Glowsticks

A Dustland Fairytale

‘Ugh. Can this be even more boring?’ I thought looking at my nails tiredly. I tried everything. Chewing my nails, tugging on my hair, reading a magazine, looking at the small TV in the back of the gas station.

Nothing worked.

Whatever I chose to do, would end up annoying me and I’d trade it for something else. Which would annoy me even worse. So yeah, my plan’s not really that bright. I noticed a man coming towards me, so I sat up straight and hopped off my chair. I stood patiently behind the stool and waited.

I straightened my denim dress, adjusting the rope belt around my waist and cleaned my white ballet flats. I hazily put my hair in a messy bun and stayed there and waited some more.

‘Great. Why do I live in this town again?’ I cleaned the messy stool and proceeded to look at the small town that didn’t even make it on the map. Of course it didn’t. But I liked it that way. Kept the honesty going. There were hardly any robbers and just two murders here in all the I don’t know how many hundreds of years this town existed for.

“Sir, would you like me to help?” I asked gazing at the old man. ‘Poor him; he’s probably lost.’

He turned his head and analyzed me for a bit. I waited with a smile on my face until he came in front of me. He grasped my hands just like a grandpa would and gave me a wise smile. I smiled a bigger smile and he nodded his head.

“Miss, where’s the water?” He asked me in a cheery voice. I looked at him. He had brown suit pants, a striped shirt and a brown hat and a crane. He looked so cute! All dressed up just like they used to.

“In the back of the store. How many bottles do you need?” I waited for his response and he positively beamed at me. I knew he was an old man. And the thought of him going to the back of the store and back here with those heavy bottles in his hands broke my heart. That’s what my youth was for.

“Two, young lady.” I walked to the back of the store and filled two bottles. I brought them steadily back to the stool and placed them there. They were really heavy. And I’m not just saying that.

“Thank you.” Said the old man as I handed him the change.

“No need, sir. That’s why I’m here. At least to make me believe they didn’t hire me just to glance at all the yummy snacks here.” I said and giggled. The old man laughed as well and went to grab the bottles.

I quickly scanned the area. No one was around. Perfect.

“Sir, let me help you. Do you have a car?” He turned his head and cupped my cheeks. I smiled; he was like the grandpa I never had.

“Sure, miss. What’s your name?” He asked me as I grabbed the bottles. We walked to the front and I closed the gas station for a bit. Don’t want to risk it. He led me to his car and I was surprised to see an old white beetle. It was adorable.

I beamed at the car and answered “Audette. Audette Dawsey. But friends call me Andie.” He popped his trunk and I carefully put the bottles inside. When I finished I closed the trunk and waited for him to get inside the car. I want to be sure he’ll be alright.

“Well, Audette. I’m Joseph. Nice to meet you.” He pecked my hand and I blushed a little. ‘Well he certainly has his way with the ladies.’
♠ ♠ ♠
" A dustland fairytale beginning with just another white trash county kiss."
-The Killers