of his house, he was sure he wasn't going to see any of his friends out today. He found himself spending extra time looking around.

None other than Estelle was found in front of The Magical Menagerie. He sighed heavily, and approached her. He was highly unaware of what her response was to the letter, or if she had even sent him one.

She turned around and threw her arms around him, "Sirius!"

He smiled, and thought to himself, At least she doesn't hate me.

"I didn't think I would see anyone while I was here this time," she said smiling, "Why are you here so early?"

"Mum just kind of shoved floo powder at me and told me to leave. I suppose she wants to spread out the luxury of me being gone as much as possible," Sirius replied, in a very melancholy tone.

"You sound miserable," she added.

"Way to point out the obvious," he muttered,

"Haven't had a good summer?" Estelle said quietly, reaching out and gabbing his hand.

He glanced at their touching hands, "I usually don't."

"I'm sorry," she let go of his hand.

"Want to go and have an ice cream?" he asked.

Smiling, she replied, "Sure."

the two of them set off towards Florean Flortscue's Ice Cream parlor, walking close, with hands brushing. for some reason, she was the only girl who made him hesitate to grab her hand.

They passed Gambol and Japes Wizarding Joke Shop, Pottidge's Cauldron Shop, and Knockturn Alley. Sirius gave a weary glance down the alley that Mrs. Potter had told he and James to stay out of all the other years he'd come to shop for his school supplies. It wasn't a huge surprise, but he caught a glimpse Bellatrix's husband and a younger man who looked a lot like him.

He instinctively grabbed Estelle's wrist and pulled her out of view of anyone down that Alley. If there was a band of dark wizards killing non-pure-bloods, that was a prime location for them. Estelle was a prime target for them.

"Don't take my arm off," Estelle hissed.

"Sorry," Sirius muttered letting go.

The two of them sat quietly at a table and found it to be slightly awkward with just the two of them at first. Maybe she was giving him excuses for why she didn't want to be more than friends. maybe she just really didn't want to...

Sirius pushed that thought away for now.

"Why didn't you go to James' this summer?" Estelle asked, finally.

That was a good questioned. "I don't know," Sirius replied. Now, he had a whole new worry. "Have you talked to James this summer?"

"Not much," she replied.

Sirius sighed heavily.

"What's wrong?" Estelle questioned, looking slightly alarmed.

"Now, I'm worried about James," Sirius muttered, "Not to mention it's really bugging me that I just saw Bellatrix's husband down Knockturn Alley which seems to confirm my suspicion that he and Bellatrix are part of those dark wizards."

"You think?" Estelle whispered.

Sirius nodded, "Bellatrix did this...curse on me. I don't know what it was," he said in a hushed voice, "but the pain was enough to drive someone mad."

"Did you tell someone?"

"No," Sirius muttered, "it's more complex than that. She's mad."

The rest of the summer seemed to drag on forever. It seemed like September first was never going to come. Finally, he was so relieve when it did. There were so many things on his mind, though, on top of his animagus training. By the end of the month, if they had enough time to do it, they should be able to turn into animals.

Remus had been given a prefect badge, which he seemed to have mixed feelings about. Sirius and James found it almost amusing what they could get away with this way. Except, Lily Evans was the other prefect.

When Sirius had asked James about the summer, he was reluctant to respond. When he finally did, he admitted his father was at St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, but wouldn't say what for.

Their first Transfiguration lesson began with, "This is your O.W.L. year. I will expect some of you to pass your O.W.L.s and g onto N.E.W.T.s in your sixth year, though others...I will expect you try your best either way."

"We'll be fine," Sirius muttered to James.

James grinned.

"I will not tolerate much in my class this year," McGonagall added at the end, eyeing James and Sirius.

By the time Friday came around, Sirius had already been given detention, therefor he found himself behind on homework. James was complaining that homework was clashing with Quidditch practice. Estelle, Remus and Peter worked on their homework together, and didn't seem to have any complaints except for the heavier load. Although, Peter admitted he thought he might not pass any of his O.W.L.s.

Lily Evans stayed on their case more than usual.

Sirius would always well her they already had a baby-sitter and point to Remus.

Finally, there was a free night, and although there was homework to be done, it was Friday night. The time just seemed perfect.

"Today is the day," Sirius said crossing the floor, "We've been at this for over a year. It's time."

James nodded.

"We're going to do it," Sirius added, "and you three have to be confident, too."

Peter swallowed the lump in his throat and nodded.

"Right," Estelle replied, "I can just feel it."

"Great!" Sirius grinned. He looked at the three of them, and scratched his head, "Peter, you're going first."

Peter's eyes widened, "Me?"

"Yeah," James said, "come on. Who knows, you might turn into a lion."

Sirius grinned, "Don't be disappointed if you don't."

Peter chuckled.

"Okay, just clear your mind...and feel. Feel your emotions and your soul," Sirius said, "as lame as that sounds. Keep your mind free, except for the animal that should soon fill it."

"Your animagus comes from your heart, it shows what you truly are, and may often benefit you," Estelle read, "When your animal comes to mind, want it. Want it more than anything you've ever wanted in your life."

Very, very slowly, Peter shrank. His ears shifted upward, his eyes turned beady, and his face turned into a snout. Tiny paws replaced his hands. He was a fat, brown rat with a tail that looked like a worm.

"What..." Sirius muttered crouching, "Peter?"

The rat squeaked and ran in a circle. Suddenly, he shifted back. His eyes were wide, "I did it."

"You certainly did!" Estelle exclaimed.

"Shut up," Sirius growled.

"Well, sorry," Estelle muttered, "it's exciting."

"You're next," Sirius said.

"Me? Why not James," Estelle questioned.

James shrugged, "I'll go. I really want to."

"Fine. Estelle's after you," Sirius said, "I'm last."

"Best for last?" Estelle muttered.

"Exactly."

James stood away from the rest of them. He needed a little less encouragement than Peter. Although, it was the oddest thing, watching it happen slowly, it also looked painful. His hands and feet turned to hooves as he bent down to all fours. He sprouted antlers. Then, a young stag stood before them, tail flickering.

With wide eyes, Sirius stepped forward, "I can't believe it!"

James shifted back.

"Does it hurt?" Estelle questioned.

"No," James replied, "It's kind of weird...but it doesn't hurt." James proceeded to shift a second time, except it was much quicker this time.

"If nothing else, we have a coat hanger," Sirius muttered.

When James shifted back, he said, "Oh, shut up."

"Alright, Prongs," Sirius said grinning.

"Go on, Estelle," James said.

Estelle stepped out, and let her mind go blank. When she began to feel, she wanted it, and her body began to shrink as her hands turned to small paws. Her ears shifted to points and she sprouted grey fur with patched of black and brown. She was a cat, with eyes still blue. Her tail swished once.

"Should've know she'd be a cat," Sirius said, crouching to look closely at her. She meowed in response.

Suddenly, she shifted back, still crouching and even with Sirius. "What's what supposed to mean?"

Sirius grinned. They both stood up right.

"Okay, Sirius," Peter said.

Without any warning, Sirius began shifting. His face elongated, his hands curled to paws. Soon, he was a black shaggy dog.

"That certainly explains a lot," James whispered to Peter, who chuckled.

Sirius shifted back, grinning, "And that is exactly why we don't get along."

Estelle snorted, "I can see that now."

The day was done, and they were ready for the next full moon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, this wasn't as good as it could've been. I had a really hard time being creative with the animagus situation. I really wanted to include the first time they shifted in here though.

Someone should comment, and tell me their opinion...or just comment. period.