Sequel: Don't Forget

Maybe Memories

Sirius' Flawed Logic

Christmas holidays approached. The third full moon came and went smoothly. Remus was hardly hurting himself at all now. The snow had made the trip much harder to hide. Still, it was worth it.

Sirius spent the holidays with James. He received a letter from a familiar owl of his cousin's. Simply expecting a Happy Christmas , he got a bit of a surprise.

Dear Sirius,

I hope you're having a nice Christmas. Honest, I hate to give you such news on a holiday, but I must. Bellatrix and her husband have been accused of being death eaters by the Ministry. I, myself, don't think the accusation is far fetched in the least. Although, there isn't a thing they can do unless they're caught or witnessed. This rubbish is killing me.

Mostly, I tell you this to make you aware of how real and immediate these threats are. You've been talking about Estelle a lot and I'm afraid being so close to you will be increasing her danger, and putting you into danger too. I'm not discouraging anything, because you can't help your heart. I am encouraging you to take in as much Defense Against The Dark Arts as available and watch yourself. Keep your friends into it as well.

I'm terribly worried for Nymphadora and Ted, I've kept in tough with Dumbledore and I know you're safe at Hogwarts. Stay close with Dumbledore in years to come. It will come in handy, I assure you. He is one of the greatest wizards of all time and he highly opposes this dark cause. He also claims to know You-Know-Who well enough.

Sorry for such harshness this holiday, but you've got to know. Try to enjoy them anyway and read the book that I got for you.

Love, Andromeda Tonks


Sirius let James read the letter while he scanned the index of 'Blocking Hexes and Counter-curses'.

The return to school was a blur. The days were looking darker and darker as murders began to appear inside the Daily Prophet.

Sirius found Estelle on the edge of a couch in the common room staring at the fire. Lily was beside her, doing some sort of homework. She didn't seem to be concerned about Estelle's discomfort.

"Hey, Evans," Sirius said, "you mind if I take your seat?"

Estelle looked up at him and quickly returned her eyes to the fire.

"I don't really think Estelle wants you sitting next to her," Lily replied.

With eyebrows furrowed, Sirius questioned, "Why not?"

"It's fine, Lily, really," Estelle said.

Lily shrugged and gathered her things.

"What was that about?" Sirius questioned, taking the spot Lily was in.

Sighing, Estelle looked at the ceiling, "I understand that you're highly upset about your family as of recently, and I don't blame you for that. However, I do blame you for...well...about you and Abigail Layton..."

"Abigail? What the bloody hell...?" Sirius questioned, "Estelle, okay...to begin things off, I haven't been able to be around another girl without thinking about you."

Estelle just starred at him.

"I haven't been able to get you off of my mind, and Abigail tends to exaggerate things. It's not like whatever you've heard is true. If it's bothering you that much, it isn't true, because--"

"Just stop it," Estelle said, "I didn't honestly believe any of it."

"Let me ask you something; why don't you believe me when I tell you I love you?" Sirius questioned.

Estelle shook her head, "I don't understand your logic."

"My logic?" Sirius questioned.

"You claim to love me, yet going on dates and snogging with random girls is all you ever do!"she explained quickly.

Sirius shook his head, "But all my thoughts are of you."

Estelle rolled her eyes, "Sirius--"

"I'm not lying!" he spat.

Without another word, Estelle pulled him into a hug.

Weeks rolled by, until another cold full moon had come to pass. Soon, Valentine's Day was upon them again. Sirius trashed about ten Valentines.

"I really hate Valentine's Day," Estelle said, "Can we go to the Three Broomsticks and pretend it's not some pathetic holiday?"

"Hey, Evans," James said, "you want to go and get tea with me?"

Lily laughed and went out the portrait hole.

"Yeah..." James muttered.

After the little incident, James was in a terrible mood. Remus refused to look up from his book. Estelle was skulking because Jasper Bones wouldn't leave her alone and Sirius was fuming. Peter was trying to lighten the mood with small talk, but it just wasn't happening.

Another full moon approached before they knew it. Mid-day Madame Pomfrey was taking Remus down to the Shrieking Shack. Snape's eyes were glues out the window.

"Hey, Snivilly," Sirius said trying to get his attention. When Snape didn't respond, he continued, "What are you looking at?"

"Your little friend," Snape replied.

Sirius started to spit insults at him, or hex him, but instead another idea came to his head. "Curious are you?"

Snape didn't say anything, just watched as Remus disappeared behind the Whomping Willow.

"You know, if you touch the knot on the trunk of the Whomping Willow with a stick, it calms it," Sirius said.

Snape looked at Sirius, then back outside. Even Snape wasn't stupid enough to try that. Laughing, Sirius strode down the corridor.

As twilight drew near, the three of them and Wormtail went down to the Willow. A few stars were already hanging in the dark blue sky. A line of yellow and orange was on the horizon line. Out from behind the mountains, an orange full moon peaked out.

"Hey," James whispered, "what's that?"

A dark figure was standing near the Whomping Willow, holding a long stick.

Estelle gasped, "It's going to see Remus, and worse, reach a werewolf."

"Oh no..." Sirius muttered.

James moved out from under the invisibility cloak and ran towards the tree clutching Wormtail. He put the rat down, who ran to the knot. Quickly, James dived down the tunnel. "Hey!" he called, "Hey turn around!"

The figure, which was Snape, glanced at James over his shoulder while continuing forward.

"Severus, please!" James exclaimed, "Don't!"

But it was too late, Snape had reached the end of the tunnel. James ran as quickly as he could, and grabbed Snape around the chest.

"Get off me, Potter!" Snape exclaimed.

With all he could, James pulled Snape backwards. When a fully shifted werewolf faced them, Snape squalled with fright. He and James ran out of the tunnel, with Moony on their tail. As they reached the exit, James shifted.

On hind legs, Prongs kicked at Moony, and knocked Snape backwards. Moony howled, but turned quickly and scampered towards the forbidden forest.

Sirius' stomach twisted in knots, as he watched.

Quickly, James shifted back. "Are you okay?"

"James!" Estelle exclaimed, coming out from under the cloak, "What did you just do!?"

Peter had shifted back now, too. His eyes were wide with shock.

James shook his head, "Well, I had to do something!"

Scrambling to his feet, Snape was trying to speak, "You--B--I...Headmaster...!"

"You heard him," Estelle said, "Let's go!"

The four of them; James and Estelle in the front, Peter trailing behind and Sirius with a tight chest, furthest behind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Soooo...my version of the events.