Sequel: Don't Forget

Maybe Memories

The End of Seventh Year

The nice, bright spring weather didn't match the attitudes around Hogwarts castle. On top of the madness inside the Daily Prophet, final exams were coming up. It was finally sinking in that this was the Marauders last year at Hogwarts and it was almost over. It was a sign of freedom, but also sadness, for Hogwarts served as a second home to so many.

The Gryffindor common room was quiet. Lily had already gone to bed.

"Sirius..." James said, eye full of concern, "I want to ask you something."

"Yeah, Prongs. Anything," Sirius replied.

"When Lily and I get married, if I ever get the guts to ask her..."James sighed. He smiled, "Will you be my best man?"

Grinning, Sirius replied, "Of course. You'll get the courage, mate. If you don't, you'll regret it."

"I know," James said, "Thanks. This subject has got me all choked up. She scares me, like actually scares me."

"You really love her, don't you?"

James nodded, "I'm afraid she'll say no."

"She loves you too," Sirius said, "I can see it when you two are together. And...if by some crazy chance she says no... that's the worst that can happen, right?"

"I hope," James swallowed.

The last full moon at Hogwarts was something the marauders all took to heart. The full moon had represented their friendship. That day, they were all antsy, yet hoped it went by as slowly as possible.

When twilight was approaching, Professor Dumbledore met Remus outside of the portrait hole.

"Hello, Professor..." Remus said, with a half-smile.

"Ah, Remus," Dumbledore smiled gently, "I shall accompany you on your small trip this evening."

"Thank you," Remus said, "It reminds me of my first trip. I never properly thanked you for staying with me."

Dumbledore held up his hand, "And there's no need now."

As they approached the entrance hall, Remus began, "It's going to be hard away from Hogwarts on night like these."

Dumbledore nodded, "I'm sure you'll manage."

"I suppose I'll make a trip to my parents' and have them lock me in the basement. It doesn't bother me. I can't remember his misery...unless I wake up with my arm half mauled..."

"You separate your lycanthropy from yourself," Dumbledore said.

"That's not me, Professor," Remus defended himself, "I could never associate myself with its behavior."

"We all have an inner monster, a weakness, you know," Dumbledore pointed out, "It's part of you, Remus. It's your weakness. I've thought many times that you've done a wonderful job in overcoming it. You've advanced much father than most of your kind."

"I suppose," Remus replied, "It's very difficult most of the time. If I didn't have James, Sirius, and Estelle, I just don't know what I'd do. And, you, of course, sir. You've allowed me to come here."

"I had faith in you, Remus," Dumbledore said, "I still do. In the future, if you ever need anything at all, do not hesitate to ask."

"Professor, it's just, I feel as if I owe you. I'll be helping you if you ever need it, sir."

Dumbledore smiled, "Ah, you owe me nothing."

They made their way down a slope of a hill to the entrance of the tunnel.

"Sir, you really don't have to come down here," Remus said.

"But I'd like to."

Remus and Dumbledore sat talking for nearly an hour, when the sun was almost down. Dumbledore bid his farewell and closed the door on Remus. He gazed back toward the castle, catching three sets of feet, for the Marauders had outgrown James' Invisibility Cloak.

Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, Prongs and Keesa spent their last night prowling the Hogwarts grounds. Padfoot and Moony wrestled playfully. Keesa observed, licking her paws while Prongs carried Wormtail in his antlers.

The following morning, Remus had shifted back, lying out on the floor of the Shrieking Shack. Keesa uncurled from her ball and stretched before shifting back.

"You alright?" Estelle asked.

Remus sat up. "Yeah," he replied hoarsely, "a bit sore, but I think Moony was entertained."

A streak of sunlight peaked through a piece of broken glass. Estelle smiled and moved forward. "Good. You think it has to do with us or the time period?"

He shrugged, "Probably both."

"Are you going to have your parents lock you in the basement...when we leave?"

"Sounds so terrible doesn't it?" Remus sighed. "Yes."

"Well, if you ever need--"

"I know."

Padfoot yawned and shifted back. "Good morning Remus, Estelle. How's everything?"

"Good," Remus said. Estelle nodded.

Sirius stretched, "Good."

Prongs and Wormtail soon followed the trend of waking.

"Can you believe it?" James questioned.

"We'll stay in contact," Estelle reassured him.

"Hogwarts was my home," Sirius said, "The first place that ever felt like home."

"I've learned so much about myself," Estelle said.

"I don't know what I'd do without you guys," Remus agreed, "This is home to me."

"We'll have the Order--"

"Sirius!" Remus hissed.

"Oh, come on mate," Sirius said, "It's not a big deal. We'll have meeting to look forward to."

"It's hard to think that we'll be outside of this sort of safety," James said.

"Voldemort--"

Peter cringed.

"Don't fear a name," Sirius said, "fear of a name increases the fear of the thing itself."

Nodding, Peter said nothing.

"Just say it," Sirius said, "One time."

Peter said nothing.

"Sirius, stop it," Estelle said.

"Why? There's nothing to be afraid of," Sirius protested.

"The Dark Lord possess powers that we can't even imagine," Peter said, "You should be worried. We all should."

"Peter's right," James said, "we've got to be realistic about what we're facing."

"It's still Saturday, is it not?" Sirius questioned, yawning.

"Yeah," Estelle said.

"For this one day," Sirius proposed, "let's sleep. Let our worries fade." he yawned and lied back on the palm of his hands. Estelle laid on his chest.

James leaned back against the wall. "I'm going to miss this."

"We'll still do this," Sirius said, "just not here."

Estelle chuckled.

Remus smiled ad glanced down at his hand, which was barely a centimeter away from Estelle's. he began to move his hand away, but she moved her hand slightly toward his, where the edges of their fingers began to lace.

"James, you're getting married," Sirius said.

"Yeah," James laughed a little.

The five of them slept on the floor of the Shrieking Shack.

The week that followed passed by much to quickly. it was terribly sad to be leaving. The train ride home was very numbing. The buzz at King's Cross Station seemed to be louder. There were more tears, hugs and goodbyes than ever.

The Marauders parted ways, except for James and Sirius. Estelle went with her father. Peter went with his mother. Remus went with his mother and father.

After I left Hogwarts, everything went downhill. Everything...
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not planning to end it here. Who wants more? (: