Glowsticks

It Still Remains

"You know, when you said that you just wanted to have fun, I had something else in mind." I stated dryly, looking at the blanket laying in the middle of the street.

Jackson laughed a throaty laugh and crashed down on the hard ground. He lay on his back and gazed at the sky that was filled with stars. I looked uncertainly between him, and my house. I stood up, torn, thinking that maybe I should give Susie a call. Tell her I would run late.

"Oh, for fucks sake, just sit." Jackson groaned, pulling at my dress. I lay down as well, feeling like I was betraying everyone in Rosetown. And nothing but Joseph's kind eyes and Jackson's devilish smile could be seen.

"You know, I did remind you to stop swearing." I mumbled, playing with the hem of my dress. I could feel his eyes burning right through this shield that I was trying to put up. But the butterflies and the funny feelings that exploded from my heart just wouldn't stop.

'Oh, come on. Don't do this to me, Audette. Don't do this to me.' I thought, unaware of my trembling hands. 'From all the people you could have fallen in love with, you chose this slacker and good for nothing-'

My thoughts were abruptly interrupted when pressure was added on my hands. And something inexplicably warm. I looked up, my eyes the size of saucers. Jackson's rough, warm hands were resting on top of mine, nestling them and protecting them. He looked so relaxed, like what he was doing right now was the most normal thing. For me it wasn't. This was Danger Zone.

'-- amazing guy'.

"Um." I probed. I didn't get his attention at all. He, too, was drowned into his own thoughts. I tried pulling my hands back slowly, but each time I tried, he grasped them tighter. My face was on fire.

"Relax, Blushie." He whispered, still thoughtful. I knew I should've been mad right then, I knew I should've gotten up, race inside and call Susie. My mind was working very well. It was my body that wasn't responding at all.

Silence. A comfortable silence in which I tried looking and memorizing Jackson's face as much as I could. My baby blue eyes got big whenever his thumbs caressed my hands. Slowly yet almost melodically, he started to gather courage. I waited. I looked at him again. His torn jeans and blue plaid shirt, with its sleeves pulled up, showed off his toned arms. The gray Chucks were a really unexpected choice but I loved that about Jackson. He could always surprise me. His hair was sitting wildly on his hair, and his eyes seemed peaceful.

"I need to call Susie. She'll worry if I don't." I blurted, unable to take the silence any longer. We were connecting. Connecting on such an intimate level, that it almost felt like we were becoming one. Like after lifetimes of searching, we finally found each other.

"Don't." He grasped my hands again. "Don't you ever do something bad?" He asked, tearing his eyes away from the sky to penetrate my soul. I shrank back.

"Yes, as a matter of fact I do. Plenty of times." I shot. I glanced at the sky. It had never been that shade of dark blue before.

"What?" Jackson chuckled.

I narrowed my eyes and puffed my chest out. "Like not writing in, like not taking the trash out and like not cleaning the house when I'm supposed to."

'Ha.' I thought triumphantly.

"That's called being human, Audette. I asked if you ever did something bad." He quietly said. I wavered.

"Well, I sure made my parents not love me, if that's what you mean." I shot up and started walking hastily back to the safety of my nest. Susie didn't matter anymore. The only thing that mattered right now was to get that stupid aching in my chest to stop.

The wind started to come alive and my hair was floating like silk. I sped up and started jogging.

'Just three feet until I'm home.'

"Not right now, you don't." I heard him say behind me and his strong hands gripped my forearms. Soon enough, I was pushed into him and his arms came around me. I could never find the right words to do this moment justice. We connected. We were the lock and the key was thrown somewhere into the sea. The smooth fabric of the plaid shirt kept my arms warm. The feeling on his fingers on my back, playing with a strand of my hair was exquisite.

"Were you crying?" His shy voice questioned. Something so unexpected of him. To prove his innocence.

"No!" I yelled. I twitched in annoyance. "Just a bad breathing cramp."

"It's too fast, Jackson." I whispered into his neck. I felt him nod his head and we both stood like that for a while. Enjoying the silkiness and the warmth of each other's body and soul.

He kissed my cheek, letting his full lips linger. "Why is it that you're not alive, Audette?"

Another kiss. This time closer to my lips. "Why is it that everyone sees you, yet nobody knows you?"

The next kiss was at the corner of my lips. His soft, fleshy lips stood there for a while. All my body almost convulsed in anticipation and pleasure. "Why don't you surrender to life?"

"Because I can't." I softly said, and a few seconds after, I felt pressure on my lips. He was kissing me. Slowly and beautifully, enjoying the feeling of his lips on my own. Dreaming about the possibilities that were starting to become reality. Thinking about what we've just created.

I looked back at him, gazing into his vivid blue eyes."Because I won't."

With that said, he let go abruptly and I ran back home. To safety. To a place where I could exist and not be forced to live. To take risks and to love. Where time would only be mine.

'You're happy, you're happy, you're happy.'

Good. Now if I believe it, it will be perfect.