Sequel: Don't Forget

Maybe Memories

Harry's First Birthday

Spring lead into a hot, miserable summer. Sirius still felt the need to patrol Hogwarts, even though all the students had left. Professor Slughorn announced his retirement. It seemed odd because he acted like he enjoyed his job very much.

"What's Slughorn going to do without kids to put on his shelf?" Sirius asked. "He won't manage."

"Maybe Dumbledore'll get someone better, at least more exciting," James said.

"Professor Slughorn was a wonderful teacher!" Lily exclaimed, "A great loss to Hogwarts."

Sirius rolled his eyes.

Estelle gave a small smile from her seat on the floor next to Harry, who was busy playing with blocks.

James rolled his eyes too, "God, that class was terrible."

Fearing leaving the house often, due to what had happened to Daphne, Sirius and Estelle had to send them Harry's presents by owl. Sirius was disappointed that he didn't get to see Harry on his actual birthday or his reaction to his present. He'd gotten Harry a small, toy broomstick.

Estelle wasn't very happy about it either. She wrapped the broom and blanket (she'd gotten him).

"You think its even safe to send this?" she questioned.

Sirius sighed, "Well, Godric's Hollow is full of wizarding families. I'm sure it won't be a give away or anything. Still, wait until sundown."

Sighing, she sat next to him, "I hate this."

Another powerful family of wizards were killed by death eaters. The McKinnon family, who were also involved with the Order, of course.

Sirius started feeling uneasy. The idea of more Order members dying reminded him that James and Lily were on the list of most 'wanted' wizards.

He tried to push those thoughts away. Although, the moment he did, Estelle was unable to control herself. She cried until she could hardly breathe.

"I'm so scared," she sobbed.

"Me too," Sirius admitted, in a whisper.

Dear Padfoot (and Keesa),

Thank you, thank you, for Harry's birthday presents! I must say, the broom was his favorite, by far. One year old and already zooming around on a broomstick, he looked so pleased with himself. I've enclosed a picture so that you can see. You know, it only rises two feet off the ground, but he nearly killed the cat and smashed a horrible vase Petunia sent me for Christmas (no complaints there). Of course, James thought it was so funny, says he's going to be a great Quidditch player, but we've had to pack away a lot of ornaments and make sure we don't take our eyes off of him once he gets going. I might add that the blanket is a real hit at bed time, especially when we remind him its from you two.

We had a very quiet birthday tea, just us and old Bathilda, who has always been sweet to us and who dotes on Harry. We were so sorry you couldn't come or we couldn't visit, but the Order's got to come first, and Harry's not old enough to know it's his birthday anyway! James is getting a bit frustrated shut up here, he tried not to show it, but I can tell-- also Dumbledore's still got his Invisibility Cloak, so no chance of a little excursion. If you could visit, it would sheer him up so much, Wormy was here last weekend, I thought he seemed down, but that was probably the news about the McKinnons', I cried all night when I heard.

Bathilda drops in most days, she's the most fascinating old thing with the most amazing stories about Dumbledore, I'm not sure he'd have been pleased if he knew! I don't know how much to believe, actually, because it seems so incredible that Dumbledore could have ever have been friends with Gellert Grindelwald. I think her mind is going, personally!

Lots of love,
Lily


Sirius smiled and folded the letter. He put it inside the drawer on the bedside table. He looked at the photograph one more time. Harry was on the broom Sirius had bought for him. James' legs were chasing him and Lily stood on the sidelines laughing.

Smiling still, Sirius tucked it away too.
♠ ♠ ♠
That letter (except for a few little added things) is entirely J.K. Rowling's. I just used it for dramtic effect/touchy heart-warming things.
Anyway, yeah. There.