Remember Me

Bennett & Gwynne

“Gwynne!” the young man called as he caught a glimpse of her golden locks of hair and amber colored eyes when she rushed through the hallway, carrying baskets of flower arrangements in her arms. He briskly ran up next her as she paced quickly through the corridor.

“I’m somewhat preoccupied at the moment,” Gwynne muttered, quickening her pace.

“Would you spare some time so that I may have a word?” he asked.

“I do not have the time to go ambling, Bennett.” she snapped. “My sister is getting married tomorrow, and not just to anyone, but to a royal courtier! The guests will expect nothing less than perfection, and several decisions regarding the amount of guests and the feast to follow the ceremony still have not yet been made. Only God knows why I agreed to arrange the whole nuptial in the first place.”

Bennett swiftly took the baskets of flowers from Gwynne’s arms and placed them on the table beside him. “Just for a moment, love. I have something of the utmost importance I’ve been waiting to share with you.”

Gwynne let out a sigh. “A moment, and one moment alone. I have much to accomplish before dawn, or my mother will certainly have my head.”

And so, Bennett led Gwynne out to the garden by the hand. Countless thoughts shot through his mind. He didn’t know what to tell Gwynne. He took a deep breath and gave her hand a squeeze. When she lifted her gaze to meet his eyes, an expression of worry flashed across her face.

“What’s wrong?” Gwynne asked, and her cheeks grew flustered.

“War is anon. Lord Kintsley wishes for me to ride by his side, as his loyal squire. If I seize this opportunity, I’ll have my fingertips brushing against my dream.” Bennett gently placed his hands on Gwynne’s shoulders. “If I can prove myself in battle, milord will dub me a knight.”

“You’re leaving then, aren’t you?” Gwynne said, her voice slightly shaky.

Bennett wiped a tear trickling down her cheek from the corner of her eye, and whispered, “Care to come with me?”

“You know I can’t.” Gwynne sobbed, pulling away from his embrace. More tears began to stream down her face. “You don’t have to fight. Let the knights kill their own adversaries! Why should you risk your life to engage in a battle that will solve nothing? You’re incredibly pernicious with a blade, but what if your skill and quick thinking wasn’t enough to protect you from that of another? Would a blow from one of your foes with a long spear not severely scathe you? The arguments of old men can and should be settled with words rather than with weapons. I beseech you; please don’t go off gallivanting into such madness. I wouldn’t be able to bear it if you took part in such a barbaric human custom with Kintsley’s frame of mind. Glory just isn’t worth dieing for.”

“Darling, I must go.” Bennett whispered, cupping his hand on her cheek and gently stroking it with the tips of his fingers, “This is the only way I’ll ever make something of my life. This is a portentous matter, calling me to gather up my courage and make my name known. I don’t want to be known as the gangling stable boy, ‘squire to Kintsley’, from now until the end of my days. This is the only way.”

Gwynne swallowed back a cry of protest. She wanted Bennett to tell her that he’d never leave her, but she knew it was his duty. By objecting, she was discouraging him from pursuing his dream. She sighed, closed her eyes for a moment, and felt the warmth of his hand on her cheek.

“I’ll be waiting for you when you return,” she said, looking up at him with a faint smile.

Bennett stared into Gwynne’s beautiful eyes, glistening with her tears. He pressed his lips against hers. The passionate kiss tasted of the salt of Gwynne’s tears, and when they both pulled away for a brief moment, each was out of breath. They embraced each other wholeheartedly. Bennett felt the rising and falling of Gwynne’s chest against his own, and as she inhaled and exhaled, her heart quickened, desperate to force some air into her lungs as she stood there embracing the love of her life, not knowing if she would ever see him again.

“Mark my words,” Bennett whispered into her ear, the warmth of his breath sending a shiver down Gwynne’s spine. “Whenever you yearn for my return, simply look into your heart and remember me in your thoughts. For although I know not how long I’ll be away, I know that someday we will be together again. Just you and I.”

“I’ll always remember,” Gwynne murmured.
♠ ♠ ♠
_________________________________________________________________
Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of action based on above, is strictly prohibited.

© 2009 imagine27

Please, please, please let me know what you think! All comments and opinions are appreciated. Thank you so very much!
~imagine27 <3