Status: Finished.

I Fought It For A Long Time Now

Leave Your Finger Prints

Alex was the main attraction, the cute mysterious new kid, girls couldn't get enough of him. Though he wanted nothing other then to fit in, he was slightly enjoying the attention. He knew he wanted to be in a band, but how do you go about joining one? Only one rational idea snapped into his brain: enter the talent show.

He raced home that evening, as fast as his skateboard would allow him without the chances of an accident. Alex hesitated, though for a moment, at his brother's door. His fingers spread to grasp the knob, he slowly creaked it open.

Alex stood in the doorway looking at the room that was stuck in time several years back. The room still smells like Jared's cologne, he noted as he took one of the guitars off the wall. Alex crossed the room and took a random pick off the dresser, tempted to take his brother's lucky skull one.

"What are you doing?"

Alex jumped, frightened momentarily by his father's voice. He stared up at the aged man, a sheepish look displayed across his face. "Jared said I could have his guitars."

"You knew he was going to drive off the bridge?"

"Well no, I thought he gave up on music."

"I forbid you to use them," his father said clearing his throat and standing taller.

"They're mine," Alex replied putting the strap of the guitar over his shoulder, awaiting his father to move.

He signed up for the talent show the next day, every day following he practiced vocal exercises. The day before the tryouts he played the first song he had learned, one of Jared's.

Alex was nervous for the tryouts, he'd never played in front of anyone let alone sing. This talent show, in his mind, would determine if he was going to be the rock star he wanted to be.

The day of the tryouts he was a shaky mess, but Alex did go up on stage and perform. Alex also made it into the talent show, he left with a confident smile plastered on his face.

Alex made a bold move when he got home, he retrieved his brother's lucky pick and grabbed a chain from his desk drawer. Returning to his room he held a flame to a piece of metal, piercing the pick and forming it into a charm. Putting the necklace around his neck calmed him, he felt connected to his brother once again.

The next day he fussed over a song to play for the talent show, but he couldn't read a music sheet for his life. Alex opted to writing his own song, as a musician he had to do it regardless in the future. The song reflected his semi-angered emotions he had kept bottled up towards his brother. He named the song after a lyric from the chorus, We All Fall Down.

Jack wanted a band, he figured once he hit high school the good musicians would be taken. He had some idea what kind of feel he wanted to his music, but how could he start a band if he wasn't a lead singer?

Though friendly, Jack didn't know how to approach his classmates. He relied on the talent show coming up at the end of the month, singers would most likely show up to give their voices a test.

Jack convinced May to come with him, he knew she was part of the reason he'd gotten so far with his music - he wanted to set a good example for her. The two were anxious for the night to come, they sat down thinking about ways to ask people to join the band.

The day came quickly enough, May and Jack sat up front, each with a pamphlet in front of them. They planned on writing down a number between one and ten for each of the artists.

Jack scrunched up his face when a girl went up on stage and did an opera like song, May covered her ears. When Alex got onto the stage, Jack felt something in his core tighten up, but he didn't know why. Jack watched him brush his hair aside and begin to play, Jack instantly knew he had to introduce himself. Barakat glanced at his sister, she was leaning forward in her seat; it looked like they had picked a lead singer.

Alex looked out at the dark crowd once more before walking off stage. To his surprise, people were clapping and whistling. Alex sat down with the other contestants in the back room, a smile on his face, he knew he was going to get somewhere with his music. He unknowingly grabbed the pick around his neck, Jared was always there with him.