Free Falling

Chapter 3

After Henrik finally stopped kissing me long enough for us to leave, he drove me to the hotel the team was staying at. He took me up to his room and pressed me against the door, kissing me lightly on the mouth. I placed my hands against his firm chest as he drew me further into his room. Needless to say, it was a good night.

||One month later...||

I woke up in the morning to a churning stomach. I pushed myself out of Henrik’s arms and raced to the bathroom. “Kara?” He called, following me down the hallway. I threw up violently and Henrik came in, holding my hair out of my face. “Its okay, Kara,” He said over and over, rubbing my back lightly. I finally finished, tears streaking my cheeks. He helped me up and to the sink where I brushed my teeth to get rid of the puke smell. Pulling my hair back into a ponytail, I turned back to him.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered. He shook his head.

“Don’t apologize,” He said softly, pulling me against him and kissing my forehead lightly. As soon as my stomach settled, we got ready for the day. He had missed practice because of me, and I apologized to him consistently for it, but he waved it off. “I’m sure the guys don’t mind if my missing practice is because I wanted to make sure you were all right,” He pointed out. I grudgingly gave in; there was no was to miss that one. I was okay with it for one morning, but when it kept happening for the next few weeks, I decided there was definitely something wrong. One day after practice, I told Henrik I wanted to go to the hospital to see what was wrong with me. He drove me there and I told the doctor my symptoms. He smiled knowingly and told me I was probably pregnant. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. He did a test and confirmed it. I went back to Henrik and told him what the doctor said. He was overjoyed by the news.

||Two Months Later||

The last few months were hectic as we prepared for the baby as well as mine and Henrik’s wedding before it got too noticeable that I was even having a baby. I told my parents and friends about it, and Melinda was really excited since that meant she could come to the wedding with Patrick and see him again. I was happy that everything was going well.

||Three Months Later, Henrik’s POV||

I was sitting at the arena, waiting for the game to start. I was anxious; I knew it would probably be the last game I could play until after Kara had the baby and our honeymoon was over. As I sat in the locker room, waiting for the game to start, my phone suddenly rang. It was Kara. “Hello?” I answered.

“Henrik, I think I’m going to have the baby,” She said to me. My heart flipped.

“L-let me change, I’ll meet you at the hospital!” I said. Closing my phone, I got out of my gear and changed into my normal clothes. Throwing my stuff into my bag, I zipped it up, grabbed my car keys and raced toward the locker room door.

“Henrik! Where are you going?” Pavel asked me. I explained to him that Kara thought she was having the baby and he raced off to tell Mike Babcock and Nicklas. Both changed and I heard them following me out of the arena. “We’ll meet you there!” Pavel called as we went to our cars. I raced to the hospital, only to get pulled over by a policeman.

“License and registration, please,” He said. I handed them over, drumming my fingers on the steering wheel. “Is there a problem, sir?” The officer asked.

“My fiancée’s having a baby,” I said. He handed my things to me.

“I’ll let it slide for today, but next time, you’ll probably get a ticket,” He warned me. I thanked him and went to the hospital. Running to the desk, I told the woman that Kara might be having the baby, and she led me to the room she was in. I went instantly to her side and she smiled up at me.

“Oh, Henrik, I’m so sorry you had to miss the game!” She cried. I held her hand and told her it was all right.

||Twelve hours later, Kara’s POV||

Just a little while ago, at 7:15 in the morning, little Adrian Henrik Zetterberg was born. Henrik was thrilled to have the baby named after him. Two weeks after Adrian was born, we were allowed to leave th hospital, and two more weeks after that, Henrik and I got married. I love him with all of my heart, no matter how clichéd that is, and I know I’m going to spend the rest of my life with him.