Status: Finished.

I Fought It For A Long Time Now

Honest, This Breaks My Heart

The next day, during their elective period, Rian approached Jack. He sat in the computer chair, smiling at the rightful owner until the bell rang, he'd snagged the seat. Jack paid no mind to it, he'd rather Rian then Tina, she wanted nothing more then to have Jack's undivided attention.

Rian opened up a window of Notepad and made the window tiny, leaving it at the bottom of his screen closest to Jack. He wrote a couple sentences saying how they needed to talk about something important before he elbowed Jack to read it.

"About what?" Barakat whispered in reply.

Rian typed out one word, Alex.

"Is he okay?" Jack asked just as quiet, not thinking about opening a window on his own computer.

Dawson shrugged, I believe he is, I'm just referring to the party.

Jack shot him a look.

If you like him, admit it, I want to help if I can...

"Have you gone to Alex?"

Rian shook his head, keeping his promise to Alex.

Too afraid to find out Alex didn't like him back, Jack looked Rian in the eyes and one said, "Of course I don't like him, he's my best friend."

As well as Rian knew Jack, he wasn't quite sure if if Jack was lying. Rian wasn't sure what to do, he didn't want to let Alex down, but if Jack truly didn't like him, he would have to.

Rian did what he knew best, ask Kara for help. That evening before band practice, Kara went to Rian's house on her way to work. He explained everything to her, very glad she was at the party to witness the kiss herself.

Kara's reply was, "We can't force Jack to admit something he's not ready to, the best you can do is talk to Alex."

Halfway through band practice, Jack and Zack went upstairs to get snacks. Rian sat next to Alex, not wanting to even have this conversation, but he knew Kara was right.

"Alex, I talked to Jack."

He put his water bottle down and smiled at Rian, "Well?"

"He said he doesn't like you."

Alex looked down, pressing his index finger and thumb to the bridge of his nose. At that moment, he felt as lost as he did when Jared died. He ran his hand down his face, wrapping his fingers around the necklace, pulling it off and throwing it. He rose from his seat and left, not feeling so lucky anymore.

Jack and Zack got downstairs, slightly confused why Alex had stormed past them in the kitchen. When Jack looked at the defected look on Rian's face, he realized what had went on. Rian excused himself and left, Zack soon followed in suit.

Jack sat down in the bean bag chair, wondering how he could possibly fix things. As he stared around the room, he noticed the necklace Alex had thrown. He went over and picked it up, running his fingers over the pick. It was then that Jack was clued in on what he'd truly done; he'd broken his best friend's heart, and his own in the process.