Sequel: Don't Forget

Maybe Memories

Sirius' Temper

"A new Minister for Magic at a time like this?" Sirius questioned, "I don't trust the Ministry. Not at all."

Estelle scanned the front of the Daily Prophet that Sirius has just slammed down.

"They might as well induct Voldemort while they're at it," Sirius continued.

Dumbledore rested his cheek on the palm of his hand, "Sirius, please..."

Sirius sat down, huffing.

"Thank you," Dumbledore said, "Now, listen to me. Voldemort has marked the Potters for death."

The room went still.

"What?" James finally said, after a moment.

Lily grabbed his arm.

"Voldemort will come after you."

"Why?" Lily asked, trembling a little.

"Well," Dumbledore began, "isn't it obvious? You're talented with magic and you are fighting Voldemort rather than joining him."

"How do you know it's them specifically?" Sirius questioned, hoping there might be a mistake.

"A death eater told me," Dumbledore said, "One who has seemed to have a change of heart. I certainly can't trust him entirely, but I do trust that this is true."

"Who told you?"James asked.

"Severus Snape."

"Snape?" Sirius exclaimed, "Snape told you?!"

"Severus has informed me that Voldemort has marked the Potters for death, yes," Dumbledore held up his hand to silence Sirius' burst of outrage.

"But what are we supposed to do?" Lily asked, "Are we to go into hiding?"

"That is a future plan, yes," Dumbledore replied.

Sirius was seated on the steps outside of Honeyduke's. He'd been patrolling Hogsmeade all day. Worries and memories clouded his brain. A pleasant thought hadn't entered his mind since he's heard that James and Lily and their unborn child were marked for death.

On top of this, he knew that right now, at that moment, Estelle and Remus were alone in his house. The thought has really started to infuriate him. While he sat out in the cold, waiting for something terrible to happen, Estelle and Remus were drinking tea in front of the fireplace. They secretly enjoyed each other's company, secretly enjoyed the absence of Sirius. Estelle wouldn't cross a line, no, but they would talk about books and stars, things that Sirius would hardly listen to.

He shook that thought away. He was sitting across the street from the place where he and Estelle had first screamed at each other about their feelings about each other. He tried to make her jealous by snogging another girl. It seemed like just yesterday. But it was 8 years ago.

His brother was dead. His father was dead. He hadn't heard from his favorite cousin in months. His other cousin was a death eater. His other cousin married one. His mother still hated him. His best friend was on a death list. He hadn't had a proper conversation with Wormtail in a long, long time. Moony was trying to move in his girlfriend.

Sighing he looked at the packed-down snow under his feet. There was no hope left. Did he even want to go home?

He did anyway. Then and there, he apparated to his front step. He opened the door and shed layers of clothes in the foyer. Then, he went to the living room, to find tea being drunk in front of the fireplace, almost exactly as he had thought it. Just Remus was on the arm chair and Estelle was on the couch.

"Sirius," she smiled at him.

He couldn't force himself to smile back. So, he went to the kitchen to pour himself a cup of tea.

Estelle followed him, "Are you alright?"

"Fine," Sirius replied.

She hugged him. He hugged her back and kissed her forehead.

He sat down and asked to be left alone.

Crashes and bangs echoed down the alley. Witches and wizards fled or fought. Five death eaters were raiding Diagon Alley, stripping it of a half-bloods or less.

Many familiar faces of the Order had shown up to fight the small band of death eaters, worried there were more to come. The suspicions were right, because more death eaters came from the shadows of Knockturn Alley. All of them were masked expect for Bellatrix Lestrange, who proudly wore a grin.

Sirius went after her. He always did, but she was just as good as him at dueling. She escaped again, without a scratch. It didn't seem to matter if death eaters were being killed or taken to Azkaban, because more and more of them were being recruited.

After nearly an hour the death eaters fled, content with the deaths and amount of destruction they'd caused.

That night, Sirius and Estelle had returned home before Remus came in. When he did, Sirius was unable to hold his tongue.

"Where were you?" Sirius questioned, "Hm? You left the house and then all of a sudden we're being called to Diagon Alley."

Remus looked oddly at Sirius, "What--"

"Don't play stupid," Sirius said, "You weren't at Diagon Alley today fighting."

"I was--"

"You weren't."

"Sirius..." Estelle started.

"I would rather not have a coward in my house," Sirius said, "A traitor."

"A traitor?" Remus questioned, "Sirius, you're barking mad! I was inside Flourish and Blott's."

"You weren't!"

"How would you know?" You're too bust chasing after your cousin."

"At least I have a target."

"Sirius!" Estelle said, "top it."

"No."

Remus sighed, "Just forget it. I'll leave."

Estelle started, "Remus, you don't--"

"Yes, I do," he said, "It's fine." He left the room.

Sirius crossed his arms.

"You're ridiculous!" Estelle screamed at him. "You're so hard-headed! Don't speak to me!" She left the room. To be with Remus.

Sirius kicked the door frame.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hm