Glowsticks

Rootless

Another day came. The sun looked over everything, heating up every house, every tree and every object or human being it ran across. I had always admired the sun. It stood in the sky, all high and mighty, saving us from the coldness and the dark. It changed our appearance. It changed life.

But how could I change anything? My fate was no longer in my hands. My fate was in the visitor of the town. I couldn’t believe that after so may winters, they came back. They shoved themselves back into my life, and I had no money to run off somewhere. And even if I wanted to, I had to make sure to control the uproar Robert would surely cause. Oh, how I resented the now balding man and his bland personality.

“You’re up?” Jackson whispered, his fresh breath caressing the back of my neck. I nodded my head, and turned to look at him. Big mistake. I got lost into his endless blue eyes, and I felt like spilling everything out. It took everything I had in me to hold it back. The truth. The painful truth.

“Yeah.” I breathlessly said and kissed his cheek. He chuckled and pecked my lips, before moving up and dragging me with him. I laughed, not expecting to be carried like a sack of potatoes and enjoyed to short ride to the kitchen.

“For you, ma’am.” He said, bowing and I playfully bowed back. Taking a seat at the table and grabbing a piece of toast and putting honey over it. I closed my eyes in pleasure. It tasted heavenly. “Busy today?” Jackson asked and I shook my head.

“Nope.” I said, holding my mouth to my hand and speaking with my mouth half full. “Why?”

“No reason.” He said and kissed my forehead, before going back into the bedroom to put a shirt over himself. I frowned when I saw him cover his perfect body, and he smirked at my reaction. We finished breakfast in silence, and I washed the dishes, while he took a shower. After I cleaned myself up, we got out of the house, and headed to the shop.

xXx

I was officially bored. I was bored out of my mind. And Jackson wasn’t helping at all. He stood on a chair, hunched over, pretending to be asleep as not to stay awake and even bother to think of activities that would take us out of the rough spot. While I checked the books, making sure I didn’t slack at all, I heard the bell at the door ring, signaling that someone entered the shop. I looked up and I felt my breath shorten and my heart skip a beat. My hands went ice cold and I just stared at the man sitting in front of me, like he was watching my reaction carefully. Noticing that the shuffling had stopped, Jackson looked up at me, and then at the stranger that caused me to look deathly pale.

“What are you doing here?” I venomously asked and Robert shook his shoulders, with a small grin etched on his face. He got closer, and put his hands on the counter, moment when I took my hands and put them at my sides. “I told you never to come here.” I whispered, still trying to keep Jackson from knowing too much.

He put his hands forward and hugged me. He hugged me. I slapped his hands away and glared at him with all my might. So what, he just thought he could prance around, all mighty and forgiving, and expect the same kind of treatment from me? Where was he when I was kicked out? When my friends turned their backs on me? Where were his hugs then?

“Andie, who’s this?” Jackson asked, his voice having a clear edge. He got up and flexed his jaw, trying to keep himself from punching Robert in the face. Robert looked back at the boy in front of him, and smirked knowingly, extending a hand.

“I’m Audette’s brother. I came by to see how she was doing. And you are..?” Robert asked. Jackson drew back, like the words burnt him and I cut in.

“Robert, please get out. I have no desire to talk to you.” I spoke lowly and he nodded his head, looking at me like he was reminding me all the things I did. I averted my gaze and I heard the door close behind him. I exhaled.

That was close.
♠ ♠ ♠
"I'm a stray cat on the roam, choking on a chicken bone.; for a home sweet, no sweet home"
- Marina and The Diamonds